ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    Alaskan Moose Adventure or Maybe Mis-Adventure 2014
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Moose Adventure or Maybe Mis-Adventure 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No hunt report or discussion till Alaska Troopers are done with their investigation.

But here are some hunt pictures. I took all the pictures and most are of this fellow Biebs. I don't like selfies.

Biebs going to the office - the daily climb from the spike camp at the base of the hill to the top of the hill from where we glassed for moose.

Biebs on this third Alaskan Moose hunt. He is not very lucky with Moose.

Crocs in Alaska

Biebs smoking a marlboro to calm his nerves before his alleged 423 yard shot.

Biebs aiming at Moose claimed to be 423 yards away

The moose Biebs is aiming at

The inside scoop - Biebs shot hit the moose but the last of my 5 back up shots with a 375 ruger killed the moose. It was at 570 plus yards. But as we all African Hunters know it takes a control round feed mauser based rifle with a minimum of 375 caliber to do the job. A blaser killing a moose - come on. The moose was less than 20 yards from my final back up shooting.

Biebs and Bob with the dead moose

Biebs "be like all angry" when I told him the ruger 375 was needed to finish the job.

Biebs and his dead moose

Biebs trying to find and hide the 375 ruger bullet that we all know killed the moose.

Biens and his moose

Biebs in envious admiration

My dagga boy moose

My big body old moose

My moose killed in the tall grass (only grass I saw) at 200 yards off hand with ruger 375.

My moose earlier in the day when he gave us the slip and got away

Bob climbing back after the moose gave the first slip in the morning.

Bob is "the Man." He is actually superman.

Biebs checking out my moose.

I will post a report (after the state troopers are done) and more pictures before that.

Now I expect Biebs to come and say all the stuff I said about his shooting is a big lie. But we all know the truth Cool

Also thanks to Larry Shores and Jim (Frostbit) for gear advice. The stika gear (also some under armour stuff) was top notch. Worth the money - its expensive but it kept me warm and more importantly dry.

Also many thanks to Joyce and Jim (Frostbit) for inviting me to their beautiful house for dinner.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That blaser is one impressive rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you on your moose! I'll be interested to hear what's up with the troopers, but understand discretion is probably best at this point.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brett

The issues the troopers are looking into does not involve Biebs, Bob or me or the moose we shot. I have not spoken to the troopers to-date. But one was in camp and another two spoke to other client hunters in camp/spike camps. So I am going to withhold writing a hunt report or further comments till I get more info. I do know one thing the troopers recorded all conversations with hunters so its not like they were just checking if everyone had a hunting license - the issues were not related to legal infractions by client hunters.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truthfully Biebs shot was the best shooting i have seen. It was not shot off any rest but off his knee in a prone position at 423 yards. It was also shot downhill.

The first shot anchored the moose and his back legs buckled and front legs were raised.

I am buying a blaser after seeing it shoot that well.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job and congrats to both of you. And you are right about Bob. He is superman and I hate to admit that I was with him when he lost his famous German hunting hat. Glad my bad luck didn't rub off on you guys. Fabulous moose.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both of you!

Now Biebs can come in and tell us how he had to shoot your moose for you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Congratulations to both of you!

Now Biebs can come in and tell us how he had to shoot your moose for you.

Biebs tried to take a few shoots. But he is not an accomplished off hand shooter like myself dancing

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a little disappointed that there were no photos of the Blaser accompanied by a Fanta Orange can. Maybe it was toooo heavy to carry into camp? Maybe the "troopers" confiscated it?

Congrats guys on a job well done and two
great moose and photos.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is superman and I hate to admit that I was with him when he lost his famous German hunting hat. Glad my bad luck didn't rub off on you guys. Fabulous moose.

Don

Don, do you have a photo of Bob with his hat on? Maybe I'll try to find a replacement.

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures Mike and congratulations to both of you. I see Beibs got wise and left that big ol' "tank" Blaser at home. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cb - From the pictures they posted, sure looks like Beibs has his trusty R8 Blaser in tow!!

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Thanks for the pictures Mike and congratulations to both of you. I see Beibs got wise and left that big ol' "tank" Blaser at home. CB

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not much tanky about an R8. Here's a copy/paste of one of Jon's posts just before the trip.

Scott, screw 'em all! I'm heading to Alaska for Moose on Sept 7th. We sit up on a knoll and overlook thousands of acres of tundra and willow. I'm bringing a Blaser LRS2 in 338 Rem Ultramag shooting 225gr Accubonds at 3,150 fps....extend the range a bit :-)

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not much tanky about an R8. Here's a copy/paste of one of Jon's posts just before the trip.

Scott, screw 'em all! I'm heading to Alaska for Moose on Sept 7th. We sit up on a knoll and overlook thousands of acres of tundra and willow. I'm bringing a Blaser LRS2 in 338 Rem Ultramag shooting 225gr Accubonds at 3,150 fps....extend the range a bit :-)

Biebs can bring any blaser he feels like but at the end of the day he always needs back up shooting from a control round feed action bolt action rifle !!!!!!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Biebs can bring any blaser he feels like but at the end of the day he always needs back up shooting from a control round feed action bolt action rifle !!!!!!

Mike

Is it the rifle, the shooter, or a combo of both needing the back-up? stir

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I suppose if any of your shots had actually hit the animal, it would have helped :-)

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit/Jim

Its all cumulative with Biebs you know.

- The rifle - control round feed
- The calibre - 375 or larger
- My excellent off hand shooting abilities
- My ability to put 5 rounds downrange

All of them along with Marlboro cigs to calm Biebs nervous hands

All create the perfect shot or else it would all be pear shaped for Biebs on his third or fourth moose hunt.

Last time I checked the Moose was dead less 20 yards from my last shot and 100+ yards from Biebs last shot. Everybody can judge for themselves Cool

Biebs - I just shot it the first 4 times to check the feeding of the rifle. Wanted to make sure the control round action of the Ruger fed the round perfectly and it did as expected.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Why does "Hey Mo, hey Larry" come to mind? sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

As long as the dead Moose is Curly !!!!!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Entertaining hunt report. Biebs congratulations !

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always entertaining with Biebs

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great pictures mike tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Always entertaining with Biebs

Wow!! Short Moose

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Shemp. Smiler
Hey Mike. Does Bob guide for Caribou?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

As long as the dead Moose is Curly !!!!!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Caribou are a long shot in this area.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That's too bad. Bob seems to be on top of his game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's too bad. Bob seems to be on top of his game.

Bob is the most impressive PH/Guide have ever hunted with. At 74 years he very easily out walked me (and even great white hunter like Biebs).

He has the ability to guide, skin, pack, cook and save one behind in the Alaskan bush. I saw him pack a hide and moose meat of at least 80-100 pounds. I did not lift the pack fearing I would throw my back out. Biebs gave the pack a little haul.

He is also a damn good pilot and was in the army for 20 plus years.

He is truly inspirational to hunt with. Blows all the African PH and TV celebrity hunting guys out of the water.

Mike

PS - He is also very smart. He made Biebs sleep outside in a coleman (cold man tent).

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the conformation on Bob's talents Mike. It's refreshing to hear that one person can do it all including the fly in and out. Bob is tops on my list for a Moose hunt if I ever raise to that level. I'd imagine he wasn't the first guide you tried for moose. Who discovered him you or Beibs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob was the first guide I have used for Moose - actually first guide in N America. Beibs knows Bob really well. I hunted with Bob cause of Biebs.

Bob is an all rounder in cricket terms. He can do it all.

Great guy and truly at 74 an inspiration to see him do all these things.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am buying a Blaser after seeing it shoot that well.

+1 Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://onyourownadventures.com...wthread.php?t=260920

Hunt report from one of the guys in camp in alaska.

This guy was a hard core hunter.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://onyourownadventures.com...wthread.php?t=260920

Hunt report from one of the guys in camp in alaska.

This guy was a hard core hunter.

Mike

Mike that was a great link and read.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

what a great story.

love the 375 ruger too and i have a left handed like you.

do not know if it will work as good as yours in Yukon ...

Phil

Posts: 1748 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW ! I didn't think you could get a moose without a Double Rifle, and I didn't think Biebs could shoot anything without a double ! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read the link ... Eeker I cannot believe that the outfitter allowed all that meat to spoil .. along with all the other stuff that was happening ??? Is that still on going ??? I was under the impression that the penalties in Alaska were huge for wanton waste etc... ???

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
I read the link ... Eeker I cannot believe that the outfitter allowed all that meat to spoil .. along with all the other stuff that was happening ??? Is that still on going ??? I was under the impression that the penalties in Alaska were huge for wanton waste etc... ???

They don't appreciate meat waste. Any news on what's happening with the outfitter?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That POS outfitter should lose his license.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that was disgusting on the outfitter.

At least the guy kept his head up and enjoyed what he could.

Hope your hunt went a little better than that one... did you get all your meat?

Posts: 10675 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The troopers are still investigating the issue and have been calling those of us in the camp last year. Hard to charge people and get convictions off an internet story except on the internet.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.