New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fall 2015 Kodiak Brown Bear/Deer combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My client isn't on AR but since i post here I figured i'd pass on the details of his trip.

I had a deer client apply for a kodiak brown bear tag in the area i work, i'm not a fan of fall brown bear hunts on kodiak for clients as the fall success rate later in the season isn't as good as early in the season, so i let my deer client for mid november apply for a tag and didn't charge him the normal rate. it all worked out.
the salmon run on kodiak in sept was unreal, flooded the streams with salmon, burning those poor bear out on fish, they had left all the rivers and were spending their time digging roots and berries in the high mountians. Day two we shot a nice blacktail buck in a valley, i call the valley of death. (for obvious reasons) the day after we headed back into that valley to sort out a nice buck we had seen the afternoon before. when low and behold just down from our gutpile was a nice brown bear digging roots.
quickly moving over the grassy hills and ditches we crested a rise, even with the bear and 125 yards off his bow, with him none the wise. a opening in the brush and the 300 win mag blew steam and pieces of lungs on the frosty moss, one more into his upper chest as he rolled and a short tumble down a steep alder blanketed hillside before this 9'2" boar commenced his dirt nap.

we did end up with that second buck....but it had to wait and extra day.... Smiler

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That bear looks like he has a great hide.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Thanks for sharing and thanks for giving your client one hell of a deal. Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Looks like a really nice Bear, how big was the Skull>?
Is the Deer hunting pretty good in your area??

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just shy of 26" was the skull. deer numbers are doing great. saw about 80 a day.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote