New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any hunting in China/Japan/Korea?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never heard of any hunting in those countries. I would really like to know if they have any hunting there at all and if so get some reports/pictures of it. Thanks

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe - poorly remembered artilces in shooting magazines and hunting outfitters like "Diana", that sheep and goat hunting is possible in the remoter regions of China. But it is very expensive.

I do not think there is much hunting in Japan because it is a densely populated country and has very restrictive gun ownership laws. Additionally, due to the large population and connurbations, I do no think there is much wild life left outside of national parks.

As for Korea, a history of recent wars, famine etc has left the countryside denuded of large, free roaming animals. Again, South Korea is a built up industrial country, so I doubt there would be much outside of national parks. Then there is the security situation - US and South Korean army's reaction to random gunfire.

I am guessing, large parts of the border zones, and adjacent country, is out of bounds, never mind thinking about hunting.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Korea no
Japan not for foreigners, and not much for residents.
China, there is lots of hunting in China.

The goverment is the outfitter, blue sheep, takin, wild boar, white lipped deer, sika, muntjac, elk, moose, ibex, several species of argali.

$5900 blue sheep hunts are as cheap as things get.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Back in '94 when I was in Japan. The only hunting I heard anything about was waterfowl. And for locals only as I recall. With seasonal limits of 150 ducks and 150 geese per hunter.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been looking into this lately. It seems that in China there are a number of "hunting grounds". They differ in size, those I have seen are a few thousand hectares. Game there seems to be quite diverse from turkeys at $ 8.00 a piece to Chinese deer at $1200. If anyone has an experience concerning this their income would be appreciated.

Posts: 29 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread for recent discussion about Japan.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../843100742#843100742

Korea, I have no idea.

China, look at this thread:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../804100783#804100783

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Takin is on the high side and blue sheep on the low, but I think any hunt in China is gonna be expensive. I would like to get there one day to hunt white lipped deer.

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Max,
While in Korea (actually on an island beloning to Korea), I hunted pheasant. The island is called Cheju Do (Do meaning island). The locals had some great dogs and great hunting. Bag limit was something like 15 or so per day.
the other Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 AI:
Check out this thread for recent discussion about Japan.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../843100742#843100742

Korea, I have no idea.

China, look at this thread:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../804100783#804100783

There was good information about Japan on that other thread. There were a few misconceptions. You don't have to be over 40 or ex-military. My ex-wife got her blue book in her early twenties while we were dating so she could shoot skeet and trap with me on base. There are also more gun owners in Tokyo then you might imagine. I met quite a few target shooters while I was stationed there.

I think one reason people think gun ownership is so restrictive there is due to mistranslation. The Japanese word for gun, "kenjyu," is usually applied only to handguns. They are all but banned. Long guns are normally called "teppo," which simply means iron rod. They also use the English words for shotgun or rifle, but of course they come out more like "shottoganu" or "rifuru."

Japan actually has some very good hunting opportunities. There alot of wild boar throughout the country, particularly on Kyushu. They do a lot of crop damage, chase people around, and every once in a while get hit by trains and shut down service. Asian black bear is available on the three southern main islands and brown bear is available on Hokkaido. The serow, which is a mountain goat/antelope, is considered a national treasure but I believe they are hunted. Then there are of course deer, pheasant, quail, waterfowl, and fox.

Here are a couple of links. One is to a site maintained by the first foreigner to pass the hunting exam in Kyoto prefecture, the others provide good overviews of Japanese gun laws.

http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~jharold/japanharold/hunting/huntingcontents.html

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIB3a.html

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIB3b.html

There used to be an army rec facility on Cheju Do where U.S. military could go and hunt pheasant, unfortunately now closed. What do the locals use for pheasant? My Korean friends always told me that firearm ownership was banned. Small game and bird hunting with high powered air guns has some degree of popularity.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just followed up on my own question about korea. Firearm ownership isn't banned. To purchase a firearm the citizen has to have a hunting license. The owner must immediately report to the police to register it. The firearm must also be kept in police custody. That means the owner provides the police the bolt, and can only get it back when the police permit it. If it doesn't have a bolt, like a break action shotgun the police keep the whole thing.

Air guns don't have as many restrictions, but I have read that they also must be in police custody during the off season. Modifying them is strictly illegal.

It doesn't sound like there is much in the way of hunting opportunity. South Korea hasn't done as well with wildlife conservation as Japan. For instance, while there is is a healthy population of black bear in Japan there are only a handful left in the ROK.
Some large animals that used to populate the peninsula are now found only in the DMZ. Others are doing better, such as wild boar and water deer. Waterfowl, pheasant, hare and and squirrel are also available.

Compounding the problem is that hunting is only permitted in approved provinces. I understand there has been some easing of this particular restriction recently, but to what extent I don't know.

I guess that's why the only hunting in the ROK that I heard about before was small game and birds with airguns. With really limited opportunities for larger game and all the restrictions on firearms, most South Koreans who want to hunt just don't find the additional effort worthwhile. And there are only about 16,000 licensed hunters.

Non-koreans can hunt there if you want to go to a commercial pheasant hunting preserve. There are one or two in several provinces that are open to the public. You don't need a license and they provide dogs, guns, and a guide. The largest is Daeyoo hunting preserve on Cheju Do.

If anybody reads Hangul, there is a website for the Korean Hunting Management Association at http://www.hunting.or.kr/. That's their national association for hunters. I'm told they provide information about how to go about getting a hunting license. They also have a map of the ROK that seems to show where the commercial preserves are throughout the country. I surfed it a little bit, and they do have one page where they show the legal game animals.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote