New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Dall Sheep Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hunted with Deltana Outfitters from Delta Junction and was in Unit 26B (Brooks Range). The dates were August 15th to the 23rd. I was after sheep, caribou and wolves.
I flew into the area on the 15th and the guide (Billy) & I hiked to our spike camp. Awake at 3;30 AM the 16th, a quick breakfast, organize and up we go to get above the sheep we saw the night before. Topped out at 6:00 AM and a bit of a rest to catch my breath, then started sneaking over the side. We see 3 rams within 150 yards, of which one is legal. They see us and start to move away. With clouds coming in I decide that this is my opportunity. At 200 yards broadside, I put my first shot a too far back of the shoulder and the ram stops, an immediate follow up shot through the heart drops him on his face. He started to slide on the rocks, but luckily he stopped after a few feet. The biggest nightmare I could imagine was my sheep rolling all the way to the bottom. After pictures the work begins. Going downhill with a load the guide went right down, while I couldn't get comfortable with the rocks under my boots sliding with every step. To say I was slow, cautious and puckered up is an understatement. Anyway, no problems and we get back to spike camp and relax.
2 days later we are in main camp eating sheep tenderloins with cold beer, absolute heaven. During this time we have been watching caribou, not many in the area but a few new ones wandering through every day. While eating the sheep, we see a pretty good bull within 200 yards of camp trotting by. Since we didn't want to waste a meal, we decide to get him in the morning.
Next day we hike 3 miles to the area we last saw his group. We find his group but he is not with them. Then we see a large bull that was with him browsing near a creek. After belly crawling forward, we spot the bull bedded near the creek. We setup at 240 yards and yell to get the bull up. No dice, apparently he is comfortable and doesn't want to move. The guide waves his arms and yells, no luck. He then trows a rock in his direction and the bull stands up, a shot throught he heart puts him down. This is my first caribou and the guts swell up really quick while we are taking him apart. We did spend some time for pictures so maybe that delay allowed things to build some pressure.
The next days were spent scouting drainages in the area for my guides next client. Great scenery and wildlife. Saw 3 grizzlies at rages from 50 feet to 300 yards. Too bad bear season opened September 1st. I had wolf tags but did not have an opportunity to shoot one.
I had a great trip. The weather during this time was 80-85 F during the day, full sun and lows in the 50's. We had a trace of rain with thunder & lightning the night of the 17th. The temperature fell to the 30's on the 23rd & 24th as the fog rolled in. I have hunted with Deltana Outfitters before and they are great group of people. I have 3 more hunts set with them over the next 2 years including another sheep hunt. This is addicting!
Equipment - Lazzeroni L2000 SA mountain rifle in 8.59 Galaxy (.338), S&B 3-12x40 scope, 200 grain North Fork's at 3050 fps. Zeiss 10x40C binos, the guide had a Leica 62 mm spotting scope which worked very well and Leica 1200 LRF.
Leki hiking poles were a great asset for stability, Wiggy's light waders for creeks, Cabela's microtex shirt & pants were great - fast to dry and comfortable, Day One fleece pant, shirt, and jacket when it got cool-good stuff, polyester t-shirts. Wiggy's superlight bag - was too warm for the weather but better than being cold. Cabela's Meindl Alaska Hunter boots worked well but could be a bit stiffer, the only drawback is they do not have half sizes above size 12 so I had some extra room in a pair of 13's. I did not get any blisters though and attribute that to smartwool expedition socks with coolmax liners while changing them twice a day. All told around 60-70 miles were hiked on terrain that consisted of rocky river drainages, firm as well as spongy tundra to sharp rock and broken shale. Next time I go play on the rocks I will use a pair of LaSportiva Lhotse boots that the people at Alaska Mountaineering & Hiking fitted me for in Anchorage, great people.
I would appreciate it if someone could post a couple of pictures for me. Eventually I will get my brother to put a slideshow together on his website and will add the link here.
Thanks,
DMC

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since no one offered to post pictures, for the time being they can be viewed on Lazzaroni's website http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_cust_results.htm

I am the guy in the green t-shirt at the top of the page, but they are listed as having been shot with a 7.82 Patriot. I actually used a 8.59 Galaxy (.338).

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
DaveC,
Sounds like a great hunt with great results. You also wrote a very comprehensive report. What are the Wiggy lightweight waders and where did you find them?

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote