Alaska moose hunt
 Login/Join

posted
I have a early season moose hunt in the Alaska Range opening for $15,500

Dates August 30-September 10

NR license $160 Alien $630
Moose NR $800 Alien $1000

Arriving in Kenai 28/29

Fee includes: bush flights in/out of hunt area, food and trophy care.

Client harvested a 66” last fall out of this area.

Contact information: Richard Moran R1247
Phone number: 907-301-3832
Email: extreme.aventures@yahoo.com

Check out photos on Guidefitter.com

posted Hide Post
Hunt is 1x1, I’ll be guiding the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I spent 23 days hunting with Rich. Before you book anything with him send me a PM.

Rich, you could have salvaged a poor experience by doing what you said you would do but after I left AK you would never return any of my correspondences or phone calls. You just hid out. That was very frustrating and unprofessional. Now you surface again looking to book hunts here. Ha!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Interesting...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9579 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Someone pass the popcorn please.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mr Lowe,

You booked a 12 day 9,500 spring brown bear hunt and we hunted 23 days. I also wanted you to harvested a brown bear that’s why I gave you 11 extra days. I really cannot see why you’re so bitter.

My solo operation and is somewhat hard to jockey clients around, to accommodate others. I told you my fall was busy and I’ll see what I could do for you. I could work you into a 6 day hunt. Sorry, but that was really the best I could do.

BTW I do remember that big brown bear, honest 9’8-9’9’ that walked by broadside at 240 yds, that was your bear. I can still see that image as it was yesterday. Pisses me off!

Mr Lowe I am truly sorry you think I’m unprofessional, after 25 years of military service, I find it hard to believe.

I hope one day you kill a monster brown.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Confidently estimating a bear's squared size to within an inch at 240 yards, eh? Impressive! But then it's pretty easy when there's nothing to measure at the end of the day...

Roll Eyes

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Confidently estimating a bear's squared size to within an inch at 240 yards, eh? Impressive! But then it's pretty easy when there's nothing to measure at the end of the day...

Roll Eyes

Post hunt accusations and claims are always easy when there’s really nothing to measure it by at the end of the day...

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
As a master guide, would you stake your reputation that you could estimate the size of a broadside bear to within an inch at a distance of 240 yards? Just curious.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
As a master guide, would you stake your reputation that you could estimate the size of a broadside bear to within an inch at a distance of 240 yards? Just curious.

What I would or would not do isn’t on trial here. Just saying accusations Are easy on all sides after the fact....

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I'm no internet prosecutor, I'm not on anyone's side and I don't see this as any sort of trial. And FWIW I agree that a situation like this, without other folks offering opinions (testimony? Wink ) it is a 'he said, she said' kind of deal. Now that I've hopefully cleared that up, can you or other guides confidently eyeball a bear's size to within an inch at 200+ yards? Frankly, I personally think such a feat is impossible, and more than a bit silly to claim such, but then what do I know? Teach me something. Is it possible, in your professional opinion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen guides off by over a foot. I would not narrow a bear down to a inch size range.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Moran:
Mr Lowe,

You booked a 12 day 9,500 spring brown bear hunt and we hunted 23 days. I also wanted you to harvested a brown bear that’s why I gave you 11 extra days. I really cannot see why you’re so bitter.
Yes, I thought $9500 was a smokin' deal for 12 days with the possibility of taking 2 brown bears and one black bear. One animal killed would have been good. I had $1300 in three licenses. I did the extra 11 days since you offered and I wasn't giving up. You owed me a flight since weather prevented you flying to scout bear activity before I arrived in Kenai. I paid 50% of the other flights to move the camp another location that you wanted to try for those 11 days. Then when it was time to square up with the air service you tried to have me pay for the whole bill.

My solo operation and is somewhat hard to jockey clients around, to accommodate others. I told you my fall was busy and I’ll see what I could do for you. I could work you into a 6 day hunt. Sorry, but that was really the best I could do.
Actually you never mentioned how many days we would hunt in September. You just told me we would camp on a lake that had fish and bears so I'd get a chance at a fall Brown bear. I told you I would pay for all the flight time and expenses (food and such) for this second trip. Then you chose just to ignore my voicemails and emails and text messages to set up the hunt.

BTW I do remember that big brown bear, honest 9’8-9’9’ that walked by broadside at 240 yds, that was your bear. I can still see that image as it was yesterday. Pisses me off!
Rich is also off on his stated distance. He didn't have a rangefinder, I did. The bear was at 550 yards when he walked through the narrow clearing. He did not stop. We were below the top of the alders when he yelled at me to "shoot, shoot!" There was no shot presented yet he is still angry about me not taking what he says was a shot.

Mr Lowe I am truly sorry you think I’m unprofessional, after 25 years of military service, I find it hard to believe.
Thanks for your service in the Air Force but that has no bearing on your guiding ability.

I hope one day you kill a monster brown.
Every story you told had a "big bear, MONSTER BEAR". Man I got tired hearing that phrase.

I called your references before hunting. They told me I'd get a bear in one or two days. After hunting with you I understood why so quickly. You fly to find bears just coming out of the den laying by the hole. Since you couldn't fly before I arrived we just went to one of your hunting valleys. We snowshoed to vantage points to glass. I broke trail for you most of the way since you were not in the shape required to take the lead. I still think of how pathetic you looked when you took off your snowshoes climbing up the sun softened snow thinking you would have it easier without them on. You rolled and floundered around since there was no bottom to the snow trying to get them back on.

You left your rifle outside in the snow storm uncovered. I thought this was dumb because of the possibility of freezing up the action. Our lives could have been threatened if we needed that rifle yet it was inoperable. I even offered to cover it with mine yet you told me just to leave it.

You fed me food that had been expired for over two years. The candy bars had that white film on them and the chewy granola bars were like wood.

You got angry at me for sitting on a rock out from the camp glassing alone while you were still sleeping in the tent. You slept a lot. I have video of your snoring while we should have been looking. You just didn't put forth much effort to make this a success.

I tried to make the best of a bad situation. I never bad mouthed you here over the trip. I just don't feel your service and attitude towards me was professional.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been my limited experience that Alaska is 2x the price of Africa for an equivalent hunt, but the game is extremely scarce, guides are generally dubious, the food poor, and the camps basic. This is partly due to the short seasons so these "guides" are basically part-timers and the camps makeshift. So expectations have to be adjusted.

It's illegal to fly in and shoot the same day so the "scouting flight" method sounds like a plan to go to jail.

On my one and only hunt there were other clients in camp, Les Krank the outfitter was all marketing and little substance, the guide I had was nearly deaf (he was a tugboat engineer), the guides drank straight liquor out of a bottle while we clients had cool-aid and MREs, the overloaded zodiac nearly sank after getting ripped on a rock, the tent leaked, we had to pack our own meat (those of use that shot something), I got one glimpse of a distant moose, and we spent more time moving camp, repairing boats, and otherwise screwing around than we spent hunting.

For all these reasons I told myself I would not do Alaska again. But if I were offered a 23 day hunt for $9500 I probably would, and I would be OK with a sleep-in on Sundays!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I have seen guides off by over a foot. I would not narrow a bear down to a inch size range.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I read about North American guided hunts anywhere the less I want to take a chance with any outfittter I personally have not used in the past. Most are over priced camping trips with guides whom are partimers during hunting season. Yes there are good outfits even great outfits to be found but to lay out $10,000-$25000 on the "hopes" of finding a good one by the references he supplied is not worth the risk for most. For $15000 I can go to Africa and have a GRAND trip for plains game.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going on a hunt or going on a killing spree. All depends what a guy likes to do. I hunted Africa once. Wasn’t my thing. I enjoy a week of the possibility of find what I was looking for rather than the possibility of finding everything I was looking for. Some guys spend 50k on a Chevy....that’s a gamble right there.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been hosed twice in Alaska and once in Canada and once in the USA. Issue was over-promising and not delivering. I did research. I used an agent. I called references. All three checked out but were way less than expected or promised.

It happens in Africa, but I see less of it as I know the operators there better than in North America. Plus, I check them out on AR as well.

All in all, I believe the guides/PH's in Africa are far more skilled than in the US or Canada. They do it full time and know their craft. A Zimbabwe trained PH has 2 to 4 years as an apprentice, then must be examined and recommended before he can be a PH.

In the Yukon, all you need is a one day First Aid card and an outfitter that lists you as a "guide" on his list of guides. There are no other qualifications. I was shocked when I learned this after my disaster in the Yukon last fall. I have had the same issue twice in Alaska.

So, do you homework and then do it again. Hopefully you won't get cheated or misled. On my disaster in the Yukon, I acted on a recommendation from one of the top sheep hunters in the USA. But, the experience had been 5 or more years ago and not recent. Recent hunters have been less successful in the area I was placed in. All in all, I was lied to and misled.

Comparing Africa and North America is hard as the terms of engagement are different, expectations are different and the type of experience is different. I prefer Africa to North America but will likely do North America hunts again - just not many.

From my experience, the bear hunts are the hardest to judge. I have done 3 bear hunts and killed one small black bear. On the other two, we never saw anything to pursue. I was misled on one and the other was just wrong place wrong time. However, the cost of any bear hunt is equal to a real nice hunt in Africa for a lot less agony. That said, I am going bear hunting again in May on a boat hunt. This should be be good hunt, but we shall see.

If you really want to roll the dice, go to Russia.....

Posts: 10201 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have been hosed twice in Alaska and once in Canada and once in the USA. Issue was over-promising and not delivering. I did research. I used an agent. I called references. All three checked out but were way less than expected or promised.

It happens in Africa, but I see less of it as I know the operators there better than in North America. Plus, I check them out on AR as well.

All in all, I believe the guides/PH's in Africa are far more skilled than in the US or Canada. They do it full time and know their craft. A Zimbabwe trained PH has 2 to 4 years as an apprentice, then must be examined and recommended before he can be a PH.

In the Yukon, all you need is a one day First Aid card and an outfitter that lists you as a "guide" on his list of guides. There are no other qualifications. I was shocked when I learned this after my disaster in the Yukon last fall. I have had the same issue twice in Alaska.

So, do you homework and then do it again. Hopefully you won't get cheated or misled. On my disaster in the Yukon, I acted on a recommendation from one of the top sheep hunters in the USA. But, the experience had been 5 or more years ago and not recent. Recent hunters have been less successful in the area I was placed in. All in all, I was lied to and misled.

Comparing Africa and North America is hard as the terms of engagement are different, expectations are different and the type of experience is different. I prefer Africa to North America but will likely do North America hunts again - just not many.

From my experience, the bear hunts are the hardest to judge. I have done 3 bear hunts and killed one small black bear. On the other two, we never saw anything to pursue. I was misled on one and the other was just wrong place wrong time. However, the cost of any bear hunt is equal to a real nice hunt in Africa for a lot less agony. That said, I am going bear hunting again in May on a boat hunt. This should be be good hunt, but we shall see.

If you really want to roll the dice, go to Russia.....

+1

Alaska was the worst hunt ever and I got a moose.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
The more I read about North American guided hunts anywhere the less I want to take a chance with any outfittter I personally have not used in the past. Most are over priced camping trips with guides whom are partimers during hunting season. Yes there are good outfits even great outfits to be found but to lay out $10,000-$25000 on the "hopes" of finding a good one by the references he supplied is not worth the risk for most. For $15000 I can go to Africa and have a GRAND trip for plains game.

Maybe like us they should introduce two tier pricing payable on success? That would sort the men from the boys.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9873 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Exactly
Africa for me for that kinda dough
No disrespect to Alaskan boys

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally guided in Alaska for a few years I saw the under belly of the industry. I've guided in Colorado as well not much better. To be certain I've spent a couple years worth of my income on NA guided trips that I researched or booked thru a booking agent ....the truth they were all hit or miss most were mediocore at best a few very well done whether I killed game or not. The trips I have made to Africa have all been to shelf. Will I book guided hunts in NA again, yes but less risky types such as mule deer, antelope, maybe elk on private land, etc. I go someplace at least once every fall.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So.....
Are any of you taking the offered moose hunt?

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hear many talking about the "luck of the hunt". Depending upon the hunting venue in Africa much can be controlled with respect to the game. Free range hunting in NA is different. Your hunt should be judged on what the outfitter/guide can control i.e. food, equipment, guides, organization. The quality of the area you are hunting can be determined by several years of clients, both successful and not successful. Weather is a huge factor in moose hunting, period. A guide and client last year on Sept 18 saw 10 bull moose with 4 shooters over a week period with moose answering calls from several directions. The next year not one fresh track and no response to calls what so ever. Do you blame that on the outfitter? Was his overhead less this year so you could get a discount? Most outfitters want you to be successful and many would give a reduced price for another hunt for the purpose of goodwill. But demanding it is not understanding hunting versus contracting for a bunch of animals in Africa. If you go out hunting in your own State of Province and don't get anything are you angry? Probably not so the difference is the money and that is where you have to look at the things the outfitter/guide COULD control.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no comparison between hunting Africa and Alaska. I would dare say anyone disappointed in coming home empty handed on an Alaska hunt or any other hunt for that matter doesn't have a true understanding of what hunting is and what it entails. There is always the possibility of coming home empty handed and sometimes the trophy is just getting back unscathed. These folks would be better off golfing.

It continually amazes me how many people call themselves hunters, yet can't do anything on their own short of sitting in a whitetail blind. These are the guys who've never done anything without a guide holding their hand and expect that guide to do everything short of wiping their ass.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
There is no comparison between hunting Africa and Alaska. I would dare say anyone disappointed in coming home empty handed on an Alaska hunt or any other hunt for that matter doesn't have a true understanding of what hunting is and what it entails. There is always the possibility of coming home empty handed and sometimes the trophy is just getting back unscathed. These folks would be better off golfing.

It continually amazes me how many people call themselves hunters, yet can't do anything on their own short of sitting in a whitetail blind. These are the guys who've never done anything without a guide holding their hand and expect that guide to do everything short of wiping their ass.

Well said!!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I must assume most whom are members here on AR know what sport hunting on either side of the ocean is . Understanding money spent does not equate to animals on the ground. The issue here is true effort given by the outfitter and his hired guides. Sloppy camps, poor food, horses that can not be found at day break, hunting areas devoid of game sign, etc. These things the outfitter can control unfortunately many today want the $ more than are willing to do so.

Picture of Tikka1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said deadibob... Tikka from MM...

Posts: 4 | Location: Utah | Registered: 27 July 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There are no guarantees in hunting. However, one big difference between NA and African hunts is that the tag/trophy isn't paid unless blood is drawn. In NA, you have to buy that tag up front. That cost can be significant depending on the state/province and species hunted.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just like to add some biological facts to our discussion. A healthy population for moose in the Yukon is about 150 moose per 1000 square km. A normal sex ratio is 60/40 split between cows to bulls. So in 1000 sq km there would be about 60 bulls ranging in age from 2 to 12 or 14 years old with many fewer old bulls compared to young bulls.
Don't get me wrong, I love hunting in the wilds of Africa, but when I have African outfitter friends come to the Yukon and B.C. to hunt they can't believe the overall scarcity of game. It just is a nature of the beast.
You might consider hunts where you are able to cover a greater amount of territory as opposed to hunting in one spot on a lake.
I hope this helps to understand some of the difficulties faced by hunters in Canada.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhaney:
I would just like to add some biological facts to our discussion. A healthy population for moose in the Yukon is about 150 moose per 1000 square km. A normal sex ratio is 60/40 split between cows to bulls. So in 1000 sq km there would be about 60 bulls ranging in age from 2 to 12 or 14 years old with many fewer old bulls compared to young bulls.
Don't get me wrong, I love hunting in the wilds of Africa, but when I have African outfitter friends come to the Yukon and B.C. to hunt they can't believe the overall scarcity of game. It just is a nature of the beast.
You might consider hunts where you are able to cover a greater amount of territory as opposed to hunting in one spot on a lake.
I hope this helps to understand some of the difficulties faced by hunters in Canada.

Jim

well said and accurate description of the ground. thanks a lot.

Phil

Posts: 1739 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:

While a bit harsh IMO, certainly some fair truth here. With regard to success you CAN'T be certain of anything in Alaska. You could be on a moose hunt in the highest population area in the state with the best outfit and the most experienced guide, where every client for the last 5 years has killed a 60" bull and totally fail even with extra hunting days if the weather is not on your side. Alaska should be about the experience, the land, the adventure, and yes the hunting. If you are just looking to come up here and cross some animals off the list with as little time and risk as possible......likely prepare for disappointment.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhaney:

Jim

You also have to consider that in that 1,000 sq km there might be areas with relatively higher and lower densities too. A travel or food corridor during certain times of the year might have multiples of the population (moose, caribou, bears, ect) found in another very near area that is relatively devoid of game. In 2014 I saw 4 bull moose 58" or more in 8 days in an area with .25-.33 moose per square mile or a moose every 3-4 square miles. I've caribou hunted places with huge herds and struggled to see 50-100 animals on a long hunt and last year saw 1,500-2,000 in a day and a half.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There are few comparisons between African and North American hunts.
Unless you are hunting the CAR or Congo you are not likely to find as much true, uninhabited wilderness as you can in Canada or Alaska.
A livable wage for camp help in Zimbabwe or Mozambique might be a few dollars per day, while in Alaska it is a few hundred dollars per day !
And as many have pointed out, the game populations in regions of Africa are as dense as the best whitetail deer areas and are simply staggering to Alaskans.

And when lower 48 hunters, who have also hunted SOuth African game ranches, ask me why they should hunt in Alaska because things are much cheaper in "Africa" I tell them, because there are no big bears or moose or Dall sheep in Africa.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Unless you are hunting the CAR or Congo you are not likely to find as much true, uninhabited wilderness as you can in Canada or Alaska.
A livable wage for camp help in Zimbabwe or Mozambique might be a few dollars per day, while in Alaska it is a few hundred dollars per day !
And as many have pointed out, the game populations in regions of Africa are as dense as the best whitetail deer areas and are simply staggering to Alaskans.

And when lower 48 hunters, who have also hunted SOuth African game ranches, ask me why they should hunt in Alaska because things are much cheaper in "Africa" I tell them, because there are no big bears or moose or Dall sheep in Africa.

Whether a sportsman or no, there's so much to see or experience here. One can see and sort of participate in a salmon run. Experience Mt Mckinley. Get on your hands and knees and eyeball some tundra Aldo Leopold style. Sit under a goose or crane migration, see a moose give birth to a calf.
I sat 400 yards away and watch a bear stalk and jump a small caribou.

I think everyone should experience AK.

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Whether a sportsman or no, there's so much to see or experience here. One can see and sort of participate in a salmon run. Experience Mt Mckinley. Get on your hands and knees and eyeball some tundra Aldo Leopold style. Sit under a goose or crane migration, see a moose give birth to a calf.
I sat 400 yards away and watch a bear stalk and jump a small caribou.

I think everyone should experience AK.

I agree and I spoke to Phil about going to his place for some fishing and seeing the bears. I may only deer hunt Alaska.

There are some good guys in Alaska - One just needs to do research and always pay top dollar in Alaska. There are no cheap good hunts in Alaska. Best to follow ar member recommendations. Free extra days and comeback next year if unsuccessful should be warning signs.

I have hunted with the worst - Tom Shankster - just google him.

It’s all wild game and most of its upkeep is via public funds and licenses. Can’t compare the high cost game management in the save or bubye to Alaska wilderness hunting.

One of the issues on the hunt was at $1k a day for Alaska Hunt where outfitter is hunting on public lands and client has bought tags and there is no damn food. A trip to Costco stock up and $10-$20 in food a day is not asking that much. I am bitter as the only place and time I have ever starved in my life has been on a $1k a day Alaskan hunt. At least there was free clean stream water.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The North American hunting anthem: "You should have been here last week/month/year". Always sung at the end of the hunt. Upfront, the videos show hunters "whacking and stacking" to quote Uncle Ted. I have never seen a video or a website where the outfitter says "you many not even see a moose/bear/whatever, let alone shoot one".

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only African hunt that compares with Alaska is hunting in Tanzania (Selous, Kigosi, etc). A ranch hunt in RSA is something I have never done, and have no plans of doing. I have hunted plains game in Namibia and do not regret the experience; back then, I wanted to shoot stuff. Now, I get more satisfaction hitting within 5 inches of my POA at 800 yards or shooting a sub-moa group sitting with a sling than I do shooting another impala.

Yea, weather can suck in Alaska and BC/Yukon. I once waited five days to fly out on a moose hunt in BC. When I finally got out and hunted on day 6 we called in three bulls on the first day and I killed the best one in camp that year. One of my favorite memories of that hunt is humping the meat back and falling in the river we had to cross with a load of meat. Later on, after the moon came out we took a break on a hill and my guide and I were enveloped in fog from our sweat.

Alaska is a different kind of adventure, just like a packstring elk hunt is different than either Alaska or Africa. Part of the lure of Alaska for me is the challenge - an average bull moose or brown bear is certainly a better trophy than an average buffalo. Now you want to talk cats, well that is a different story...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
The North American hunting anthem: "You should have been here last week/month/year". Always sung at the end of the hunt. Upfront, the videos show hunters "whacking and stacking" to quote Uncle Ted. I have never seen a video or a website where the outfitter says "you many not even see a moose/bear/whatever, let alone shoot one".

Actually, I have only had one Alaska hunt with a guide (done a lot DIY) where I didn't have an "opportunity." I hunted Kodiak on a registration hunt; never saw a bear and would never recommend anyone do that. I booked it solely because a hunting buddy highly recommended the hunt; the guide had a access to a chunk of public land that was "landlocked" by private. The guide busted his butt; we just didn't see any bears.

In fact, thinking about it, I can think of only one other hunt where I hired a guide and never saw an animal - a mule deer hunt that due to my schedule was quite short. In that case, I don't think the guy really knew what he was doing, but then again, if I did, I wouldn't have hired the guide, so who knows?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote