Find
Notify
Tools

SITATUNGA in TONDWA '23-'24
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

Tondwa in Northern Zambia may be the best sitatunga hunting in Africa and it is certainly the best in Africa for Zambezi sitatunga. Expect 26-27 inches but 30 inches is completely possible here and you will have multiple opportunities. There is also good plains game to include sable, roan and eland.

Hunting is possible in Tondwa May-Nov. Early season you pole through the papyrus swamp in a canoe much like the old Mokoro hunts in Botswana. As the Tondwa lakes dry up later in the season it is possible to hunt from blinds or dry ground around the lakes.

Johnny duPlooy/Muchinga Adventures will be doing the hunts. Johnny has spent many years hunting Tondwa and knows it very well.

There is a 10 day or 14 day option for this hunt and a 1 day Kafue lechwe hunt, 2-3 days at Bangweulu for black lechwe and tsessbe or game farm for a big sable etc are all available add-ons.

1x1 10 days..............................$10,500 does NOT allow sable, roan and eland
Concession fee............................$5,500
1x1 14 days..............................$12,950 does ALLOW sable, roan and eland
Concession fee............................$6,000
Licensing.................................$1,500
Observer....................................$350 per day
Dip/pack..................................$1,950

THE 14 DAY OPTION IS ACTUALLY A BETTER DEAL PER DAY

TROPHY FEES:

Baboon $175
Bushbuck $1250
Bushpig $1250
Common duiker $950
Blue duiker $2750
Eland $5750 14 days only
Jackal $950
Puku $1250
Reedbuck $1250
Roan $8000 14 days only
Sable $7000 14 days only
Sitatunga $8000
Warthog $950

Need the "Swamp fairy" this is your chance.

Call me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to see Johnny back in Tondwa!!

Isn't there a charter involved to get in there?? I know this is way up north from Lusaka...maybe commercial flight to close pick up point??

WOW, pricing way up from 3-4 years ago!!...glad I am old and have a full trophy room!!

This is a great adventure!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2571 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Mark -

Tondwa has always held a special place in my heart. I did it in 2005 (IIRC) with Terry Von Rooyen. He was only 19 or 20 I think?

I always remember how it reminded me of what the Garden of Eden must have been like.

I killed a 28" Sitatunga, not from lake Tondwa but from the crater lake named I think Kaku? It's just up the hill from camp. Anyway, I killed a Sitatunga, Roan, Giant of a Puku and a Blue Duiker.

When Terry and I left, we drove to Kasama and I jumped on a charter to Nyaminga and did Lion, Leopard and all the other stuff there with Alister. What fantastic times those were.

I returned to Tondwa in 2009 IIRC for Livingstone Eland and Sable. I killed what was at the time the largest the duPlooy's had ever taken there. It was 44.5.

Fishing was fun as well after we'd finished hunting.

Remarkable place, remarkable species mix. those that are thinking about this....do it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

Isn't there a charter involved to get in there?? I know this is way up north from Lusaka...maybe commercial flight to close pick up point??

WOW, pricing way up from 3-4 years ago!!...glad I am old and have a full trophy room!!

When I did it in 2005 & 2009, we drove from Lusaka. It was a brute of a drive. The last 250 was on Mporokosa Rd. It was rough and rutted the entire way. Broke a coil on the Rover.

In 2009, the road was FAR better. and we could drive 50-60 MPH all the way. I believe you could charter to Kasama? I chartered from Kasama to Naming in 2005, after driving there.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Yeah! I know you took about every animal that Zambia has on quota and a lot of it with Muchinga. Some great memories for you.

As far as the charter goes it is spendy at about $4,800 each way. If you are adventurous and have the time it is a two day drive each direction from Lusaka. Far less expensive than a charter and you could stop by Bangweulu for a black lechwe if you wanted to add one more day.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, Did Johnny put a strip in the GMA or is it to Kasama?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Just out of curiosity, Did Johnny put a strip in the GMA or is it to Kasama?

Mark can probably answer this better but I think it’s still Kasama. I’m just doing the drive up and back with Johnny.

Posts: 3858 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Steve,

Yeah! I know you took about every animal that Zambia has on quota and a lot of it with Muchinga. Some great memories for you.

As far as the charter goes it is spendy at about $4,800 each way. If you are adventurous and have the time it is a two day drive each direction from Lusaka. Far less expensive than a charter and you could stop by Bangweulu for a black lechwe if you wanted to add one more day.

Mark

Here’s a question….if one wanted to “stop/divert” for say Black Lechwe or I would imagine even a Tsessebe too, would you have to pay an additional concession fee? I would think these unique animals (certainly the Black Lechwe) would be attractive as an option. May be a reason to want to do the drive and see more country

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kpoynter,

Day 1: You could drive to Bangweulu from Lusaka 12 hours and overnight.

Day 2: Hunt Black lechwe and possibly tsessbe in AM and drive to Mpika or Kasama that PM. Overnight there.

Day 3: Drive to Tondwa.

It would also be possible upon leaving Tondwa to drive to Lusaka, overnight and pick up the Kafue lechwe on a day trip from Lusaka to the Kafue flats the next day.

If I were to do another sitatunga this would be the way to do it avoiding a 2nd trip to Zambia for the other specialties.

The lechwes and the tsessbe have a flat fee that includes the day rate and the trophy fees. An overnight at Bangweulu will also garner a fee. There is no separate "Concession fee".

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Charter is into Kasama still.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve,

Charter is into Kasama still.

Mark

Mark you can fly direct to Nsumbu NP

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9873 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Baldry,

You are correct. The strip at Nsumbu is only a half hour from Tondwa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Baldry,

Mark

Mark…. Let’s discuss.

Posts: 3858 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

I don't think Johnnys areas in Luangwa have been allocated yet?

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Baldry,

Mark

However, the most cost-effective route would be a domestic flight to Kasama and a 6-hour drive to Tondwa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9873 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote