New
Find
Notify
Tools

Age before beauty
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this is another great shot from this season which I would like to share as it was a first for me.

Three brothers with their ages adding up to 227 years young. What a blast!!!! A little trash talking between them reminded me of a move I once watched.

Leon the middle brother had bought the hunt for his to siblings. None of them had been on a big game hunt together except whitetail deer on their farm. This was to be exciting.

First shooter was of course the eldest brother who at 79 was looking to kill his first bear.
(None of these guys wanted to use bait or spot and stalk as they wanted to have the great experience of hearing the hounds.) We had a good bear treed for Ron, and with a little bit of time we got everyone to the tree to witness his first bear.
A great shot left his bear 75 feet up a huge fire tree!!!
With only a open sighted guide gun handy I borrowed Ron's 30 06 to break two branches that held the bear. The first one was not to bad to shoot off, the second was hidden under the bear.
Well after a lit if discussion we made the decision where the aiming point was to be. As the last of Ron's bullet went on its way down came the bear!!!!!

One of my favorite al time pictures

Glenn was up next, at 72 years young he to was looking for his first bear.
After turning down several bears the next couple days we finally got on to a mean bear which was really working over my dogs. Once it treed Glenn made a great shot killing. Unfortunately Glenn was not able to share the kill with his brothers due to the lack of daylight left heading into the tree.

Here are a couple more shots from the week.

One I will not forget as long as I live.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome stuff Doug.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures! It's great to see other oldsters out there living life and renewing family bonds!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Neat trip and experience for all...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with family produces the greatest memories. Age before beauty, not sure about the beauty in the pics other than the dogs. The pic of the dogs with mountains in the background is beautiful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great experience!!!

Craig

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice running the hounds is a great and one of the most exciting hunts I do.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 THAT is the Best!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote