Notify
Tools

Re: Great weekend !!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Andr�,
If you shoot them when they are relaxed (feeding, waterhole,etc), you will be able to aim better and the effect will be devastating. But if they are shot running away from dogs and if they have been doing a little bit of fighting, it's different, if the bullet don't hit the spine or something similar they will run a little bit, and in tall grass or thick bush will be difficult to find it. During the weekend, one of the pigs, a small one, was hitted with the 8x68, enter in diagonal through the chest and broke the otherside leg, he continued running but obviously the dogs caught him 80 metres away in the thick bush.

As we prefer to hunt them with long guns, we just use little dogs to move them away from their "nests" in the thick bushes. If you use dogs like dogos or cimarrones, most of the times a handgun or a knife is enough, but WE feel that in this case the dogs do the hunt because when you arrive they already have the pig caught, but also it's a real spectacle to see a good fight with a big boar. It's just a thing of personal options, my friends and I prefer to shoot them while running, so we just use small dogs.

I read that you are going to Argentine, maybe a good idea for your hunt there, is to use a lighter load, you will kill the same and you will not spoil too much meat as I believe the shot will be close, check it with your outfitter.

What other game you will be hunting and where?

Good luck
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo

How did the 8x68s perform on the pigs ?

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
the mauser argentine is the best in the world ask miller ask rigby or another maker here you can buy a custom for 600us im making a 300 winchester now with a 1909 .i have 6 dogos but i lost paimun 15 days ago i have weimarans pointers setters and brettons too i love dogs we will hunt boars ,cimarrones, pecaries,foxes, ostrichs,perhaps antilopes and cougars,carpinchos and doves ducks etc.juan

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo

I will be hunting with Juan Pozzi
I will use my .500 Jeffery with 535 grn soft nose at 2400 fps That will do the trick
I will also hunt with knife Juan will teach me He has Dogo Argentino.
I will hunt what Juan surgests He will put together a special Macho package for men who wants to be MEN

I do not have a 8x68s but are building one it will take some time due to funds
I have the action a DWN Modelo Argentino 1909 and I will ad a 29" barrel and make a long rifle.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
lorenzo its very nice to hear of you i pass most of my holidays as child in punta del este there i fish and navigate an small velero and i practice windsurfing we consider your country a brother of argentina our history its the same some years ago some friends compete in a championship of dog boar hunting in punta del este did you hear about it.i invite you to come to cordoba when you want or to the south to hunt red deer.juan pablo pozzi md

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote