New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a cebu?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am assuming some kind of wild ox/cattle, but can't find any info on them. I have seen them discussed on a couple of threads. If someone has a picture, could you post it? Thanks.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Bos Indicus Big Grin
Nelore, Gyr, Brahman, etc, etc are different types of Cebu. Your rodeo bulls are also cebu....

Bos Taurus are Hereford, Aberdeen Angus, Holstein, etc Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, Lorenzo, I get it, wild range cattle, with an attitude Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
You know what's really crazy is that domestic Brahman cattle are some of the tamest cattle in the world.

When you crossbreed them like rodeo cattle are, or they get out and wild, then they are dangerous.

They are also the 3nd biggest breed of cattle in the world. The largest is the Chianina, and Romangolia, both Italian and Swiss breeds.

Chianinas are bigger than any of the 3 species of Bison.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Taller only not bigger in the weight and bulk sense.Other breeds are heavier ie Charolais.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

Taller only not bigger in the weight and bulk sense.Other breeds are heavier ie Charolais.

Chianinas reach weights of 4000 lbs. They are the largest of the Bovines.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chianinas reach weights of 4000 lbs. They are the largest of the Bovine

Haha they might in TX mate.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cebu (or zebu) and brahma has pretty hard to tell the difference in.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D99:
You know what's really crazy is that domestic Brahman cattle are some of the tamest cattle in the world.

When you crossbreed them like rodeo cattle are, or they get out and wild, then they are dangerous.[QUOTE]

We used to raise them when I was a kid. They were like big dogs in the pasture and would follow me around wanting to be scratched or brushed, but put those same cattle in a stressful situation and mix in a corral and they would go absolutely nuts. They are, by far, the most aggressive domestic cattle I have ever worked in a pen, and the most gentle in the pasture.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
I am assuming some kind of wild ox/cattle, but can't find any info on them. I have seen them discussed on a couple of threads. If someone has a picture, could you post it? Thanks.

Mad Dog

They are on the Veggie Tales videos for kids. Larry the Cucumber sings a song about one. Still don't know what it is.

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
In our country in the north and the patagonia you canhunt wild cebues they are very agressive in the bush i even killed one with my sw 44magnum ,Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:
Chianinas reach weights of 4000 lbs. They are the largest of the Bovine

Haha they might in TX mate.

Chianina- These cattle originated in Italy for the main purpose of producing meat. They are white with a black switch on the tail. Their skin pigment is uniformly black. They are quite possibly the largest cattle in the world, with many bulls weighing over 4,000 pounds. They are noted for rapid growth and well-marbled, fine-textured meat.

http://ak.essortment.com/beefcattlebree_riwp.htm

Well, at least in Texas we know what the hell we're talking about when we make a statement, mate. Here's some more:

Charolais cattle are large with mature bulls weighing from 2,000 to well over 2,500 pounds and cows weigh from 1,250 to over 2,000 pounds.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Hell they bite BIG in TX thesedays eh! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat is correct.....Veggie Tales explains the whole thing. The song is quite infectious.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"Walkers Mammals of the World" fourth edition says this about the zebu (Bos taurus):

" ... the zebus, the sacred cattle of India are forms of Bos taurus. Of the 30 or more breeds, each of which originated in a province of India, 4 main strains have been introduced to the United States. Zebus have a characteristic hump over the shoulder, drooping ears, and a large dewlap. ... They interbreed readily with other kinds of cattle .... a lesser breed known as Santa Gertrudis, recognized in 1940, was developed on the King Ranch in Texas by crossing zebu bulls with stock that originated fromTexas longhorns, herefords, and shorthorns."

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Gryphon remember he is talking lbs, not kilograms. Wink

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I did already John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tex, I noticed you had to go to a Okie site to get your info. Big Grin

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
If someone is intersting in killing wild cows in culling opeartions mail me we are killing a lot of feral animals.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

When you crossbreed them like rodeo cattle are, or they get out and wild, then they are dangerous.

They are also the 3nd biggest breed of cattle in the world. The largest is the Chianina, and Romangolia, both Italian and Swiss breeds.

Are the Limousine cattle tied in with the Chianina and Romangolia? We have them in Canada, they are friggin' huge as well! But I'm unsure of the weight.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote