Find
Notify
Tools

New Zealand Back Country Outfitters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Over the last 40+ years, I've hunted with at least 50 different guides and outfitters, and not a one outshined Tim & Vanessa Buma (New Zealand Back Country Outfitters) when it comes to making their guests feel welcome and providing exactly what they advertise.

The lodge, though modest in size and appearance, was quite comfortable. My hunting partner and I never lacked for anything we needed during our stay. And if we asked for something, we got it.

Like the accommodations, the hunting was also top-notch. With a variety of game available to us, we were able to pick and choose our quarry for the seven days we spent on the south island of New Zealand. My companion and I each shot a trophy tahr, red deer stag, two NZ bronze turkeys and various other critters from possums and hares to wallaby and waterfowl. I also garnered a nice chamois buck and an outstanding feral Arapawa ram.

On a scale of 1 to 10, New Zealand Back Country Outfitters gets a 12!

You can contact them at:
E-mail: timbuma@hotmail.com or NZBCOutfitters@xtra.co.nz
Phone: Alpenhorn (03) 302 8779
Fax: (03) 302 8789
Mobile: Tim (025) 888 344
Vanessa (0274) 938 714
Post Address: P.O. Box 5, Methven, New Zealand 8353
Street Address: 44 Allen Street, Methven

Feel free to ask me any questions about the hunt or... Here's a couple photos. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As always, the most amazing quality photos !!! Wow !

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Thank you much, but again I have to give some credit to Tim Buma, who actually snapped the photos. Although he had a bit of tutoring and pre-ajustments to the camera by me, he did very well at composing and pointing out the wrong tilt of a head, wayward shadows, etc.

If you haven't seen them yet, the Outdoor Writer's NZ Hunt Photos - Day 1 and Outdoor Writer's NZ Hunt Photos - Day 2-3 threads in the Australian And New Zealand Hunting section have LOTS of photos from the hunt and I'll be adding Day 4 later this afternoon.

I'm on a broadband connection, but I imagine the threads will be slow loading for anyone on slow analog connections. So if you fit the latter, allow time. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote