New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newfounland Moose hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just returned from a hunt in a beautiful Newfounland island. The outfitter was Barb Genge of Tuckamore lodge. Hunting area situated in the extreme north of the island.
A great hunt! I have got my moose with two shots of a blaser K95 cal 7x65 r ( bullet RWS TIG 177 grains) in the morning of the first day. A very good eastern canada moose: 48 inches.

In the other day I saw many moose each day around the lodge and all the other 7 hunters took his animal. See a selection of the trophies:

A great moose hunting area, great accomodation, food and outfitter's service. A place too see and where absolutely to go.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice report, Mario, good to see someone got a moose this year! Your outfit looks like a good place to go.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mario, nice trophie!
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario,

That is a very good Moose for the Island since a 36 incher is about average. Well done.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Mario, that is a super moose! thumb

And it would seem that you found a good outfitter too, which by all accounts is not as easy as one would expect. Here is their website in case anybody is interested:

http://www.tuckamorelodge.com/Hunting.asp

Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. thumb See any caribou?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice moose sounds like a great trip cheers

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys.
Was my second trip in NFL and I think is a wonderful place for hunting not only for big game but also for birds shooting. Unfortunately ther'are too many outfitters and not all run a seriuos operation. In this case is very important look for the references and understand that not many outfitters they have good areas, because in some places the hunting pressure from the locals hunters is very high. The area One where I hunted is at the extreme north of the island and not many locals hunt there. Also the area is open with many open areas and very few pieces of forest.
In the area One they release 350 bull moose hunting license a year a success rate of over 85%, probably the highest in NFL. For this reasons the area One, where Barb Genge is the only outfitter authorized, is considered the primary trophy area.
For the caribou they said is quite early, better end of September/early October.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Very nice Newfie moose!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I travel to Newfoundland on business and love the people. I am mostly in St John, but some to Gander and off to Goose Bay in Lab..Great people, but I need a hunt there.............

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333OKH,
go to Tuckamore lodge, you will have a great experience.

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm JEALOUS. A moose hunt is what I've been dreaming of for the last few years. That is one heck of a trophy, and I'd be proud to have that on my wall. Is there a web site addresses for the outfitters that have been mentioned in this thread?

one of us
posted Hide Post
above, in the post of Bill C. you find the website of Tuckamore Lodge.

mario

One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Hello Mario I am from Newfoundland.
Nice moose,I am going out for moose here this week
What kind of bird shooting did you do while in Newfoundland?
Regards
Dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gordy
I saw lot of ptarmigan and grouses. Unfortunately the hunting season werent open.

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
thanks guys.
Was my second trip in NFL and I think is a wonderful place for hunting not only for big game but also for birds shooting. Unfortunately ther'are too many outfitters and not all run a seriuos operation. In this case is very important look for the references and understand that not many outfitters they have good areas, because in some places the hunting pressure from the locals hunters is very high.

i have hunted the e. canada moose in n.f. twice and still do not have nor did i even see a moose. no truer words have been said above.

an almost 50" e. canada bull is a fine trophy. congrats on your moose. i have only heard good things about the genge operation.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mario;

is there a big diff' in the animal quality between the trophy area and the regular area and the new trophy area?

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Mario again that is a great moose. I love moose hunting. I also love ptarmigan hunting over bird dogs that is why I asked you about the birdhunting.
What rifle did you use on the moose. Is that a double rifle I see in that picture of you with your animal?
regards
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero,

if you look a big moose go to the trophy area. I took my moose in the morning of the first day.Probably if you look around more you can take a bigger one.
Gordy
I used a kipplauf gun not an express: one barrel- one shot.

mario

One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the moose again Mario. I am glad you enjoyed the trip to our province and nice rifle by the way

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks again

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
I told with Barb Genge yesterday and she said she still have some permits for the moose in the trophy area, Maybe she can do some special conditions for this late season.

mario