Find
Notify
Tools

Summer time pig hunts, north Texas.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
I am offering the following hunt, May thru August of 2014.

We can handle from 1 to 4 hunters, with 4 being the maximum on any hunt.

Hunts can be arranged for weekdays or weekends. These are guided hunts, lodging and transportation during hunt, along with field care and handling of pigs killed (quartering of carcasses for transportation) is included in hunt price.

Price is $75.00 for a one day/one pig any size hunt. Additional days can be arranged @ $50.00 per day/per person. Additional hogs, any size are $25.00 each.

Coyotes can be shot at no charge. Hunts are conducted on 3K+ acres in Archer & Young counties in north Texas, approximately 50 miles south of Wichita Falls/100 miles west of Fort Worth.

Hunters are responsible for their own meals/shacks. Olney is the closest town and is basically centered in the area where the hunts will take place.

The cabin has a complete kitchen set up, range/micro-wave/refrigerator/cook ware/dishes and flat ware. The cabin does not have running water, but we do provide both drinking and washing water and there is a potable toilet at the cabin. We furnish cots and pillows and there is also a fold out couch with bedding. Cabin is air conditioned.

Hunting will be done from 6 AM until 9 AM, and then from 4 PM until ? From about 10 AM till 3 PM we will take a mid-day break.

I make no guarantees on these hunts. All hunts are done on low fenced properties and I have No control over pig movement, time wise or location. I will do everything possible to set hunters up at the most active locations. But animal movement of any kind on low fenced properties is erratic at the minimum.

For more information or to book a hunt contact me @ rl92@brazosnet.com or at 682-365-3217 or by pm on AR.

If you call my cell phone and I do not answer, leave a message about what you are interested in and I will return your call.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Wish I was living a bit closer CHC
Maybe I will bite the bullet and then we can go about politics. Love it. Totally goes with hunting.
Milan.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CHC

Is there any advantage in your mind to hunt either early or late in your four month window?

Does moon phase up the odds any?

My brother and his son were interested a few years ago in hunting hogs in Texas. I'll check back and see if there is still any interest.

My guess is they might be interested in a Sat/Sun hunt, or three day weekend.

Posts: 13804 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The moon phase can play a role, but hunting/trapping pressure on surrounding properties seems to play a larger role.

As the day time temps get hotter, the pigs tend to move at or just after sundown and during the night. If we get some rain and the temperature cools down a little they can and will feed early of a morning, sometimes up until noon. We keep our feeders running year round and hogs do come into them, I just can not predict the time they will come in or just exactly which feeder they will come into. That is the big problem with hunting free range hogs.

We have hogs come into a feeder 4 or 5 days in a row and then they disappear for a week or more. It gets frustrating, because I really do like seeing clients kill game, but with as much area as these pigs have to range over, I have hunters come out and not see anything and others that kill a pig in the first hour of being in the stand.

The reason I do not guarantee these hunts is simply because no matter how hard I try, I can not always get my clients on to game.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the results from the hunt that I did on Saturday evening and Sunday morning for two guys of the DFW area. The first pig was killed at one of the feeders about 8:30 Saturday night. It weighed in at 175 pounds live weight.

The second pig was killed about 9:30 Sunday morning. The 4 piglets(shocker) in the picture with it had been picked up while driving thru one of the pastures looking for pigs moving, the clients had nothing to do with the apprehension of those 4 critters, it was a wanton act on my part.

We had been in the pasture where the bunnies were taken, but as we left, one of the hunters spotted the pig coming out of an adjoining wheat field and moving on to the property we had been hunting, the same property where pig number one was killed the evening before. We were on the county road so as soon as I was sure the pig had crossed the fence, I found a spot and turned around and drove back to the gate and onto our place.

We drove down to one of the wheat fields on that place, as I was expecting the pig to go to one of our feeders that is in the edge of that field.

It had not showed up so I decided that we would try to do a little spot and stalk. We parked and headed in the direction where we saw the pig cross the fence. It had crossed on the north end of a small thicket of hackberry trees that is growing along the fence. The wind was blowing between 5 and 10 mph. right into our faces. I eased up on the thicket, thinking that the pig might have bedded down in it. It hadn't, but we had not seen it cross the field we were in and there were patches of grass and weeds along the fence, so with the wind in our favor I decided we should ease on along the fence line.

About 30, maybe 40 yards south of the trees there was a fairly good sized patch of tall grass. When I got within 8 to 10 yards of the grass I noticed that grass toward the middle of the patch appeared bent over. The shooter was off to my right a few yards away and a couple of yards ahead.

About the time I noticed the bent over grass I caught a glimpse of something black and the then pig took off for about 15 yards or so and stopped. The hunter took a shot and the pig took off. It had made it about 4 or 5 yards when the hunter fired again. I had not noticed any sign that the animal was it when it entered some brush. The second hunter thought he saw the animal stumble after the second shot so we went looking and about 60 yards from first contact we found pig girl piled up. She weighed in at 110 pounds live weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any prairie dogs to be had locally?

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, not any that could be hunted. There is a small colony over in the town of Newcastle, but I don't think folks over there would be real keen on someone shooting at p.dogs in amongst their houses. A guy that lived there a few years back was keeping a few as pets and they got out and have expanded from his property over on to the property around a couple of homes and a church.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife was whining about cabin fever, so I booked a couple days of pig hunting with CHC this week...

We got down there on Tuesday afternoon, and by 6pm we were in the blind watching a couple of feeders that the hogs had been using...we stayed until past dark but nothing but lots of deer had come into the feeders...

When we got out of the stand Randall said he wanted to look at a feeder on the other end of the property to see if the hogs had been using it... We drove over there, and when we rounded the corner and the headlights hit the feeder we could see 2 hogs under the feeder... As soon as Randal got the truck stopped one of them bolted... I got out and managed to get a shot off at the second one before he made his exit...

The hog showed no sign of being hit, but I felt good about the shot. We checked for blood, and there wasn't a drop where he had been standing, but when I shined my headlight into the woods where he ran it looked like a blood bath! Big Grin

He didn't go far....about 40yds.

It was a young boar.. Randall guessed it at 140lbs, I guessed at 150lbs... After we wrestled it up into the truck, Randall allowed that he may have guessed low! When we got it on the scale...it read 162lbs live weight...

We hunted 2 mornings and 2 evenings. Saw one other hog but it was on a neighboring property about 500yds from our blind...he never came to call...

We had a great time hunting with Randall, saw loads of deer and turkey, and will do it again, but will pick a time when it is not quite so hot!!

Took care of my wife's cabin fever...too!
Thanks for a great time Randall!

Z

Posts: 502 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for coming down, I had a great time hunting with you.

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
RW, Good to see you are still above ground, and pounding the piggies out at the cabin. Tell Laura I said hello.

Been a while since I was on AR, but I knew I could find you in Outfitters.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hearing from you Ron. We are working on getting ready for dove season and all the rest.