Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Chete now!! 2019 UPDATE!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Zambians are a common denominator when it comes to poachers, whether it is fish poachers( netters) in Namibia (the Caprivi) or elephant poachers in Zim. Too bad the Zam government ignores the problem. Good luck, Sean, with your endeavors.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why I am involved myself, there is a host of reasons why not to run a business in Zim a couple of which you pointed out. Then there is the simple fact that we here on AR are all a dying breed. I have over 40,000 acres of gorgeous Nebraska Sandhills property where I run my Mule Deer and Whitetail hunts (ScottOutdoors.com) and I have 2 adult sons that wont get out of the house or bed to go hunting. It is not the way they were raised I took them hunting all the time they just don't care and it is NO LONGER the social norm in our country. We will be fortunate to have hunting ANYWHERE in 2 decades. When I told my sons I was going to sell this whole dog and pony show to the first interested party they seemed upset but bottom line neither have the skills or experience to run any of my businesses and show no inclination to get off the Xbox to prove me wrong (they are both adult men). I was speaking with my wife about the why of this and why I put myself out there to be bashed and insulted plus risk lots of $$ at least for me in order to see this through and the why is my friends in Zim and ALL of the dozens of people that without me are UNEMPLOYED. Once you get involved unless you have no conscious you see the impact that you make and what happens if you quit. Between Zim and Namibia there are about 75 employees and I am guessing about 500 dependents ALL relying on me. If anyone reading this thinks I am getting wealthy out of this business think again it is in fact a foolish way to try to make money. In most of these post I have avoided mentioning HHK not for legal reasons but out of respect and empathy for them. I am genuinely sorry it all caved in on them, the folks affected by the loss of their reputation and livelihood cant sign up for unemployment or welfare they are just SOL. I know they didn't purposely set out to fail it just happened for a host of reasons. Lou is a good example I am sure he was NOT planning on being a PH busting his ass in the 110 degree heat at 74 years old. Aside from liking Lou I feel for him and if he doesn't have work of his own he ALWAYS has the first crack at hunts I have going. I haven't known Lou very long in the grand scheme of things but it is obvious he had a different plan when they formed HHK not starting over at age 70 plus....

SAFARISEAN

Posts: 180 | Location: KC MO> | Registered: 31 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Zambians are a common denominator when it comes to poachers, whether it is fish poachers( netters) in Namibia (the Caprivi) or elephant poachers in Zim. Too bad the Zam government ignores the problem. Good luck, Sean, with your endeavors.
Thank You very much!!!

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
The pictures below are of a fish poaching camp raided by Lou Hallamore and myself last season. The first picture is a label from a bag of good ole USA corn. They had sunk their boats trying to hide.

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Sean,

Good luck with the new endeavor. When wildlife is given a chance it is amazing how quickly it can return.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Zimbabwe, in order to qualify as an "indigenous" partner, you have to be black and 90% of the time you are expected to partner with a high ranking official, or someone related to one. So Wayne does not count. And in order to operate a hunting business in Zimbabwe, you have to have an indigenous partner. So again, I have to raise my eyebrows. It's possible you have pulled off multiple exceptions to normal practices and procedures in which case my hat is off to you.

When you come on this forum to sell your hunts, you are subject to scrutiny from the members. Some of us are "Farmers" ... we know a thing or two.

I have spent a lot of time in Zim and know many of the players including many of the HHK folks. The problem with HHK is the prices went up while their attention to detail, as well as many of their areas, went downhill. They treated one of my clients like he was a nuisance and that was the last straw for me. It did not help that Zim Parks and the Zim Govt made every operator's life more difficult when it came to quotas and especially the requirement that one has to have an indigenous partner. Many of the readers on this forum are familiar with the situation in Zim.

I don't think I ever met your late father although I did buy a gun or two from him long distance and found him AOK; and I think I have had 20 seconds interaction with that other fellow you mention at a show in Las Vegas if I recall, about 13 years ago. I have never bought anything from him or sold anything to him and have nothing to say about him. I have never met you, pretty sure of that, and probably never will.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The way I understand it, one has to have an indiginous partner chosen for him, as mentioned above.

Picking your own partner does not work.

Now you got the area, regardless how, I hope you can make a success of it.

We have many fond memories of Chete.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Good Luck Sean! A good idea in the beginning could be "group hunts" similar that Andrew does in Zambia.

All the best

Anton

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
In Zimbabwe, in order to qualify as an "indigenous" partner, you have to be black and 90% of the time you are expected to partner with a high ranking official, or someone related to one. So Wayne does not count. And in order to operate a hunting business in Zimbabwe, you have to have an indigenous partner. So again, I have to raise my eyebrows. It's possible you have pulled off multiple exceptions to normal practices and procedures in which case my hat is off to you.

When you come on this forum to sell your hunts, you are subject to scrutiny from the members. Some of us are "Farmers" ... we know a thing or two.

I have spent a lot of time in Zim and know many of the players including many of the HHK folks. The problem with HHK is the prices went up while their attention to detail, as well as many of their areas, went downhill. They treated one of my clients like he was a nuisance and that was the last straw for me. It did not help that Zim Parks and the Zim Govt made every operator's life more difficult when it came to quotas and especially the requirement that one has to have an indigenous partner. Many of the readers on this forum are familiar with the situation in Zim.

I don't think I ever met your late father although I did buy a gun or two from him long distance and found him AOK; and I think I have had 20 seconds interaction with that other fellow you mention at a show in Las Vegas if I recall, about 13 years ago. I have never bought anything from him or sold anything to him and have nothing to say about him. I have never met you, pretty sure of that, and probably never will.
First you obviously don't know much about Zim ANY PH currently operating in Zim knows Wayne is 100% indigenous so wrong again pal. Wayne is half caste if you like or really need a label as some folks do. He is married to a vary nice Shona lady that is one of my favorite people on the planet and they have 2 of the most gorgeous children I have ever seen. Wayne was introduced to me by Russell Caldecott who is as progressive as I. At Otjiwa in Namibia we have ALL Ovamba PH's they are honest , fantastic hunters and they don't start their own companies after stealing your mailing list!! IF you doubt about Wayne status my word ask either Hallamore, Mike Blignaut, Heath Jardine, Brian Setzer, Wayne is known to many there. My family has been involved with hunting in Zim/Rhodesia since 1967 when Thad made his first trip.

Your memory is apparently failing I was carrying an arm full of guns at the Bienfield Vegas Show walking with Steve when I met YOU about a decade ago. I have an excellent almost photographic memory and if I am not wrong you are of medium build (maybe 5 10?) and had a salt and pepper beard?? Maybe I am thinking of someone else but I seldom forget a name. You may think because Thad was my father that I was a golden spoon child but I never lived at home after age 15. I lived and worked on my grandfathers farm until I joined a local skilled labor union in 1993 (IUOE Local101) and everything I have managed to do I have done out of my own pocket and with HARD work. I was in Zim in the late 90's and early part of the 21st century when things were BAD really BAD. I watched Jannie Meyer lose all of Eaglemont to the Zanu PF and was hunting there when they were bussing in squatters. So yeah I understand why some operators and farmers in Zim are very angry but look at African history such as the Congo or even Mozambique things could have been MUCH worse every white in the country could have woken up with their heads cut off as happened in so many colonial counties. I know it is tough thing to lose your land and living but the time has come to move on Zimbabwe will never be run by 1% of the population again, good or bad that time has gone.

Tomorrow Wayne is meeting with the head of Parks for the Binga Area and the WWF. They are GIVING us to use a brand new motor grader that the WWF donated to ZPWMA so we can restore the roads and further WWF is matching our outlay for patrol boats so we can get a handle on the Zambians. In closing I am putting myself up here for all to scrutinize and fully accept that but decent folks ask questions and make their own judgments as civil people do, not make baseless accusations or claims of deceit and lying. I will be putting up PHOTOS of tomorrows meeting and have made certain WAYNE is taking pictures of all parties involved and the location but anyone that has been to Chete can see the pics I posted from October 19th are of Chete Camp. Hopefully that will put an end to these false accusations this is what it is and however it came about I am working with and for JIMBA!!!

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First you obviously don't know much about Zim

If you do a search of Russ’s posts you will come to the realization that he does not know much about anything Africa, but that does not stop his fabrications. I suggest not dignifying his posts with a response. Best of luck with your venture!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread and the links for an example od Russ’s intimate knowledge of Africa and his propensity for duplicity.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8041078691/p/1

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Lhook7 I was born and bred in Africa so I "know a thing or two". Doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about Zim, or every PH in Zim. But I know more than most. When I see something that doesn't look right I call it out. This is one of the functions of a forum such as this. If that makes me unpopular with one or two people, so be it. Hopefully the less-informed, about to part with their money, will appreciate my words of caution.

I don't have any conflict of interest when it comes to Zim. Can you say the same LHook7 whoever you are? What dog, exactly, do you have in the fight? On the contrary, I have sent a good number of clients to Zimbabwe over the years, preferring that country to others. But recently I have to say Zim has been iffy. I cut my ties with HHK about 3 years ago when the wheels started to come off that bus. Meanwhile I am also hunting South Africa, where prices are still very reasonable. You can do a buffalo hunt for $8K in RSA, half the price of Zim. Sable for $4K.

You, Lhook7, on the other hand obviously don't have a life. Nor do you have a point. The ancient thread you resuscitated proves nothing other than your membership of the chimp club. Duplicitous? Really? Facts proved the rumor to have no basis but not all rumors pan out. I stated upfront it was a rumor. And I provided my sources. Straightforward. Understandably, this upset some folks in the booking and guiding business but I have to consider the interests of the chumps.

Russell Caldecott was a friend of mine but I never met Wayne. If Wayne is half caste that is an interesting twist that I had not considered. I have to say he looks as white as any "colonial". If he is married to a Shona woman, that may tip the odds in his favor, especially if she is connected. I have seen that before, although the gent was an Afrikaner, his lady was related to a high ranking Zim official, and the two of them were as crooked as the river by the same name.

Sean, I don't remember you at all but that's neither here nor there. Your recollection sounds correct. If you are legit, as I said, I take my hat off to you. Time will tell.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SafariSean:
Mike Blignaut PH one of the finest young hunters I have met in some time!! He can be reached at Mike@TheSafariConnection.com

Mike used to be the camp manager at the river camp in the Omay for Martin. He's a nice guy and crazy about fishing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually Lhook7 I was born and bred in Africa so I "know a thing or two". Doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about Zim, or every PH in Zim. But I know more than most. When I see something that doesn't look right I call it out. This is one of the functions of a forum such as this. If that makes me unpopular with one or two people, so be it. Hopefully the less-informed, about to part with their money, will appreciate my words of caution.

I don't have any conflict of interest when it comes to Zim. Can you say the same LHook7 whoever you are? What dog, exactly, do you have in the fight? On the contrary, I have sent a good number of clients to Zimbabwe over the years, preferring that country to others. But recently I have to say Zim has been iffy. I cut my ties with HHK about 3 years ago when the wheels started to come off that bus. Meanwhile I am also hunting South Africa, where prices are still very reasonable. You can do a buffalo hunt for $8K in RSA, half the price of Zim. Sable for $4K.

You, Lhook7, on the other hand obviously don't have a life. Nor do you have a point. The ancient thread you resuscitated proves nothing other than your membership of the chimp club. Duplicitous? Really? Facts proved the rumor to have no basis but not all rumors pan out. I stated upfront it was a rumor. And I provided my sources. Straightforward. Understandably, this upset some folks in the booking and guiding business but I have to consider the interests of the chumps.

Russell Caldecott was a friend of mine but I never met Wayne. If Wayne is half caste that is an interesting twist that I had not considered. I have to say he looks as white as any "colonial". If he is married to a Shona woman, that may tip the odds in his favor, especially if she is connected. I have seen that before, although the gent was an Afrikaner, his lady was related to a high ranking Zim official, and the two of them were as crooked as the river by the same name.

Sean, I don't remember you at all but that's neither here nor there. Your recollection sounds correct. If you are legit, as I said, I take my hat off to you. Time will tell.

Russ,

I'm not sure if you are lying or just stupid. According to your website you are booking for HHK in 2017.
I wish I could take credit for this, but another member actually sent me this information by PM.

EDITED TO RESIZE PICTURES

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
shocker

quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

I'm not sure if you are lying or just stupid.

Those terms are not mutually exclusive, it could be and, not or.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Man, talk about putting your foot in your mouth.. popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
shocker

quote:

I'm not sure if you are lying or just stupid.

Those terms are not mutually exclusive, it could be and, not or.

I agree. He is definitely both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Mike Blignaut PH one of the finest young hunters I have met in some time!! He can be reached at Mike@TheSafariConnection.com

Mike used to be the camp manager at the river camp in the Omay for Martin. He's a nice guy and crazy about fishing.
Frank I am bringing Mike over he will walk the SCI Show then come to KC and do several other sport shows here in the Midwest and west. Mike is great guy and a superb PH, he has been 110% effective for us in the field and we are proud to list him as one of our STAFF professional hunters!!

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Mike in 2014 when I hunted in the Omay. We were in the same camp for several days. He does indeed love his fishing and he is a riot around camp. I cannot speak for his abilities as a PH as I did not hunt with him . Nice guy though.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Russ,

I'm not sure if you are lying or just stupid. According to your website you are booking for HHK in 2017.
I wish I could take credit for this, but another member actually sent me this information by PM.

EDITED TO RESIZE PICTURES
This image is from August, I didn't want to seem to be gloating or in any way disrespectful to the individuals involved at HHK. I am posting it now as verification that HHK no longer has ANY ties to Chete . Additionally yes we did acquire both Sijarira and Chete after HHK defaulted on the lease payment. Nothing malicious just coincidence Wayne actually tried to purchase the contents and lease for Sij from HHK prior to the default but they were a little off in the estimated value by about $100K.

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The silence from Russ is deafening rotflmo
It must hurt when your own words come back and bite you in the ass....

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I also met Mike at the Ume camp in 2014. He took good care of my wife and kids when I was out chasing buffalo with Dalton Tink. I never got on the sticks for a buff that trip, but that is another story. My kids caught some huge Vundu Catfish with him. I can't comment on his hunting abilities, but he was great with my family and that goes a long way.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 235 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frank I am bringing Mike over he will walk the SCI Show then come to KC and do several other sport shows here in the Midwest and west. Mike is great guy and a superb PH, he has been 110% effective for us in the field and we are proud to list him as one of our STAFF professional hunters!!

Tell him, I said "Hi", I spent most of a week fishing with him after I got my bull in 2011 with Pierre Hundermaark.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, looking at the pictures of the camp on this thread reminds me of my safari with HHK in the Sengwa Research Area in 2010. The camp was severely run down, no food and not much game. Upon arrival at camp, Graham "sandwiched two of his buddies from South Africa who were hunting elephant in before me and they were still there in camp. I was there to hunt elephant also. We had to travel in the night to Chrisa (which was shut down) just to have a place to sleep. I think that the trip was about 30 km from Sengwa Research Area. I lost a day of hunting because of having to go to Chrisa. Graham's buddies got two elephants in the 50 lb class. I shot the only bull elephant left and he was 37 and 35 lbs. We hunted for ten days and the bull I shot was the only one we saw. Saw a lot of cows and calves but no bulls.
Had it not been for Brent Hein being my PH this safari would have been a complete disaster.
You know, one of the best safaris I have had was in Chrisa in 1999 and I met Brent Hein there as my PH and HHK had Chrisa then. What a difference 10 years make. After my Chrisa safari when anyone asked who to hunt with I always said HHK with no reservation. Right now, I will say, "the only reason you run from HHK is that you cannot fly".

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Limpopo Big Game Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
Right now, I will say, "the only reason you run from HHK is that you cannot fly".

Posts: 603 | Location: South Africa Limpopo | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Limpopo Big Game Safaris:
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
Right now, I will say, "the only reason you run from HHK is that you cannot fly".

Please remember we are NOT in any way affiliated with HHK!!LOL!! TheSafariConnection.com

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oops....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that everything is verified and proven including the WWF mentioning our efforts things may be as stated LOL

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I would go sit at the knee of the Duckworth's and try ti mimic what they have done with Sengwa. It will be a long haul for you.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any area / block in Africa that hasn't been hunted for 5 years is a MAJOR problem, especially in Zim. Good luck!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Any area / block in Africa that hasn't been hunted for 5 years is a MAJOR problem, especially in Zim. Good luck!!

But would be a worse problem if it weren't hunted for a sixth year, no? So let's support the man's efforts!

Posts: 147 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that unattended for 5 years has negative implications but one thing about Chete is that compared with the north valley the local population is less than many of the communal areas around Chewore, Dande,ect so what we ate facing is not thousands of snares and constant pressure for the local population like those areas. Our issue is Zambia and the wild west crazyness that goes on in that country. Most of what we have is fish poaching and all game snaring along the lake. Buffalo, elephant, hippo,croc,ect have been relatively unaffected after all what you going to do with a 1600 pound buffalo in your snare??? Not much I think. You can slam us as much as you want but we are going to do our 100% best to make Chete a fantastic place to hunt again. And when we ate done I personally promise all interested camp will be 2nd to none and you will get more bang for your buck that anyone else in Zim can offer!! Just try me I am a man of my word and stans behind those word with my pocket book. . Guaranteed. ...

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no doubt that unattended for 5 years has negative implications but one thing about Chete is that compared with the north valley the local population is less than many of the communal areas around Chewore, Dande,ect so what we are facing is not thousands of snares and constant pressure from the local population like those areas. Our issue is Zambia and the wild west crazyness that goes on in that country. Most of what we have is fish poaching and small game snaring along the lake. Buffalo, elephant, hippo,croc,ect have been relatively unaffected after all what you going to do with a 1600 pound buffalo in your snare??? Not much I think. You can slam us as much as you want but we are going to do our 100% best to make Chete a fantastic place to hunt again. And when we are done I personally promise all interested camp will be 2nd to none and you will get more bang for your buck that anyone else in Zim can offer!! Just try me I am a man of my word and stand behind those word with my pocket book. . Guaranteed. ...

SAFARISEAN

One of Us
Picture of David_B
posted Hide Post
What is the status of Chete as of 2019? Is the camp rebuilt, are there camp photos, hunt photos, hunt reports, etc. from 2018 that can be shared?

Posts: 62 | Location: VA | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the status of Chete as of 2019? Is the camp rebuilt, are there camp photos, hunt photos, hunt reports, etc. from 2018 that can be shared?

Ask Jdollar, he is obviously so smart he knows everything.

And yes, the silence is deafening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Camp is 100% better than ever before. Almost all quota sold 3 buffalo left and a small amount of hippo,croc ect I simply got tired of being beat down about Jimba here I am 100% honest and back all hunts with my word which is good as gold. Email me if you want pics and information

SAFARISEAN

posted Hide Post
Sean,

Thanks for the update. I have to say everyone I know who has hunted with you has nothing but good things to say. Best of luck with the upcoming season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sean... buddy...I would say most everyone here would much appreciate positive news coming from your efforts and positive news from Chete

This thread brought up these memories and Russ decided to be negative two years later...

So, hopefully..from 2017-2019 there were positive improvements (I would assume there were) I haven't seen you on here in quite a while so give us an update

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are all very happy to hear of an area being kept in good conditions.

And who brought it up.

We also like to remind prospective hunters to avoid those who run concessions to the ground to make a quick buck.

Glad to hear you are doing well in Chete.

Posting some hunt reports would go a long way to proving that and put you a long way from the previous owners.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am at MDF Western Sport Show this weekend but will post pictures and a complete report Tuesday. Thanks for the kind comments SS

SAFARISEAN