Tools

Any hunting in Greece?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Thanks for any info.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo. How are you going to get to Greece? You coulnd't even get to Buenos Aires. sofa
animal

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have hunted in greece.You can hunt hare with dogs,doves,fox,weasels,wild boar.My grandfather owned a farm in greece and i spent some summers there in my teenage yrs.Hunting starts in late august.The dogs would see the guns and ammo being prepared the night before opening day and got all excited clearing their nasal passages.In the morning we would get on my grandfathers horse pulled wagon dogs following and procced to the hunting lands.When the dogs were involved only the adults would hunt.The dogs would hunt like hell covering large areas and would speak to the hunters with varying pitches in their barks echoing amongst the mountains.When they were in the thorns you would know,when the hare was flushed you would know. the dogs were very disciplined.Emotions among the adults would be strong and they would take there failures out on us.They would sometimes hunt a hare for an entire week,so when the shots sounded and the hare was hit,it was a big scene with the dogs jumping in the air to get a piece of the hare as it was held high to tease them.In the daytime all types of birds were in the valleys feeding on the crops,and in the evening they wold make there way up to the forested mountainsides to seek nightime shelter.That is were we waited for them,underneith some big decidous trees in some clearing.The shooting fest would begin and would be heard throughout the entire village.We were told that it would rain shot on the entire village.All the shooting started at 19:15 and would last oor abot 20 minutes.We would shoot 50 birds amongst two hunters.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

You may not possess rifles (or rifled shotgun barrels) in Greece.

As far as I know, there is no big game hunting available in Greece; when I was in Crete in 2002, I was told they had opened some limited hunting for ibex because they had interbred with goats.

Otherwise, it is small game only.

There is plenty of big game hunting in other Balkan countrie, i.e., Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Turkey.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
I hunted the ladies in Greece only at the Olympics...Just adding some humor!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so do i every summer!you would never believe who i found under a rock once-the HOT one

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote