Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Hunt Success
 Login/Join

posted
Just returned from hunting with Bighorn(Rodney) and took a very nice Buffalo. Rodney and his wife Penny are outstanding guides and very knowledgeable about all the game that is on the ranch. my hunting buddy took a Scimitar Oryx/Gemsbok oryx cross with his 7mm STW and I used a Parker-Hale 300 win. mag. Lodgeing was very nice and the fireplace kept us warm all night. The weather was cold cloudy and rainy during the hunt. I highly recomend this hunt no matter which species you go after. We are already planning another hunt for this coming fall this time for exotics. Bandera is beautiful country and well worth the trip. If you go bring camera and camcorders to film the hunt and wildlife like we did-memories forever. Thanks Rodney and Penny for an excellent hunt and hospitality. Oh, yeah watch your back that other cross oryx has a mad on for you guys. [Big Grin]

Posts: 22 | Location: Carlsbad New Mexico | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did that sucker chase ya'll, too? Thought he was gonna in there with us!

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rodney had to pull his 44 mag and fire a warning shot. That "sucker" was coming hard with blood in his eye. Thought one of them yaks was going to attack that first morning as we were walking back to the "mule" after I shot my buff. Wild place. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 22 | Location: Carlsbad New Mexico | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great place! When we got up on Feb 8 there was about an inch of snow on everything. It really made the hunt a memorable one!

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
i'm going the first weekend of april,got to wait on my 475 gnr encore barrel from gary reeder,going to try some 460-500gr cast bullets ,domt kmow how fast yet got to work up loads hopefully 1400-1550 fps

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Neal
Hope you will post that buffalo hunt success story to the NM Hunters web site also.

One of the folks at work just ate the first of their South Dakota buffalo ( he said -4f and 25 mph winds was a bit severe to a Tennessee boy [Eek!] ).
He also said buffalo tenderloin is A-OK. [Smile]

LouisB

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TCLouis, I will try to post on the NM forum tonight. I'm still floating on cloud nine. [Wink]

<Bighorn Hunting 1>
posted
Super cold down here in Texas. We had a ice storm Monday and Tuesday. Penny and I were on the east side of Austin Monday night and they closed the road down. We left Austin Tuesday morning and what should be a one and a half hour drive home took five and a half hours. We still have plenty of buffalo with twelve new cows and two bulls due in tonight. We are still trapping more but they are getting smarter. We will see tomorrow if the New Mexico hunters that are on there way here can keep up the shooting ability of the past hunters from NM. Penny and I have enjoyed everyone that have came out and are looking forward to hunting with you again. Rodney & Penny