Find
Notify
Tools

TX Buck down...end to a good season...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
Just got back from Uvalde, TX last night. I had a good hunt over the past few days. The first afternoon, I hunted over a huge oat field. It was about 1200 yards long and 200 wide. I was told there was a good high tined 10 pointer with short brows that they had been trying to kill for a month that showed up on this field randomly. They had named him the "Perkins Buck" as a hunter last-named Perkins had seen him 2-3 times and couldn't get a shot, and then 3 other guys had had the same bad luck.

About 4:30 deer began filtering into the field, but they were all about 900 yards away. Then at 4:55, one deer stepped out on my end of the field, and it was the "Perkins buck". He was about 170 yards, I watched him for a few minutes, then he got broadside, and I dropped him in his tracks. My hunt lasted about 35 minutes. This buck was 7.5 years old...

We had a bunch of industry folks in camp, and they were all hunting management and cull bucks. Pictured below are 2 mgt deer. Greg Kosteck of WInchester with a nice main frame 8.

John Burgman from Outdoor Life with a good mgt 10 point and his first deer...

This was the end to my best deer season ...

Happy New Year...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great buck, Tim!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really a nice deer! Congrats.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Way to go Tim!
Nice Buck

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice buck... White Mines area? And seriously, an Outdoor Life guy with his "first" whitetail?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Not sure the area. We were on the Canyon Ranch 10-15 miles west of Uvalde. Yep, John's first buck. He was just hired to OL a little while back and had never been deer hunting...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck. Heck I like the management deer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim: Congratulations on a nice deer. We just returned from the lease in Uvalde on the 1st also, and took a couple 6.5 yr old bucks. Saw some gorgeous 10's and one 12 but all too young, so whacked a brace of 9 pointers that had the same Dad way back when. Gotta love that Nueces country.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Dandy deer, Tim!!

Other than the little crab claws on the main beams of the2nd buck I killed north of there, that one could be his brother.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote