Find
Notify
Tools

BIG Sask whitetail Down...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I returned this week to Sask to hunt whitetails with my friend Barry Samson who operates Safari River Outdoors - www.huntcanada.com . I killed a 178" monster last fall with my muzzleloader here, and was excited to get back.

Barry sent me to the same treestand I hunted from last year, and I didn't complain. The first day it was about 40 degrees for the high, and I saw doe movement all day, but no bucks. Day two was cloudy and the high stayed in the mid 30's.

About 10 AM, it began raining, then sleeting, then snowing, then raining again. I had seen about 10 does through the morning. Then at 11:59 AM, I saw antlers in the thick bush, and a good deer emerged. He was all profile, and he looked like a 10 pointer with a split G-2. I got ready and when he came in an opening and finally turned broadside, I hammered him with a 180 grain Winchester E-tip. He went about 20 yards.

When I recovered him, I was shocked. he had 6 points on the side I could see, and 9 on the other side (plus 2 more real little ones I didn't count). He was huge!

We gross scored him at 174 4/8, and he has so many points going different ways, you can't take a photo and get them all in it. This is why you come to Sask, and Safari River is a fantastic operation!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
That's a pig. Congrats

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Tim,
That is a truly awesome, awesome buck. Congrats to you! Hope you will share his score with us.

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice deer!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Tim,
WOW! thats a nice buck!
You have been busy this fall.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Great buck!! Busy? Do you even know where home is?

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck and Great Memories!!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a Smoker! Congrats Tim.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Helluva buck...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, congrats.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Real nice. Real, real nice.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Helluva nice buck.
I finally see the difference between the pros and the rest of us. Product placement.
What kind of a gun is that? Oh yeah.
How about those binoculars? I see.
Where'd ya get that hat? Oh. rotflmo

I'm just kidding, and I appreciate that most of us can go back to the lodge and warm up, take a nap, eat, or whatever, while you have to keep working. Getting to do what you love for a living is a helluvan accomplishment as well. Good hunting.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Helluva nice buck.
I finally see the difference between the pros and the rest of us. Product placement.
Where'd ya get that hat? Oh. rotflmo

I'm just kidding, and I appreciate that most of us can go back to the lodge and warm up, take a nap, eat, or whatever, while you have to keep working. Getting to do what you love for a living is a helluvan accomplishment as well. Good hunting.

I like how he switches between Winchester and Under Armour hats too!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I can take the ribbing guys Big Grin- Just trying to make a living doing what I love...

As a short update, I am in camp with 3 friends and they are still deer hunting. I went yesterday and bought a bird license and went scou8ting the countryside and got permission to hunt a few spots. This morning I killed 7 greenheads and a woodie in 40 minutes, and then went grouse hunting for an hour and shot 3 spruce grouse and a sharptail. I have a 3 acre pond lined up that has 4000-5000 mallards on it. I am trying to hold off on it until someone else gets a deer so they can go shoot it with me. We only have 2 days left, so they better hurry up! This has been a really fun trip, and today was getting back to my roots- a bag of dekes, waders andold 870 and a public river, alone. Gotta love it...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a brute! Congrats on an excellent trophy.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck, Tim! You have been busy this fall!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Your having a great year after a poor start in Namibia.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where'd ya get that hat? Oh.
jumping

I'm okay with this...just so Tim doesn't sign Hanes as a sponsor! Big Grin

That is brute of a deer Tim! Looking at the website, you hunted the early season...how do you compare this timeframe to the November rifle hunts? Their Sept bird/bear hunts look like fun.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
No worries Bill- you see I try to cover the Under Armour up with about 5 layers. I don't even want to see myself in it. I get dressed in the dark Eeker.

I have killed two mid 170 deer in 2 years in Oct., but no doubt November is the best time to hunt. You will see many more bucks and can be choosier. That being said- the combo stuff is pretty cool. If you came on bird/bear, you should expect to kill limits of waterfowl every morning and kill a bear for sure. After you kill the bear, you can hunt geese in the morning and ducks in afternoon, and again, kill limits.

I checked my duck pond this afternoon, and between the pond and the field it is in, there were probably close to 10,000 mallards.

One last note on the earlier hunts. The bowhunter that was in here before me last year killed a 159 10 pointer, and he said there was a deer well over 170 behind it that he didn't see until he shot his buck. That was the 5th buck he saw that day, but he didn't see a buck the day before. All I know is they are here- we all know it takes some luck to kill a big one.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Forget the deer, let's see some pics of those greenheads!

I too have noticed that compression fit UA is not the most flattering of attire. Big Grin

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I haven't downloaded any duck pix yet, sorry. The duck hunt this morning was way better than anything I have ever experienced in Arkansas, Mexico, etc. I waited on good cameraligt to shoot, and killed 8 big greenheads in 30 minutes. I only shot drakes and only shot 1 duck per group trying to stretch it out. It was more fun than should be legal. 2 hours later, all the ducks were right back. My cameraguy and I are going back in the morning and are going to share one gun so it will be a somewhat longer hunt. It is just incredible mallard shooting...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Tim..man your killing me. Big Grin

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Helluva deer! Congrats!

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flntknp17
posted Hide Post
Nice deer!

I just wanted to put in another good word for Barry and his company. I went on a bear hunt at his camp north of Meadow Lake Sask. last spring and could not have possibly been more pleased with Barry, the camp, or the hunt. My guide was super and the stands and baits were well executed. If I didn't live in Iowa I would certainly be going there to hunt whitetails as well.

Matt

Posts: 38 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WTR
posted Hide Post
Beast of a buck, Congrats!

Canadian whitetails are amazing animals. We have always hunted them during November - but you now have me quite intrigued with the earlier muzzleloader season... though the rut action is hard to beat.

Posts: 35 | Location: Madison, GA | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote