Find
Notify
Tools

**Scimitar Horned Oryx specials**
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
As many of you already know, USFWS has released new regulations for Scimitar Horned Oryx, Addax, and Dama Gazelle....which will require a CITES permit for hunting after April 4, 2012. The permitting process has proven to be a monumental pain for landowners who already raise CITES animals such as Barasingha, Arabian Oryx, Red Lechwe, and Eld's Deer.

As a result, many ranchers are liquidating their herds of these animals. It is unfortunate, but hunting (whether you like it or not) has become a business....and these animals being sold off is a direct result of the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.....and messing with a proven management system that has worked for decades with these animals.

In any case, if you would like to hunt Scimitar Horned Oryx....there has never been a better time. It is a buyer's market.

I have the following prices to offer on Oryx hunts...

Daily Fees:

$100/day (no meals or lodging)
$150/day "all-inclusive" (meals and lodging included)

Trophy Fees:

Meat Oryx (broken horn or younger animals) - $850
Mature Cow Oryx (average 34"-38"....over 40" possible) - $1,350
Mature Bull Oryx (up to 40") - $1,450
Mature Bull Oryx (over 40"....limited availability) - $1,950

Hunts will take place near Blanco, TX. $500 deposit required to book.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How big is the hunting area?

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARees:

300 acres

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the 'daily fees' for?

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
What are the 'daily fees' for?

Guide fee

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Wade:

You have any place for an addax, oryx, dama combo?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Wade:

Same question as Will.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wade:

quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
quote:
Wade:

Same question as Will.

Working on it....waiting to get some details from one of my ranches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a figure on how many of these animals there were last year as oposed to how many will be left after everyone liquidates their herds in this maner?

It was clear that with no economic value everyone was going to get rid of them....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:
Does anyone have a figure on how many of these animals there were last year as oposed to how many will be left after everyone liquidates their herds in this maner?

It was clear that with no economic value everyone was going to get rid of them....

I don't have any concrete figures....but my gut tells me that by the time April 4th gets here, at least 2/3 of all the Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas will have been killed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have any concrete figures....but my gut tells me that by the time April 4th gets here, at least 2/3 of all the Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas will have been killed.

And according to "activists" this will be our fault ....

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:

I wrote an email to "The Friends of Animals" or whatever their name is a few months ago. The ones who filed suit against USF&W Service to remove the loophole that allowed the hunting of these animals.

I explained that there would be a long period of time between "Case won!" and "Rule implemented". That before these animals turn from "asset" to "Liability" they will be liquidated. Eliminating so many years of work to conserve, and expand these herds.

I told them, "Congratulations on destroying the very thing you were attempting to preserve."

Damn liberals have no sense in their head.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I am against hunting them. I'm all for it!

Do it while you can! There will be some left, supply will be limited, demand will remain, but I wonder what cost the ranchers will have to put out to remain consistent with the new laws of owning, transporting, selling and hunting these animals.

They will only get more expensive after the rule goes into effect and the dust all settles and the ranchers have an idea of what they are up against to own and raise these animals.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told them, "Congratulations on destroying the very thing you were attempting to preserve."

Damn liberals have no sense in their head.

Well said Wendell! They are the damnation of not only the USA but Earth in general. Giving you a call, we're still wanting to come out.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:

300 acres

So that is less than 2 quarter sections of land. How many are there living on this small piece? I can't imagine there would be all that many? They sure are nice looking animals. I would hate to see their numbers go down with all of the changes.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
quote:
quote:

300 acres

So that is less than 2 quarter sections of land. How many are there living on this small piece? I can't imagine there would be all that many? They sure are nice looking animals. I would hate to see their numbers go down with all of the changes.

Yes, I understand it is a relatively small area. I believe there are around 20 or so Oryx on this property.

Unfortunately, overall numbers (and genetic diversity) will be drastically reduced due to these absurd new regulations. At the beginning of the lawsuit filed by "Friends of Animals" (roughly 2 years ago)....the Exotic Wildlife Association conducted a survey of its members. From this survey, it was estimated that there were around 11,000 Scimitar Horned Oryx in the U.S. on private ranches. There have already been thousands of Oryx killed in anticipation of the new regulations, and now that the official regulations have been released....even more will be killed.

By the time April 4th gets here....I would venture to guess that somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 Oryx will have been killed because of the new regulations. All this is a direct result of our government's ignorance, as well as the stupidity of organizations like PETA, HSUS, and "Friends of Animals".

However, the bottom line is this....those organizations listed above do not give a shit about the Oryx (or any animals for that matter). They have exactly two parts to their agenda: 1) raising money by mis-leading the public, and 2) STOPPING HUNTING ALTOGETHER (this is simply the beginning)

It's really that simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade, curious how long you have been hunting and raising exotics professionally? Also would like to know where you get the 5-8K animals will be killed off numbers? At this stage of the regulations you should be VERY careful about spouting numbers off the top of your head. You can be doing more harm than good with your speculation.
We all know this regulation is not good for the long term survival of these species and we all agree the anti hunting group doesn't care. Throwing a fit and speculating numbers on the internet does not help the cause although it might help your business. I'd suggest you use more caution in the future.
FYI, the next three animals on the hit list are axis, aoudads and blackbucks so if you think the last three animals got some attention the next round could very well be a disaster.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
Wade, curious how long you have been hunting and raising exotics professionally? Also would like to know where you get the 5-8K animals will be killed off numbers? At this stage of the regulations you should be VERY careful about spouting numbers off the top of your head. You can be doing more harm than good with your speculation.
We all know this regulation is not good for the long term survival of these species and we all agree the anti hunting group doesn't care. Throwing a fit and speculating numbers on the internet does not help the cause although it might help your business. I'd suggest you use more caution in the future.
FYI, the next three animals on the hit list are axis, aoudads and blackbucks so if you think the last three animals got some attention the next round could very well be a disaster.

Well, I've only been in the business "professionally" for about a year (since I formed my LLC).

I am not throwing a fit....I am just trying to raise awareness of what is going on. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish by telling me to "be careful about spouting off numbers". I do not have any concrete evidence to support my "5k-8k" number....but I do have the agreement on that number from several very well-known people in the industry. They agree that Oryx numbers are expected to decrease by 50%-75% before the deadline in April.

There is no way to know the exact figures until the next census is conducted....

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, the bottom line is this....those organizations listed above do not give a shit about the Oryx (or any animals for that matter). They have exactly two parts to their agenda: 1) raising money by mis-leading the public, and 2) STOPPING HUNTING ALTOGETHER (this is simply the beginning)

It's really that simple.

Well said Wade; right or wrong on numbers. It's because we sat with our thumbs up our ass and didn't throw a fit that this law is here. The anti's throw a fit everyday and we're losing the battle. Time to throw a fit is past. It's time to pitch a BITCH! If we stand for nothing, we fall for anything.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:

Well, I've only been in the business "professionally" for about a year (since I formed my LLC).

I am not throwing a fit....I am just trying to raise awareness of what is going on. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish by telling me to "be careful about spouting off numbers". I do not have any concrete evidence to support my "5k-8k" number....but I do have the agreement on that number from several very well-known people in the industry. They agree that Oryx numbers are expected to decrease by 50%-75% before the deadline in April.

There is no way to know the exact figures until the next census is conducted....

Sevenmag...you are completely right...making statements about How many are going to be killed in the next few months isn't very smart.

Eland Slayer- I've been on this sight for a while, and I've read many of your posts...and know that you just started your Booking Agency for exotic trophy hunting in texas within the last year or so. Congrats on starting a business...that takes courage and smarts to make it work. Very proud of you for that, we need more Americans like you! Now...your claim that 5k oryx will be shot in the next 10 weeks is "JUST INSANE!" Think about that...that would be 500 a week! Now, I've hunted extensively here in Texas and in Africa, and work/know many people here in Texas that raise/own ranches with exotic game...including my best friend, whom I regularly help manage, trap/transport, etc...exotics.

Now, from what I've read on here...I don't believe you raise exotics...merely book hunts? Am I correct?

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THERE ARE 500-800 a week being shot? I can tell you the hunting market isn't that strong...the truth about these species is simple...yes there will be many people who stop having these animals on their ranch. But there are plenty who are going to be more than willing to sign up for the permitting process.

I think sevenmags intentions were to keep you from looking uneducated. Again not a personal attack...but you're talking 70-120 oryx a day!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the regulations for an non-resident to transport meat and horns of an oryx out of Texas?

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
You would have to check with your local game department, but I have never heard any issues transporting exotics out of Texas. Tons of out of state hunters do it every year.

'Course, I have been wrong before. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At this stage of the regulations you should be VERY careful about spouting numbers off the top of your head. You can be doing more harm than good with your speculation.

Please explain your logic for that rant. Why should he be "more careful" in the future? How can that be harmful? Why should he use more caution in the future? He's not allowed to speculate on outcomes like the rest of us?
How does his speculating "hurt the cause"? What cause?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think sevenmags intentions were to keep you from looking uneducated. Again not a personal attack...but you're talking 70-120 oryx a day!

Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not happening???

Yes, the hunting market as a whole is a little slowm but with the prices, and nothing against Wade, but a bunch of these animals are being sold for a good bit less than the hunts Wade is offering.

When you are looking at an animal such as the scimitar horn being offered for less than 1K for females and bulls for 12 to 15 hundred, a lot of folks are doing those hunts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Oryxhunter,

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!!.....I think you misunderstood what I said. I probably should have written it a little more clearly. I NEVER said 5,000 Oryx would be shot in the next 10 weeks. That would be ridiculous!!

Here is what I said...
quote:
By the time April 4th gets here....I would venture to guess that somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 Oryx will have been killed because of the new regulations. All this is a direct result of our government's ignorance, as well as the stupidity of organizations like PETA, HSUS, and "Friends of Animals".

I said that as a result of these new regulations, I personally believe 5,000-8,000 Oryx will end up being killed (over the course of 2+ years we have known about the new laws coming into effect).

Those of us in the industry (or close to the industry) have known for more than 2 years about this lawsuit and the pending legislation. A HUGE number of Oryx have already been killed over the 2 years. I know many ranches that shot off or sold off ALL their Oryx over a year ago.

Many people speculate (including myself) that roughly half of the original 11,000 have ALREADY been killed....(of course there is no way to prove this). They will continue to be killed at an even higher rate until the deadline, but I never meant for it to sound like I actually thought 5k Oryx would be killed in 10 weeks. Sorry for not being more clear.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not happening???

Yes, the hunting market as a whole is a little slowm but with the prices, and nothing against Wade, but a bunch of these animals are being sold for a good bit less than the hunts Wade is offering.

When you are looking at an animal such as the scimitar horn being offered for less than 1K for females and bulls for 12 to 15 hundred, a lot of folks are doing those hunts.

No worries Crazyhorse....I'm fully aware there are several places offering cheaper Oryx hunts than what I'm offering. In fact, I recently saw where an entire herd was sold for $500 each (any female) and $750 each (any bull) respectively. Of course, these were literally sold overnight due to the extremely low pricing....but now the rancher does not have to worry about getting rid of them at the last minute.

And you are right....LOTS of people are doing these hunts. I guarantee you nearly every taxidermy shop in Texas has at least one Oryx in it right now.....with some having LOTS of Oryx.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an excerpt from a TWA e-mail.

Conducting hunts before April 4 continues to be lawful, but the purposeful killing off of a ranch herd is not. Ranchers would be ill advised to kill off their herds and should avoid that appearance. TWA members, nor anyone else, would want to see that happen to these magnificent animals after the efforts by landowners to enhance populations of these species in Texas and in the U.S.

So it is unlawful for a landowner to kill off his herd?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Here is an excerpt from a TWA e-mail.

Conducting hunts before April 4 continues to be lawful, but the purposeful killing off of a ranch herd is not. Ranchers would be ill advised to kill off their herds and should avoid that appearance. TWA members, nor anyone else, would want to see that happen to these magnificent animals after the efforts by landowners to enhance populations of these species in Texas and in the U.S.

So it is unlawful for a landowner to kill off his herd?

As far as I know....it is not unlawful for a landowner to do with them as he/she pleases. Until April 4th, they are still classified in Texas as livestock and there are no harvest regulations on livestock.

I don't like the fact that this is happening....in fact, I hate it!! I wish we could just continue managing them like we have been (which has worked VERY well). However, I do not blame any of the landowners who decide to get rid of their animals. Oryx are fairly large animals and eat a lot. Once the regulations go into effect, the animals will be virtually worthless from a business stand-point. The cost and time involved in the ridiculous permitting process is more than landowners will likely be able to make back in revenue from hunting the animals.

For those who aren't familiar with the current CITES permitting process associated with Barasingha, Arabian Oryx, Red Lechwe, and Eld's Deer....there are some severe flaws with the system which make it completely counter productive. First of all, landowners must have fairly large herds of the animals to even apply for the permits. Once you apply, there is no guarantee you will get any permits. There are ranches with herds of several hundred animals that only receive a few permits for males. Second, they do not allow the culling of ANY females, EVER....for ANY reason. This makes it impossible to keep herd populations in check....and therefore the landowners end up with more than they can afford to feed, and usually sell them live for next to nothing.

To say the permitting system is a joke would be a massive understatement. Texas landowners are the ONLY reason Scimitar Horned Oryx still exist at all. They grew the population to where it was two years ago, and did so without any type of regulations, subsidies, or other "help" from the feds. The free market is what saved the animals....not the whackos at "Friends of Animals". The new regulations will no doubt hinder the survival of these three species.

The saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it" comes to mind in this situation....

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Another MAJOR reason most landowners do not want to deal with the permitting process is that once you apply for permits (either breeding permits or "cull & take" permits)....the feds then have the right to inspect your entire operation/property at any time without warning, and conduct a complete audit if they desire.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Also, i would bet that there are folk with only a handful of animals, maybe a dozen or less on their property, and they are not going to mess with these new regs.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Also, i would bet that there are folk with only a handful of animals, maybe a dozen or less on their property, and they are not going to mess with these new regs.

Bingo

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say myself and a buddy have taken both a scimitar and addax within the last 15 months because of these new regulations. We are also currently looking at adding the Dama as well. Had these regulations not become a reality, neither of us would have made these hunts within the last year and a half.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
To any who have e-mailed and/or called me regarding these hunts....we are currently trying to resolve some scheduling issues that have come up.

I hope to have updated news for you guys within the next day or two.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I can honestly say myself and a buddy have taken both a scimitar and addax within the last 15 months because of these new regulations. We are also currently looking at adding the Dama as well. Had these regulations not become a reality, neither of us would have made these hunts within the last year and a half.

Same here with my recent oryx hunt.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to wedge one in asap, before I leave at the end of April for RSA.

I run a few head of cattle. I guarantee you, if we had any Oryx on our place, the day these regs were posted; within a month, every last one of them would have hit the slaughterhouse. Every one.

friggin' government...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
+3...what Boxhead & Graybird said.

I shot 2 of them, they were so cheap & may shoot more, the meat is too delicious to pass up another cheap slaughter.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry to those I have not responded to (I was out of town for some family matters Mon-Wed). I am not booking any more of these Oryx hunts at this time....

I will keep you guys posted if/when something changes.