posted
http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/2561071631

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was a good post then, and it is still a good post. and a good hunt. Some of the responses were less than stellar. If I can't make Africa next spring, I intend to take a serious look at one of these scimitar horned monsters.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm going down to Texas the week of Thanksgiving and getting mine before it's too late!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not to belabor the point, but nobody in Africa is offering them anymore.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
not to belabor the point, but nobody in Africa is offering them anymore.

Rich

While maybe not on native range (but neither is TX), but there are ALOT of them on various places in the Eastern Cape of RSA..in Africa. All for sale to the visiting hunter if he/she is so inclined to want one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you see any difference in the hunt experience between a game ranch in RSA and one in the Lone Star State?

Since the hunt photos were first shown I have had a terminal desire to hunt one.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep..price.

They seem to think very highly of them in RSA and want top dollar.. They are now dirt cheap in TX now with the pending ban. Lots of owners looking to liquidate.

I've shot a couple of them back home in TX.. EASY "hunt", but good eating and they do look nice on the wall. Been thinking about hunting 1 more before they get nixed.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the ban legislation is going to get cranked back up too after the elections. Better get one while you can, because from the sounds of things, it may not take much time to get them on the 'list', if they do get banned.

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Yep..price.

They seem to think very highly of them in RSA and want top dollar.. They are now dirt cheap in TX now with the pending ban. Lots of owners looking to liquidate.

I've shot a couple of them back home in TX.. EASY "hunt", but good eating and they do look nice on the wall. Been thinking about hunting 1 more before they get nixed.

What does a hunt in texas with a good operator cost?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Yep..price.

What does a hunt in texas with a good operator cost?

They can cost anywhere from $1,500-$4,500.....mine was $2,000. I would say the average is around $2,500-$3,000.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is the ban thing all about?

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich

I'm sure ES can give you the broad strokes. You might do a search though, I seem to remember a thread a while back (6 mos plus) that talked about the ban rather extensively.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:

The scimitar oryx, dama gazelle, and addax are all CITES Appendix-1 animals. Being Appendix-1, they should technically not be hunted (or at least not without extensive/expensive permits), however, since the animals in Texas are non-native and hunting them doesn't take away from the wild population, they are exempt and can be legally hunted (no paperwork needed beyond a hunting license). Eating a lamb-chop isn't going to harm the bighorn sheep population. Same idea with the oryx, addax, a dama gazelle; they're livestock basically.

This ban came to fruition when anti-hunters started complaining that these CITES-1 animals are being hunted when they should be preserved in Texas since they're critically endangered in Africa. Somehow the anti-hunter logic seems to believe not shooting them in Texas will make them increase in number in ... uh ... well, increase somewhere.

Now, the reason these animals are doing so well is that they adapted well to the Texas habitat AND because they have an economic value (trophy fees). The majority of game ranchers pretty much said they'll fire-sale their animals before the ban starts if they can't make any money off of them.

I'm not really sure where the ban is currently, but there a some excellent prices on scimitar oryx, dama gazelle, and addax if you want to shoot one. Rancher I hunted with wanted them off his property while he could still make some money off of them.

Typical anti-hunters using their emotions (not logic) to ruin it for us.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich

Scimitar Horned Oryx, Addax, and Dama Gazelle are being placed in a category of CITES that will require an extensive amount of red tape and permits to hunt them. It is a bullshit lawsuit pushed forth by the "Friends of Animals". Many ranches with small populations are currently liquidating so they won't have to deal with them later. The ruling has already been made, and once the law goes into effect, predictions are that prices for those 3 animals might double or even triple, due to the major inconvenience they pose to landowners. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Scimitar Horned Oryx going for $6,500 in a few years.

It is a major step backwards in the conservation of these animals. I would hazard a guess that 25-50% of all the Oryx in Texas were shot within the last year (or will be shot before the law takes affect) due to this ridiculous court ruling. I'm not going to lie, that is a major reason for me shooting one when I did. I've always wanted one since I first saw them as a kid, but I was worried I might never get one if I waited any longer. There has been a huge demand in Oryx since the ruling was made.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
haha.....damn looks like Sevens beat me to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a big bull on my buddy's ranch right now with my name on it.. Christmas time, headed back home to TX with muzzleloader in tow.

Wish he had a herd of Dama on there. They're nice looking.

Get 'em before the gettin's gone.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I would give my left nut for a Dama.....but I just can't swing $5k+ right now unfortunately

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I would give my left nut for a Dama.....but I just can't swing $5k+ right now unfortunately

Thank God I will never understand this mindset.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:

Thank God I will never understand this mindset.

What is that supposed to mean?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It just means that I am happy with the hunting style with which I was raised.

Fair Chase

It is foreign to me to hunt farm-raised animals exotic or otherwise, in a fenced environment where they are unable to escape or roam naturally.

It is also bizarre to me that someone would gladly part with a testicle and pay $5000.00 for the opportunity to do so.

But maybe I'm weird....

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well it's just a figure of speech.....but I do appreciate your input. I understand that not everyone agrees with exotic/high fenced hunting. I love hunting free-range, native animals and I also love hunting exotics (behind a high fence or free-range).....I just love hunting in general.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem.

To me that kind of "hunting" and the "trophy" that may be the result is like a guy who goes to a whore house, pays for it, and when he's done feels like he's "The Man". Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
No problem.

To me that kind of "hunting" and the "trophy" that may be the result is like a guy who goes to a whore house, pays for it, and when he's done feels like he's "The Man". Big Grin

You are welcome to your opinion.....

Thankfully, I'm not trying to seek the approval of anyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rca,

I think you just won the "Most Chickenshit Post/Response of The Year" Award.

Basic human decency says we do not talk about other people's families, or their religion, or their personal choices here.

ES, I am sorry I can't apologize for anyone else here, but you deserve one.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:

To me that kind of "hunting" and the "trophy" that may be the result is like a guy who goes to a whore house, pays for it, and when he's done feels like he's "The Man".

I've never been to a whore house, so I don't know that feeling, but I do know that you have to hunt animals where they exist if you want to kill one.

Scimitar horned oryx and Addax and beautiful and unusual animals, but to my knowledge, you can't hunt them in their native land.

Like many other hunters, I have 4 hunting rifles that off a solid rest will easily group all shots in a saucer at 200 yds and on a 16" steel gong at 1/4 mile. With modern long range equipment, some shooters can consistently hit that 16" gong at 1000 yds. Not many animals are afraid of a hunter 1/4 mile away let alone someone 1/2 mile away. So if a hunter is a good shot, it doesn't make any difference if an animal is in a 300 acre high fenced enclosure or in a Wilderness area in a western state.

I grew up and started hunting in Colorado, and have lived and hunted in Montana for the past 35 yrs. Montana hunting regulations are so "fair chase" that they don't even allow trail cameras or illuminated arrow knocks let alone many of the other game "attractants" that are legal in other states.

I've shot 14 species and well over 100 free range North American big game animals from Colorado to the Canadian Arctic. This includes 3 Bighorn rams and a Mountain Goat from Montana Wilderness areas on DIY, solo hunts, so I know what free range, fair chase hunts are.

But if I wanted to hunt a Scimitar horned oryx, the only place that I could do that is on a high fence game ranch in Texas.

So I did.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
rca,

Thanks poopspewer! Coming from an expert on chickenshit posting like you, that's quite a compliment!

Basic human decency says we do not talk about personal choices here.

What a complete hypocritical crock of poop! Voicing differing opinions on all subjects concerning choices or practices posted are the basis of debate on these forums. Strange coming from someone who beat up on a guy who posted a video of African game being shot over a feeding trough! Same crap here.

Rich
You better straighten out your Halo, it's a tad crooked.

DRSS
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC,

I'm a fair chase type of hunter - to an extent. I've hunted several sheep, mountain goats, Alaska, Canada, Central and South Africa as well as all over the US.

But, I'm not going to take a week off of work, pay $3k for a plane ticket, $2k for an African outfitter and another $1k to ship it to the US just for the sake of saying it was 'fair chase'.

I just don't see how hunting a ranch in Texas is any more 'fair chase' than hunting a 'ranch' in S. Africa. Especially when it's a fourth of the cost and zero hassle factor.

Now, if I had your money and time...

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm hunting a ranch next week for one of these little jewels. After my elk hunt last week, I could use something "easy". I'm still sore!!!

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 3 or 4 bulls on the ranch I hunt if anyone is interested in one. One bull looks to be around the 38" range. PM me if interested.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
rca,

Thanks poopspewer! Coming from an expert on chickenshit posting like you, that's quite a compliment!

Basic human decency says we do not talk about personal choices here.

What a complete hypocritical crock of poop! Voicing differing opinions on all subjects concerning choices or practices posted are the basis of debate on these forums. Strange coming from someone who beat up on a guy who posted a video of African game being shot over a feeding trough! Same crap here.

Rich
You better straighten out your Halo, it's a tad crooked.

DRSS

Careful, Rich will cut your guts out and feed them to your children while telling them how you can't spell. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you see any difference in the hunt experience between a game ranch in RSA and one in the Lone Star State?

Since the hunt photos were first shown I have had a terminal desire to hunt one.

Rich

Yes, there is a big difference. Usually the ranches in RSA are very large and not high fenced to the extent ranches in Texas are. I have hunted both and find the Texas variety a bit of shooting in a zoo. In RSA, the animals are not conditioned by timed feeders nor are they shot from box blinds.
My last trip to a Texas deer hunt was "free range" meaning the deer were free to range in the 1000 ac pasture surrounded on three sides by an 8' fence. The hunt was not a hunt but a shoot. Never again.

I have not been to Eland Slayers hunt location but based on the pictures - it appears the fences are close and the animals somewhat tame.

Go ahead and shoot a scimitar, they are stunning animals but realize that they are farmed solely for the horns and meat and to be shot. They are not wild and more like livestock to me.

The difference is significant.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMaster:
quote:

Rich

Yes, there is a big difference. Usually the ranches in RSA are very large and not high fenced to the extent ranches in Texas are. I have hunted both and find the Texas variety a bit of shooting in a zoo. In RSA, the animals are not conditioned by timed feeders nor are they shot from box blinds.
My last trip to a Texas deer hunt was "free range" meaning the deer were free to range in the 1000 ac pasture surrounded on three sides by an 8' fence. The hunt was not a hunt but a shoot. Never again.

I have not been to Eland Slayers hunt location but based on the pictures - it appears the fences are close and the animals somewhat tame.

Go ahead and shoot a scimitar, they are stunning animals but realize that they are farmed solely for the horns and meat and to be shot. They are not wild and more like livestock to me.

The difference is significant.

Good post BulldogMaster!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are agreed.

But, what constitutes the "unfair advantage"? I think baiting does, but where does that leave the large game ranches in Africa? Late July the water holes are mostly dried up, and the hunting consists of sitting in a blind by a stock tank waiting for game to appear. If there are only four permanent water holes, the odds are pretty good that game will come to one.

Fair Chase is a sometimes nebulous situation.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fair Chase is a sometimes nebulous situation.

for some, maybe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every game ranch we saw from the road, all the way from Pretoria to Steenbokpan; had an exterior eight foot high fence. They do not raise game animals to watch them jump over a short fence onto someone else's property.

Rich

RCA: it could happen...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old saying: If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. Since the only two negative posts are by kids who have never tried this type of hunt, we just take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Like someone who calls himself 505 Gibbs but doesn't own one... I have offered to bring mine to SCI so he can at least tell people he has shot one. We will see if he shows.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
They do not raise game animals to watch them jump over a short fence onto someone else's property.

kind of like cattle or sheep? you been blastin' farmer Brown's livestock again old man? Hell Yes, that's huntin'!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
They do not raise game animals to watch them jump over a short fence onto someone else's property.

kind of like cattle or sheep? you been blastin' farmer Brown's livestock again old man? Hell Yes, that's huntin'!!!

And You would know that how?? From your extensive profile bio and your opinions should we take you as some sort of expert?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
listen guys, I'm not trying to step on toes here. I'm new to this whole hunting thing, but shooting animals in a pen sounds pretty gay to me. Rich, I know your a cold blooded mofo, but is there really any point in shooting some poor goat when you could take him on mano y mano w/ your K-Bar, just wonderin'?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is an old saying: If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. Since the only two negative posts are by kids who have never tried this type of hunt, we just take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Like someone who calls himself 505 Gibbs but doesn't own one... I have offered to bring mine to SCI so he can at least tell people he has shot one. We will see if he shows.

regards,

Rich
you might want to rethink that last statement Rich. i watched and filmed Brad damn near turn a hippo a complete flip when he brained it from behind with his 505. makes for an interesting video. also watched at the camp range when he blew a hole clean through a 12 inch mopani. he seemed to have no problem handling the rifle. and he definitely isn't "new to this whole hunting thing"!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006