Tools

Texas Bison Hunt Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Hunt Date: Feb. 10, 2007

Hunt Location: WRS Ranch in Kerrville, TX

Rifle: Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker chambered in .300 WSM using 180 gr. Barnes MRX ammo

Optics: Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56mm scope and Steiner Marine 7x50 binos

Well, I went on my buffalo hunt this weekend. I saw the ad in the Houston Chronicle a few weeks ago and we decided we could use the meat. I hunted a middle-aged bull for $1,000 and he ended up weighing around 1,200 lbs. (plenty of meat Wink). He was a 5 year old bull, but he had EXTEMELY large horns for being so young (17 1/4 inches)! Surprisingly, the buffalo were pretty skittish. I figured it might be a 30 minute "hunt", but it ended up taking about 2 hours. They just weren't cooperating. Also, the reason the hunt was priced so cheap is because they are desperately trying to reduce the herd due to the recent drought and bad freezes which have killed all the grass (as you can see in the pictures, the range conditions were less that ideal for buffalo Eeker). Anyhow, I ended up connecting on my first buffalo ever at about 100 yards and we got it all on video! My first shot was a little high (still double lung). My second shot shattered his elbow and also went through both lungs. The other bull in the herd started beating him up and we had to chase him off. My bull was nearly dead, but I put in one last shot at an angle (he was lying kind of on his side) through his lungs and scapula for insurance. The 180 gr. Barnes MRX performed FLAWLESSLY! All three shots exited and no bullets were recovered. The only thing we recovered was a petal from the exit wound of my first shot. When you watch the video, you can clearly see the power of the bullet. He was down in less than 30 seconds. Here are a few pics:

Here is me with my dad

Here is me with my guide James (sophomore at Schreiner University)

Here is just me with the bull

And here is a picture of the biggest damn Watusi I have EVER seen!!! HOLY CRAP!!! (it was still pretty early and the lighting wasn't very good)

Hope y'all enjoy the pictures. Let me know what you think.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and an excellent hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WyoHunter
posted Hide Post
Nice Bull! Enjoy the meat and congrats on your hunt!

Be proud of each and every game animal you kill - big, small or no antlers!
NRA LIFE Member

Posts: 65 | Location: Central Wyoming, USA | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

How much for that Watusi ? Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Actually, that Watusi was a pet. He's not for sale. That's probably the first Watusi I've ever seen that I thought would look good in a trophy room. Big Grin

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice bison!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, and a nice hunt... And if you have never eaten bison, you are in for a treat! A friend gave me several packages, and it is absolutely wonderful. Lean, and full of flavor. Enjoy!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Did the Guide indicate why the other Bull was beating on your Bull after the shot?

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Everyone I have talked to that has taken a buffalo out of a herd, where there was another sizeable bull, said that the same thing happened. I think it's just nature's way. I guess when one gets sick or injured in the wild, they may try to speed up his death for some reason. I worked on a ranch in the summer of 2005 that had quite a few buffalo. A hunter came out to shoot a young bull and when he did, the herd bull locked horns with the young bull and flipped him over his back and then began to beat him up. I didn't see this first hand, but I heard it from someone who did. When I shot my bull, the other bull in the herd actually mounted him, I guess in an attempt to push him down to the ground. I have all this on video. I need to figure out how to put a video clip on my computer so I can post it here.

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
ES,

At the risk of sounding as jaded as I feel, this type of behavior isn't particularly unique amongst mammals.

You'll witness this exact response every day throughout corporate America...my thirty years in the oilfield has given me ample opportunity to see this behavior repeated ad infinitum.

Your bison's antagonist is just a bit more overt, that's all!

Good luck from one old Hill Country hand to another...my bride (the She-Wolf) is a Kerrville gal by birth!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eland slayer what is the ranch web site add kindly tell if they accept overseas hunters ,regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Markhor,

The WRS Ranch doesn't have a website. I found the hunt through an ad in our local newspaper. I'm sure he would gladly accept overseas hunters. However, I would NOT recommend hunting on this ranch. The reason we went was for the Buffalo meat. After being on the property, I will probably never hunt there again. The habitat is very boring, with every bit of the underbrush cleared out from under the oak motts. Therefore, animals really have no where to hide and many of the animals were quite tame (except for the Buffalo, Axis, and Red Sheep). I have been to quite a few exotic ranches in Texas and this was one of the more poorly managed ones. As you can see from my pictures, there really wasn't anything for the animals to eat and most were in bad condition. Also, while hunting, we found a dead Scimitar Horned Oryx and a Pure Blooded Mouflon Ram with 30"+ horns. If you are interested in coming to the states for some exotic hunting, I know lots of other places that will provide you with an honest hunt and not just a "shoot". Where do you live? If you tell me what you are interested in and what your price range is, I'll gladly try and help you find the right place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eland im at pakistan i have hunted pratically all the species in pakistan except 3 different markhors,i hunted in africa too,the only place i never hunted in usa i love to come and hunt some great animals like buffalow elk and moose,pron horn whitetail,and bears,but currently im intersted in buffalow,i shall b coming to states in july,thank u for being kind,my budget is around $2000 for buffalow,u think i can manage in it,kind regards.

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Markhor,

It will be difficult to find a place that offers Trophy Bull Buffalo for $2,000. Most places that have large bulls charge a daily fee between $100-$200 per day plus a trophy fee of $2,500-$3,500 for a large bull. There is one place I know of called the Mayfield Ranch that has good priced Buffalo. Here is their website: Mayfield Ranch. I have never been to this ranch so I can't say whether their operation is good or not, but it appears to be good. I hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
eland slayer,

The bison are trying to get him up. This happens in all the "buffalo" including cape. Older bulls, which your's was not, are also beaten upon once it is discovered they are dead as pay back, this isn't typically restricted to another bull attacking the fallen but many individuals of the herd.

Typically the entire herd will surround the fallen while a few will nudge, jump on, and even gore the fallen in order to get them on their feet.

Your bull has nice horns for a 3 to 4 year old, which is what he very much appears to be. The human equivalent would be a 12 to 13 year old boy, far from man standing.

Like I said nice horns, but small skull. Congrats and I hope you enjoyed yourself!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Eland Slayer. Really good pictures and story, also that was a good report on your impressions of this ranch.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen similar activity when hunting turkey. I remember one time there were several strutting and after I shot the biggest one the other two actually jumped on him, tried to peck him and one even tried to "mount" him.....they didn't even run off when I stood up and I acutally had to chase them away.....but then again turkey's can be screwy.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur with DB Bill. I have seen that too. However, I think it is a domninance thing with turkeys. I've seen the Alpha Male in a turkey flock get shot and the younger jakes jump on him and start spuring him. As you said though, turkeys are screwy. As long as they don't actually see you, you can see them do some funny stuff.
I am told, though I have never seen it in real life, that wolves will do something similar when the alpaha is hurt or injured.
Eland Slayer,
Good Bull. It sounds like you made a good choice on your rifle and ammo. Congrats.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Good report.. Lookin` forward to video! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Hunt Date: Feb. 10, 2007

Hunt Location: WRS Ranch in Kerrville, TX

Rifle: Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker chambered in .300 WSM using 180 gr. Barnes MRX ammo

Optics: Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56mm scope and Steiner Marine 7x50 binos

Well, I went on my buffalo hunt this weekend. I saw the ad in the Houston Chronicle a few weeks ago and we decided we could use the meat. I hunted a middle-aged bull for $1,000 and he ended up weighing around 1,200 lbs. (plenty of meat Wink). He was a 5 year old bull, but he had EXTEMELY large horns for being so young (17 1/4 inches)! Surprisingly, the buffalo were pretty skittish. I figured it might be a 30 minute "hunt", but it ended up taking about 2 hours. They just weren't cooperating. Also, the reason the hunt was priced so cheap is because they are desperately trying to reduce the herd due to the recent drought and bad freezes which have killed all the grass (as you can see in the pictures, the range conditions were less that ideal for buffalo Eeker). Anyhow, I ended up connecting on my first buffalo ever at about 100 yards and we got it all on video! My first shot was a little high (still double lung). My second shot shattered his elbow and also went through both lungs. The other bull in the herd started beating him up and we had to chase him off. My bull was nearly dead, but I put in one last shot at an angle (he was lying kind of on his side) through his lungs and scapula for insurance. The 180 gr. Barnes MRX performed FLAWLESSLY! All three shots exited and no bullets were recovered. The only thing we recovered was a petal from the exit wound of my first shot. When you watch the video, you can clearly see the power of the bullet. He was down in less than 30 seconds. Here are a few pics:

Here is me with my dad

Here is me with my guide James (sophomore at Schreiner University)

Here is just me with the bull

And here is a picture of the biggest damn Watusi I have EVER seen!!! HOLY CRAP!!! (it was still pretty early and the lighting wasn't very good)

Hope y'all enjoy the pictures. Let me know what you think.

elandslayer,

What the bloody hell is a Watusi???? Confused

Damn, I'd like to shoot it Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Blair,

Watusi are a species of African cattle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Watusi was a dance, came out about the same time as the twist with Chubby Checker.

animal animal

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
ES,

At the risk of sounding as jaded as I feel, this type of behavior isn't particularly unique amongst mammals.

You'll witness this exact response every day throughout corporate America...my thirty years in the oilfield has given me ample opportunity to see this behavior repeated ad infinitum.

Your bison's antagonist is just a bit more overt, that's all!

Mark

And I find that not at all cynical !Smiler In "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", McMurphy speaks about chicken tearing a wounded chicken apart.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Either your 7 feet tall or that's not a 5 year old bull bison!

He is 2 or 3 tops or a cow?

Bison are within 200-300 pounds of their adult weight at 5.

This bull is closer to what a 5 year old bull looks like than what yours does. Are you shure it wasn't a cow?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
bewildered bewildered bewildered

How come a subject that was last posted on in April then revived in June has been revived for discussion.

Is someone bored??????????????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Either your 7 feet tall or that's not a 5 year old bull bison!

He is 2 or 3 tops or a cow?

Bison are within 200-300 pounds of their adult weight at 5.

This bull is closer to what a 5 year old bull looks like than what yours does. Are you shure it wasn't a cow?

Yes.......I'm positive it was NOT a cow. It had a pecker and 2 nuts. I'm not certain it was 5 years old, but I do know it was about 1,200 lbs. We weighed it at the processor.

I seriously doubt the bull in the picture you posted is 5 years old. He looks more like 12-15 to me. I worked on a ranch that has a 2 bulls that are 20+ and they look similar to the one you posted.

I also think the bison in Texas don't get as big as fast because of the extreme heat we usually get.....but I'm not a bison expert.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
So by that reasoning all the fat people I saw in Waco and Dallas were just visiting from Manitoba?

And Alaskans would be the fattest folks in the nation.

I have never seen a 5 year old bison bull that weighed under 1600 pounds. Yours looks a few years younger.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
So by that reasoning all the fat people I saw in Waco and Dallas were just visiting from Manitoba?

And Alaskans would be the fattest folks in the nation.

I have never seen a 5 year old bison bull that weighed under 1600 pounds. Yours looks a few years younger.

You do know that their are sub-species of Bison that don't get much over 1200 pounds

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
You had to shoot it three times with a 300 super magnum hell blaster?? Are you sure you didnt have a 30-30?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Glad you got him, and i understand the meat hunt part.

Mike's cow herd, once she was down, did the same thing, tried to get her up

I'm no judge of bison, but i like yours. I don't believe it to be 2, no more than 3, but it will eat good!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Oh yes.....it's definitely eatin' good!! We're almost out though. Just so yall know.....if you look at the date on this thread I shot the buffalo 2 years ago. We still probably have 40-50 lbs. left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 7 year old bull bison and it was over 2000 pounds,when quartered a bobcat fork lift was used to pick up them up and put them in the refer truck.Friends who go bison hunting only shoot young bulls and cows ,they taste better old bulls have rank tasting flesh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
scr83jp,
quote:
old bulls have rank tasting flesh

I have never noticed that before. How long did it take for you to get that old bull down and dead? My experience is that they (old bulls that is) are tough and suitable only for burger and the crock pot, although the tenderloins are typically still "tender".

ES,
Nice bull, I would say based upon his body size, head size, and size of bosses, that he was a 3 year old. Still an excellent young bull and much much better eatin' than some old trophy bugger.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love buffalo (bison) meat! Very rich flavor!