New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Outfitter Recommendation Wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a Texas Whitetail hunt in 2006. Can anyone recommend an outfitter? I'm looking for a 150 class or better buck, prefer to pay one fee and not get into trophy fees. I'll gladly pay trophy fees in Africa, but not for a whitetail. Prefer spot and stalk, low or no fence, 3-5 day hunt. Opinions?

Doug

posted Hide Post
Book John Pfluger through Cabela's. I hunted with him for Pronghorn in New Mexico and he is a superb guide and outfitter.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
A lot will depend on what you want to spend. I do not think you will find a no-fence hunt but there are low-fenced ranches, some pretty big. I know of at least a couple of places that do not charge more for bigger deer (unlike some that charge $100/inch over 150).

None of the places I know of can assure you a 150 in a four-day hunt, but they do take them (and better). I would be happy to pass some information along if you like, but you should carefully check out anyone to be sure it is your type of hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles, thanks for the offer, please pass that info along. I always check references, etc... Thanks, Doug

Doug

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
Charles, thanks for the offer, please pass that info along. I always check references, etc... Thanks, Doug

I sent you a PM. I would be happy to go into more detail if you like.

Good luck and I hope you have a great hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
myrifleman

The Stasney Ranch not far from Abilene cannot guarantee you a 150 buck but they shoot bigger that that on a regular basis. It has 28,000 acres and is all low fenced with the exception of a 2800 acre enclosure with various animals.

The Stasney is adjacent to the Nail but a little easier to get onto. There will be a waiting list but it might be worth it. The amount of rutting bucks on a low fenced place has to be seen to be believed.

This is just a suggestion as I have no financial ties to the Stasney but have hunted there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
myrifleman

The Stasney Ranch not far from Abilene cannot guarantee you a 150 buck but they shoot bigger that that on a regular basis. It has 28,000 acres and is all low fenced with the exception of a 2800 acre enclosure with various animals.

The Stasney is adjacent to the Nail but a little easier to get onto. There will be a waiting list but it might be worth it. The amount of rutting bucks on a low fenced place has to be seen to be believed.

This is just a suggestion as I have no financial ties to the Stasney but have hunted there.

Mark

You been peeking at my PMs again? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something else you should know about trophy fees in Texas with reguard to whitetail. To the absolute letter of the law, trophy fees are not legal and are only legal if you have a breeders licence and own specific deer. However, if you own a ranch, even a high fenced one, and are not a breeder you can not charge for the size of the deer. If you are a breeder you can charge by the size for specific deer that you own and have papers on. With exception to licenced owners and specific breeder deer, all whitetail in Texas belong to the people of the State and thusly can not be owned by an individual and can not be charged for by their size. You can sell the right to hunt on your land, charge for the hunt etc. But to the letter of the law trophy whitetail fees are illegal.
The law is widely overlooked and can be considered a technicality but I have heard of some ranches getting into trouble with this.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Something else you should know about trophy fees in Texas with reguard to whitetail. To the absolute letter of the law, trophy fees are not legal and are only legal if you have a breeders licence and own specific deer.

My understanding is that the specific rule/statue prohibits selling the wild animals, not that it prohibits charging hunting fees on a sliding scale based on the size of the trophy. You have probably looked at this more closely than I have and I will admit that I have not studied it deeply. I personally would prefer to hunt somewhere where you pay a set amount and shoot the deer you want. I do not want to have to check my bank balance before deciding to shoot. Can you fill me in on someone who has been prosecuted for charging trophy fees?

Here is an excerpt from the TPWD website:

"The law prohibits the sale of any game animal, game bird, or protected bird or any part thereof EXCEPT that DEER: ANTLERS, HIDES, BONES, SINEW, and OTHER INEDIBLE PARTS may be sold."

Caveat: This post is not meant as and should not be construed as legal advice. Consult your own counsel before setting your trophy fees!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,
I hate to name the ranch because they are pretty well known but their name is an odd number repeated three times who's sum is 21....ahem.
I've also heard rumors of others but havent seen anything in print.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Charles,
I hate to name the ranch because they are pretty well known but their name is an odd number repeated three times who's sum is 21....ahem.
I've also heard rumors of others but havent seen anything in print.

rotflmo animal

Interesting. I don't suppose it made the TPWD Game Warden Field Notes?

I still like places that let you shoot the biggest buck you see for the same price, but maybe that is something wrong with me.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I would also check out Steve Ford's operation out of Albany, Texas. It is all open range and low fence. They will guarantee a shot at 130+. I have hunted hogs up there and the whitetails are big and there are a lot of them. That part of the state is a real sleeper.....and no high fence.

Here is the link:Ford Link

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The law prohibits the sale of any game animal, game bird, or protected bird or any part thereof EXCEPT that DEER: ANTLERS, HIDES, BONES, SINEW, and OTHER INEDIBLE PARTS may be sold."

What is funny about this quote is that the "edible parts" (the only parts not legal for sale) are the one thing the trophy hunter care the least about.

Ryan, where did you hear this?

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Disregarding the fact that in fact, the state, whether Texas or otherwise, does not own the game but convenience allows them to maintain the legal fiction that they do.......the fact is that when a deer is shot and reduced to possession it is the property of the shooter, and the ranch owner can charge him for shooting it on any basis he desires. I doubt very seriously that the above references are factual.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how open to the public it is, but Dolph Brisco's ranch, approximately 300,000 acres in the Golden Triangle charges approximately $6000 for 3 days hunt, all amenities included, with a $2500 kill fee. I believe, but am quoting second hand sources, that you can shoot a trophy, a management buck (can be a huge 8 pointer if you're lucky) and a doe for these numbers. You would almost certainly have a chance at a 150 class deer or larger, possibly much larger. Obviously this isn't cheap, but in Texas, mostly you pay for quality whitetail hunting.

The King Ranch has great hunting but is more expensive than the above, I believe.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I don't know how open to the public it is, but Dolph Brisco's ranch, approximately 300,000 acres in the Golden Triangle charges approximately $6000 for 3 days hunt, all amenities included, with a $2500 kill fee. I believe, but am quoting second hand sources, that you can shoot a trophy, a management buck (can be a huge 8 pointer if you're lucky) and a doe for these numbers. You would almost certainly have a chance at a 150 class deer or larger, possibly much larger. Obviously this isn't cheap, but in Texas, mostly you pay for quality whitetail hunting.

The King Ranch has great hunting but is more expensive than the above, I believe.

The Briscoe's have about 640,000 acres in all. More than one person offer hunts on some of their pastures. I know someone who offers hunts there -- four days is up to $7000 now (depending on which exact ranch -- Cochina, Catarina, Tordillo, etc.) which includes food, lodging and your deer. An eight or cull buck are available for more money. The pricing does not include a tip for the guide or cook.

The King has different pricing based on size, and they have some big management bucks taken. More details at their website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm spending that kind of money to hunt a trophy whitetail in South Texas, those are two of the places that I start with.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Disregarding the fact that in fact, the state, whether Texas or otherwise, does not own the game but convenience allows them to maintain the legal fiction that they do.......the fact is that when a deer is shot and reduced to possession it is the property of the shooter, and the ranch owner can charge him for shooting it on any basis he desires. I doubt very seriously that the above references are factual.

No. Deer in the state of Texas are not property of the state. They are property of the PEOPLE of the state. There is a legal difference. If they were property of the state, the state would be liable for all the cars that get demolished in deer/car collisions and grandma's flowers that get eaten by what would be state property.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan:

No where, in the many Supreme Court cases, nor in Texas cases that I have read regarding this issue does anyone claim that deer are the property of the people of the state as opposed to the State itself. Please cite your source, if you can.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask any game warden who they belong to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well that settles it, a game warden is above the Supreme Court. Geeesh.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PW/content...001.00.000001.00.htm

Texas Parks and Wildlife Code:
Title 1
Chapter 1
Subchapter B.
Section 1.001
States that:
§ 1.011. PROPERTY OF THE STATE. (a) All wild animals,
fur-bearing animals, wild birds, and wild fowl inside the borders
of this state are the property of the people of this state.
(b) All fish and other aquatic animal life contained in the
freshwater rivers, creeks, and streams and in lakes or sloughs
subject to overflow from rivers or other streams within the borders

That would be PEOPLE of the state. I called Parks and Wildlife HQ in Austin and talked to the Law Enforcement division (800-792-1112) that gave me the code, titles etc. Further he articulated that wildlife, including deer, are property of the people of the state and that Parks and Wildlife are the stewards there of and that deer are not property of the state.

I work for the state and I can tell you, all state property has to be inventoried each year and I've yet to see a deer with a barcode attached to them with a state employee chasing them through the woods with a scanner.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread, but I've been gone a lot lately. Check out The Big Woods; it's in the Trinity River Bottom and one of my best friends helps manage the place. I've never hunted there, but I have hope for the future. Big Grin

There are no guarantees, but the chances are good and I understand the facilities are first rate.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I'm spending that kind of money to hunt a trophy whitetail in South Texas, those are two of the places that I start with.

But why?

I'm going to Sask. and saving money....

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westman:
quote:

But why?

I'm going to Sask. and saving money....

Westman, everything I've read about the Canadian Prairie Province Whitetail hunting points to a 50% or less success rate on "trophy" dear. I would wager that the rate is much higher on the two ranches listed. After you pay your $3000 (plus airfare) TWICE, it might not look like such a good deal.

Not a rant on you, just an honest answer to your question "But why?"

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Texas Parks and Wildlife Code:
Title 1
Chapter 1
Subchapter B.
Section 1.001
States that:
§ 1.011. PROPERTY OF THE STATE. (a) All wild animals,
fur-bearing animals, wild birds, and wild fowl inside the borders

So, "people of this state" can be interpreted as:
a) All people in common, meaning that the 22 year old urbanite debutant has equal ownership to the deer on a piece of land as the family that pioneered, settled, and worked that land for 4 generations, or

b) The people whom own the land on which the deer are located own the deer.

Has this ever been taken before a court, because the wording of the statute does not indicate one way or another.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking at Texas because I'd like to hunt the week of Christmas. Again, I will not pay a trophy fee unless I'm in Africa. I'll hunt else where before I spend on a whitetail hunt what a 10 day plains game hunt would cost.

Doug