Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska wolf hunt????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
i have a friend visiting me from England in a few months and he is keen to hunt a wolf while over across the pond. i wouldn't mind meeting him in Anchorage and the 2 of us hunting a wolf, then we carry on to my place in Ca. to shot some wild hogs. any suggestions?????

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Contact Rick Kinmon.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
$7000( plus the usual license, extras, etc) for a 2x1 wolf hunt is a bit more than i had in mind!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Doug in BC he has and add here but this is it
This season after the gross amount of wolves hanging around this season I am offering wolf hunts over bait.
You can shoot as many wolves as you have tags for.

The 2 bait stations will have a heated blind 150 yards off the bait.
Success will depend on patience I am sure.
When they come often lots of wolves show up.

The hunts will be 7 days long and will run from Dec 1 through the end March.

2 on 1 hunts $3200.00/hunter plus tax
1 on 1 hunt $5000.00 plus 2.5% tax

License $189.00
Each wolf tag is $52.50
CITIES permit $60.00

Included is pickup and drop off from Aniham Lake, BC

All meals and lodging.
Field prep of trophies

Not included
Alcohol
gratuities

Pictures of the three wolves we got the past 2 weeks

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i saw Doug's ad but for various reasons i would prefer to hunt in Alaska.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Coke Wallace out of Healy runs a good show.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will see if I can get a contact
We don't offer wolf stand alone hunts
But there are a few guys that offer that hunt as well as trapping
Good luck
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Coke Wallace out of Healy runs a good show.

can't find a google hit for Coke Wallace. and it wouldn't necessarily need to be a stand alone wolf hunt if trapping provided a good opportunity for a wolf. my friend is a SAS trooper currently on deployment in Africa and he wants to hunt something "dangerous"( although he is already hunting the most dangerous game on the planet but can't afford the "heavier" stuff")

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar
Have my feelers out
Let you know soon
Larry

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thanks, Larry and Karl said to tell you hello!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Karl is a great guy and PH
LOVE HIS JUMBO HUNTING
larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar

Tom said try these 2
Braun Kopsack...out of Palmer
http://www.knikglacieradventures.com/index.html
And
Coke Wallace
http://www.midnightsunsafaris.com/index.php
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar
Contacted Jake Jefferson he was a one man outfit with great hunts. He has since left the guiding business to the dismay of many people that hunted with him.
He suggested Alpine Creek Lodge.
I looked it up about $8500 per
He also said one can run into plenty of wolves or some go many years and never see one. My experience is the never see one.
I have spent months and months in the bush in Alaska never seen one. But again we had 2 clients during moose season each shoot one.
Good luck
From all I have read the best bet for wolves is BC I have checked outta least 4 different places over the years and it seems to be the best. There are also a few places in upper Ontario Canada that has great sucess.
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar
Look at at least 10 outfits in Alaska offering any type of fall wolf hunts
They start at $7000 to $10,000
I don't see anything in the BC price range of $3500 to $4500
Larry

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thanks, Larry, but for that kind of money we could do a mountain lion hunt in Idaho for half the cost. my buddy is British special forces( SAS)and just wants to hunt something "dangerous"( although after 3 tours in A'stan and 1 in the horn of Africa and currently in north Africa on a training mission, he has already hunted "dangerous game"), a $7000-10,000 hunt per person is a bit much. plus his finances preclude such a cost… after 2 bad experiences in northern BC( a total of 20 days on horseback and never firing my rifle plus a number of other issues), i refuse to waste a dime in Canada. thanks a lot, anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can line you up with a good lion hunt after Jan 1 in Idaho
If you want to do that I will make you a great deal.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Never hunted cats with him, only javelina, but Rocky MCBride is considered one of the best in NA with hounds.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3434 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soory to hear that jdollar, you definately got the short end of the stick on your BC hunts.

Timing must have been terrible or did the outfitter suck that bad.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last year I shot mine off a feedlot about 250 mi NNE of Boise.

You might check with Judge Jerry here. He is a retired federal judge and offers a few lion hunts near Salmon, Idaho. He lives just north of there.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i know the Judge from back when i hunted a leopard with his dog pack in Botswana. i sent him a PM but haven't heard back yet.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Soory to hear that jdollar, you definately got the short end of the stick on your BC hunts.

2 different outfitters. first north of Fort Nelson near Muncho Lake. second just south of the Yukon border in the Cassiar Mountains. both hunts in mid Oct for moose/caribou. basically, both sucked( and went out of business a few years later). this was 15 or so years ago but the bad taste lingers….

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:

2 different outfitters. first north of Fort Nelson near Muncho Lake. second just south of the Yukon border in the Cassiar Mountains. both hunts in mid Oct for moose/caribou. basically, both sucked( and went out of business a few years later). this was 15 or so years ago but the bad taste lingers….

Man that is some tough luck you had. I don't blame you for being bitter, I would be too.
If you ever think about trying again give me a shout and i will tell you what ever I know about the outfitter and area you are interested in. No BS.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug
Good offer
Hope people will take you up on your advise
Good luck
Larry
By the way if I get this land tranaction completed I will be calling you about the wolf hunt.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thanks for that. it wasn't that i didn't shoot anything. we just didn't see anything and both camps were poorly run. it was easy to see why they went out of business. the first hunt( Muncho Lake) was my very first guided hunt. my buddy shot a small bull moose the last day and we left all but 1 hind quarter behind for the bears/wolves, even though we had pack horses with us to load it up. at the time i didn't know that that was illegal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You definatley got screwed jdollar, animals can be scarce sometimes but that is a bit much. At the least you should have hunted hard , had a good camp with good food and seen some game.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
we hunted very hard with many miles in the saddle. between the 2 hunts we saw less than a dozen caribou( all cows/calves and very young bulls) and a grand total of 2 moose- 1 young bull and 1 cow. we saw more grizzlies than anything else except pine martens… on the second hunt we hunted on foot for 3 different days because a griz came into camp, chased the hobbled horses off, and the wrangler spent the next day finding them while we hunted on foot. the outfitter offered us a free hunt the following year because of the total lack of game. when we tried to take him up on the offer the next year, he changed his mind- and was out of business the next year.