THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OUTFITTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts    Info for African Forum: Mark Sullivan Hunting Cape Buffalo in South Africa 2017
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info for African Forum: Mark Sullivan Hunting Cape Buffalo in South Africa 2017
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
How many other professional hunters have had as many charges as he has had??

One only gets a charge when one screws up.

Mark is a champion at screwing things up.

He does it on purpose, so he can get his five minutes of silly fame.

Actually, he is a bloody disgrace to the profession.

Real professionals would everything possible to avoid a charge, not to instigate them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

If you met the man and talked to him, I promise you that you would like him.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I watched a couple of his videos.....you can tell he forces the charges....nope, not for me.
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
How many other professional hunters have had as many charges as he has had??

One only gets a charge when one screws up.

Mark is a champion at screwing things up.

He does it on purpose, so he can get his five minutes of silly fame.

Actually, he is a bloody disgrace to the profession.

Real professionals would everything possible to avoid a charge, not to instigate them.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2579 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next year, 2x1 buffalo with Mark--you and I? I will bring my old .600 Wilkes.

I have a Safari and trip to New Zealand already booked in 18'...make it 2019 and it's a deal. Plus I'll have a new Heym 89 by then tu2

It's a long time to plan ahead, but I was already planning 2019 to hunt SA anyway..so this would fit in nicely.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Saeed:

If you met the man and talked to him, I promise you that you would like him.

Larry,

He might be the nicest person one could meet, but the way he displays himself in his videos is bloody atrocious!

He could be acting for all I know, and playing the proverbial villain.

But when one reads what he had posted here himself, explaining why he does it this way, my impression does not change of the fact that there is something wrong somewhere.

I am out of the country, or I would post his post here.

You might wish to search for it and see for yourself.

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
A hunt with Mark would be a special treat.

Hunting buffalo is a treat anytime,& I have hunted buff in South Africa,would I do it again if the price was right? yes for sure,but I would not expect the experience to equal buff hunting in Zimbabwe,one thing is for sure though,I would never accept a PH killing my animal for me.
There can be special exceptions,Mike's video,when him & Buzz were getting charged by an elephant,it was survival pure & simple,actually pretty exciting to watch,Africa at it's greatest !!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Non of them enjoys shooting their clients animals, and if that occasion arises, they know they have done something wrong, not pride themselves at doing it non stop.

How many real professional hunters put so many rediculous videos of animal charges?

This has been debunked many times..he doesn't shoot all his clients animals and he explains that avoiding charges is easy if avoiding is what one wants to do.

Heym:
Mark has also had far fewer charges than the haters want to admit. I'm going from memory here but if my recollection is accurate, in 16 years he had 8 buffalo and 6 hippo charges--for 16 years of filming! I also think it is interesting that in all the attacks on Mark (100% from those who never met the man, hunted with the man, or had the guts to speak to him face to face), Mark has never attacked or rebutted his attackers. That speaks volumes about his character.
Cheers,
Cal

This sounds like the recipe for a fun and memorable hunt with Mark Cal!

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ExpressYourself:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Non of them enjoys shooting their clients animals, and if that occasion arises, they know they have done something wrong, not pride themselves at doing it non stop.

How many real professional hunters put so many rediculous videos of animal charges?

This has been debunked many times..he doesn't shoot all his clients animals and he explains that avoiding charges is easy if avoiding is what one wants to do.

Heym:
Mark has also had far fewer charges than the haters want to admit. I'm going from memory here but if my recollection is accurate, in 16 years he had 8 buffalo and 6 hippo charges--for 16 years of filming! I also think it is interesting that in all the attacks on Mark (100% from those who never met the man, hunted with the man, or had the guts to speak to him face to face), Mark has never attacked or rebutted his attackers. That speaks volumes about his character.
Cheers,
Cal

This sounds like the recipe for a fun and memorable hunt with Mark Cal!

Any "hunt" with the Legendary Mark Sullivan is memomarble, I am sure! rotflmo

Nothing like it in the history of big game hunting!

I can categorically state that I have read practically all books written by past professional hunters, and not a single one has ever done what The Legendary Mark Sullivan has done! beer

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
The same logic could be applied to a fishing guide killing/catching/gaffing his clients fish for him/her. I am sure you don't do that with your clients.[/QUOTE]

killpc

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope Mark continues to offer these SA buff hunts in the coming years...I would be more than interested in hunting with Mr. Sullivan. tu2

You will have a fabulous time, learn some valuable techniques, but most importantly you will have some great memories from your hunt to last a lifetime!

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Skip Sullivan!! Now I wanna hunt with saeed!!

Then you might want to bring along an orange ATV/sand rail safety flag for the short grass.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suck at searching thru forums on AR - ar needs a better search feature in my opinion.

Is there any hunt report with Mark Sullivan as a PH on AR?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I hope Mark continues to offer these SA buff hunts in the coming years...I would be more than interested in hunting with Mr. Sullivan. tu2

You will have a fabulous time, learn some valuable techniques, but most importantly you will have some great memories from your hunt to last a lifetime!

That may be true but $12,500 plus for a 3 day experience is a big pill to swallow. Of course if your mouth is big enough, go for it....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a good value for someone that would like to hunt and share a camp with Mark but for them Tanzania is out of reach or not a place they desire to hunt. Remember, that can easily be closer to a 5 day hunt simply by timing your flights correctly. If you need more time they can likely make something work for the hunter that wants to stay and hunt more species. Just a thought.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is a good value for someone that would like to hunt and share a camp with Mark but for them Tanzania is out of reach or not a place they desire to hunt.

But Mark was a "permanent resident" in TZ for almost the entire hunting season during the past recent years. Surely his stolid "repertoire" of clients/followers would be clamoring to be in his company, costs be damned!
Surely even they would know that there is no comparison between the Mbarangandu, Moyowosi, Rukwa, etc. and a fenced ranch in South Africa.

Or have the greater part of his top-end clients abandoned him and is now concentrating on securing the second-tier group?

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark will be in Tanzania again this season at the close of the hunts offered in South Africa. I happen to love and enjoy South Africa and I also enjoy and hunt Tanzania as well. Why you would say second-tier is beyond me.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Comparing hunting in the wilds of Tanzania and a fenced farm in South Africa is exactly the same as comparing hunting with a genuine African professional hunter and a clueless, self centered, self aggrandizing Hollywood wannabe like the LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVAN!

Chalk and cheese! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...or like shooting dangerous game at 300yds with a wildcat sniper round or getting close with a traditional African rifle.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
...or like shooting dangerous game at 300yds with a wildcat sniper round or getting close with a traditional African rifle.

Some hunters are capable of killing their animals at any distance, from 5 yards to 500.

It is called hunting, and one takes whatever chance he is given.

I have absolutely no problem of shooting at any reasonable distance when there is no option.

Imagine following some buffalo all day, then you see them across an opening about to disappear into a thicket.

If you have the right rifle, and your PH has confidence in your shooting ability, you do not go back to camp empty handed.

Of course, if you are hunting with the LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVAN, you would be a terrible shot, wound your buffalo at close range, then you would retire to back stage, while the LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVAN, gets all the cameras set up, before kills it for you.

The buffalo has to be lying right in the open though.

If for any reason the wounded buffalo runs into a thicket, it dies a slow miserable death.

Your hero hasn't got the balls other professional hunters have - you know, the ones he calls wimps.

Those professionals who care about their clients, and pride themselves on never having to fire a single shot.

They will lead their client into the thickets so he can finish his own animal.

They abhore grandstanding. clap

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Grandstanding?
Mark is grandstanding by his comments?
Is Saeed grandstanding by a thousand anti-Mark comments to draw attention to himself?
Just wondering.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grandstanding?
Mark is grandstanding by his comments?
Is Saeed grandstanding by a thousand anti-Mark comments to draw attention to himself?
Just wondering.
Cal

Cal,

If you cannot recognize grandstanding when you see it, I cannot help you.

Talk about being blinded by hero worship.

I do remember telling us than none of us can walk in the LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVAN'd shoes rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Good day, Saeed:
I don't disagree about Mark drawing attention to himself. He is like every successful person in the entertainment industry who looks, acts, etc., in a certain way so folks will look their way. Unfortunatley, too many believe what Mark says or does is who he is. In his second book, Mark made the comment that a .470 was a ladies' rifle. Some took offense to that but it was a comment made in humor. And, when one looks at Mark's success and name recognition and compare it to so many qualified PHs that are financially broke, struggling for clients, and are unknown; Mark made a successful marketing decision. I would challenge any PH to compare their sales of dvd or videos to those of Mark. I mean, how many get excited seeing impala shot over a water hole?

Now, I know you don't like the guy. I gather that by reading bewtween the lines of your posts. I wonder what is the reason for so many? As with all of us here on AR, with all the various personalities, heads are bound to be butted. There are folks here who annoy me and I, them. But there is no one here that I would make hundreds, maybe a thousand, of posts of negativity toward them. Logic would seem to dictate that if one does not like anything about another they would distance themselves from that person. Not you, however. You jump right in, drawing attention to yourself and Mark with an endless tirade of the same stuff.

No disrespect intended to you. I just wonder because I've never seen anything like it.
Cal
PS. Please put my quote in the proper context it was written.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good day, Saeed:
I don't disagree about Mark drawing attention to himself. He is like every successful person in the entertainment industry who looks, acts, etc., in a certain way so folks will look their way. Unfortunatley, too many believe what Mark says or does is who he is. In his second book, Mark made the comment that a .470 was a ladies' rifle. Some took offense to that but it was a comment made in humor. And, when one looks at Mark's success and name recognition and compare it to so many qualified PHs that are financially broke, struggling for clients, and are unknown; Mark made a successful marketing decision. I would challenge any PH to compare their sales of dvd or videos to those of Mark. I mean, how many get excited seeing impala shot over a water hole?

Now, I know you don't like the guy. I gather that by reading bewtween the lines of your posts. I wonder what is the reason for so many? As with all of us here on AR, with all the various personalities, heads are bound to be butted. There are folks here who annoy me and I, them. But there is no one here that I would make hundreds, maybe a thousand, of posts of negativity toward them. Logic would seem to dictate that if one does not like anything about another they would distance themselves from that person. Not you, however. You jump right in, drawing attention to yourself and Mark with an endless tirade of the same stuff.

No disrespect intended to you. I just wonder because I've never seen anything like it.
Cal
PS. Please put my quote in the proper context it was written.

Cal,

Mark Sullivan videos, and his writings on here and in other publications, are nothing but a load of bloody rubbish!

He has nothing nice to say about any of his clients - he specifically said they are terrible shot.

He has no respect for his profession, calling all other professional hunters that they have no balls.

I think he has been looking in the mirror for too long, and sees only himself.

Real professional hunters would never, ever stoop to his silly, childish level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I suck at searching thru forums on AR - ar needs a better search feature in my opinion.
Thanks,
Mike

There might be some hunt reports that could be located that were posted at one time or another. There are some folks on AR that have hunted previously and that still hunt with Mark including myself. I personally do not post hunt reports on AR. Many of Mark’s clients are professionals that do not want attention on public forums regarding their African hunting as well.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Mike

There might be some hunt reports that could be located that were posted at one time or another. There are some folks on AR that have hunted previously and that still hunt with Mark including myself. I personally do not post hunt reports on AR. Many of Mark’s clients are professionals that do not want attention on public forums regarding their African hunting as well.

Yes.

I bet not many people would proud tell a story that they went out for a great dinner, and their wives did not come home with them.

Gone with the headwaiter instead for the night rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Mike

AR is flooded with hunt reports written by professionals.

I would like to see a hunt report or two with Mark Sullivan by paying clients cause then we would get to see a actual true picture of Mark Sullivan between the haters who have never hunted with him and the promotional sell dvds crowd view of mark sullivan.

I would bet a mark sullivan tanzania safari by a paying client would be just a boring/good as regular hunt with a quality outfit. there would be no theatrics of the dvds.

I will never hunt with Mark Sullivan as I dont spend big dollars on hunting DG - I just have better uses of my money - hunting eland,

Maybe some of Mark Sullivans supporters on AR can cancel their hunts with their outfitters and book with Mark Sullivan and write a hunt report.

Just kind of sad the only hunt report with Mark Sullivan on AR is a quail hunt on a AR charity benefit Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Mike

Yes.

I bet not many people would proud tell a story that they went out for a great dinner, and their wives did not come home with them.

Gone with the headwaiter instead for the night rotflmo

I understand that you might have such prurient interests and to each his own. I am far more interested in the up close dangerous game hunting aspects of Cape buffalo, and of course hippo with Mark Sullivan.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Up close with a buffalo?

Who gets to get up close with a buffalo when THE LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVAN is around?

He make sure the paying client is hidden from view - after he had conveniently wounded the buffalo.

Then the cameras are set - I had quite a report from one of his video cameramen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Mike

I would like to see a hunt report or two with Mark Sullivan by paying clients cause then we would get to see a actual true picture of Mark Sullivan between the haters who have never hunted with him and the promotional sell dvds crowd view of mark sullivan.

I would bet a mark sullivan tanzania safari by a paying client would be just a boring/good as regular hunt with a quality outfit. there would be no theatrics of the dvds.

I will never hunt with Mark Sullivan as I dont spend big dollars on hunting DG - I just have better uses of my money - hunting eland,

Maybe some of Mark Sullivans supporters on AR can cancel their hunts with their outfitters and book with Mark Sullivan and write a hunt report.

Just kind of sad the only hunt report with Mark Sullivan on AR is a quail hunt on a AR charity benefit Wink

Mike

I have hunted numerous times with Mark on camera, off camera, by myself, and also with other clients present. Mark hunts dangerous game the same way weather a camera is tagging along to capture footage or not. Hunting with Mark is an absolute blast and there is never a dull moment. Mark endeavors constantly to get his client(s) in front of quality animals every minute of every day…and up close and personal.

Mike...My reason for not posting a hunt report on AR regarding Nitro Express Safaris and Mark is probably self-evident by this or any MS thread. Saeed is wound tighter than an idiots watch and his minions are almost just as bad. I don’t need/want to spar with folks when sharing my personal hunt so why bother? I know that others here on AR that have hunted with Mark feel the same way. Instead they just keep re-booking with Mark and enjoy their hunt(s). They simply share the hunt details with their friends and not the public.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Mike

Mike

I have hunted numerous times with Mark on camera, off camera, by myself, and also with other clients present. Mark hunts dangerous game the same way weather a camera is tagging along to capture footage or not. Hunting with Mark is an absolute blast and there is never a dull moment. Mark endeavors constantly to get his client(s) in front of quality animals every minute of every day…and up close and personal.

Mike...My reason for not posting a hunt report on AR regarding Nitro Express Safaris and Mark is probably self-evident by this or any MS thread. Saeed is wound tighter than an idiots watch and his minions are almost just as bad. I don’t need/want to spar with folks when sharing my personal hunt so why bother? I know that others here on AR that have hunted with Mark feel the same way. Instead they just keep re-booking with Mark and enjoy their hunt(s). They simply share the hunt details with their friends and not the public.

Real hunters do not stand for all the bullshit that THE LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVAN is well known for.

Lies and make believe Hollywood antics never work here.

We like to hear clients doing their own hunts, killing their own animals.

Whoever is guiding the hunt is of important.

Of course, where THE LEGENDARY MARK SULLIVSN is concerned, nothing else matters but his own silly ego! clap

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Mike

Mike

You are quite the minion yourself I think,the evidence speaks louder than any BS you type out here,why all the secrecy & no hunt reports ? maybe nobody is proud to have hunted with Mark?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

You are quite the minion yourself I think,the evidence speaks louder than any BS you type out here,why all the secrecy & no hunt reports ? maybe nobody is proud to have hunted with Mark?[/QUOTE]

Negative…most business professionals and many private minded folks don’t need the additional headache generated from public forums and many are too busy to joust with clowns my friend. Not suggesting you’re a clown unless the shoes and red nose fit.

Shawn Joyce
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I know several fellows that have hunted with Mark . . . both hunted with Mark on multiple occasions. These are hunters with considerable hunting experience. Individuals that do their own shooting and like to hunt hard. They both have not one negative word to say about Mark and both would not hesitate to hunt with Mark again. All this innuendo and speculation is comical when you compare the noise to the reality.

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do I really need to add anything to the following??

I realized at 41 I had a choice: to follow my childhood dream," Sullivan said. "I ventured to Tanzania and East Africa, and literally overnight became a professional hunter. I knew not one word of the local dialect. I didn't hear my wife's voice for 5 1/2 months." Sullivan reflected on the popularity of his blood-on-the-shoes hunting method -- and the disdain it earns from some of his fellow exhibitors. "I am the most hated professional hunter the world over," Sullivan said. "Professional hunters hate Mark Sullivan because I do what they don't have the balls to do. I am the only one that willingly walks up to the rogue hippo and great old buffalo and gives them the choice of how they want to die in battle, rather than shooting them to oblivion from safety. I honor these great and noble warriors, offering my life in exchange for what I believe." "What I am doing in my manner is elevating the sport of hunting to its highest level. Killing makes me sick, but hunting is the greatest adventure left on earth," Sullivan said. And Sullivan in turn heaped scorn on the private Texas and Florida game ranches advertising in the booths around him quick trophy kills..."

And his very own letter to AR members.

Please read it all.

It is quite an admission!

To members of AR, friends, and clients:

It gives me great pleasure to have this opportunity to write you. To the surprise of many, I have not purposely avoided this day. I am not as well versed in the computer arena as many of you, nor do I wish to be. I live a simple life. I have never tried or wanted to be a disruptive influence. I go about my business one day at a time. I infringe upon no one. I expect the same from others. I suppose this is why I am misunderstood. People believe I am aloof; and perhaps even arrogant. I am none of the above. My intentions are honorable, I assure you. For my critics on this forum I now answer your allegations against me.

I began my professional hunting career in Tanzania in 1990 at the age of 40. Then as now; I go about my business one day at a time. I offend no one. I am professional to everyone. I have no ax to grind and; no dog in the fight. As I did 20 years ago, I still, in my view, hunt for all of the right reasons and none of the bad as I have so often been accused. I do not hunt for the camera or to show off. I do not brag or boast. I instruct. I answer questions. I also write books. I make documentary hunting films that are responsible for thousands of hunters going on safari each year.

My movies evoke great emotion. Either you like them or you do not. Regardless of your emotions so invoked, they are true. The charges are real. If you watch them with an unbiased eye, you will notice no edits ever occur moments before or during a charge. In all cases, my clients shoot first. My shot always follows theirs. The footage is unaltered. It is authentic as it happens footage. Whether you like what you see or not is a different matter. The life and death events depicted on the screen cannot be denied. In the wild, everyday is kill or be killed, eat or be eaten. My films simply show this raw side of nature.

I suppose the reason why a great many people hate me and my movies, for lack of a better description, is I do what I do because it is who I am. Just as it may be your nature not to take chances, which makes you who and what you are. I love the confrontation. I seek it. I enjoy a fight to the death. I relish the idea that if I perform poorly I die a horrible death. I’m attracted to the cycle of life and death. I often try and get as close to death as I can, crossing the line if I choose, just to get a good whiff. Last season I enjoyed four outstanding life and death charges with as many clients. No cameraman was present. Each client came away with a life defining experience. Each one would do it again if given the opportunity.

I know my manner and method of hunting is controversial. Yet, in my opinion, it represents the finest hunting there is. I honor the life I am about to take by offering my life in return. I can offer no more and therefore give hunting my all. If I fail to kill, I die. It is as simple as that. If we are to believe in the sport we call “dangerous game hunting,” then why do so many do everything in their power to remove as much danger as possible? Why call it dangerous game? Why not call it “least dangerous” if the object is to remove all danger? Why criticize me for accepting the danger in our sport? I do not like killing. I do like hunting—there is a difference. Anyone can kill a wounded Cape buffalo standing his ground 40 yards away. In my opinion, to do so is killing. On the other hand, to walk up and let that magnificent animal decide how he is to die in battle is great hunting. If you lack courage that is something I cannot help you with. But to condemn me because I have the courage you lack is unfair and unjust.

For example, a client shoots and wounds a buffalo. Then the buffalo is allowed to run. The client and professional hunter sit down for 30 to 45 minutes to let the buffalo “stiffen.” Is the buffalo not suffering during this time? The buffalo is allowed to “stiffen” which is code word to die. Is that “dangerous game” hunting to you? I pursue my buffalo immediately, every time. I do not want to find him dead. I want him alive. I want him to charge to his death or mine should I fail to stop him. Killing is boring. Great hunting never is. This is who I am. While I am on this point of clients wounding dangerous game and how quickly I go after it, let me address the often-mentioned criticism that I not only risk my own life, but that of my client. Over the past 20 years I have been a professional hunter I have never had a client (or tracker) harmed by an animal being hunted. In every instance, I first obtain express permission from the client. More often than not, a client chooses me to hunt with because of the unique hunting experience I offer. A client knows I have the proven experience to close with dangerous game and correctly books his safari. If the truth be known, I make a pretty good insurance policy.

Mr. Kim Petersen posted a letter addressed to me. I wish to answer his allegations.

The first is I intentionally wound buffalo so as to prompt them into charging. This is not true. I instruct my clients to always make the best possible shot. The indisputable fact is clients shoot poorly and nothing will ever change that reality. Coupled with the fact buffalo are notoriously difficult to kill, these two conditions make hunting them a challenge. I know many of you have killed buffalo with one shot. That is not the norm. Buffalo take a great deal of killing. I know. I have the experience to prove it. The notion that I use a .22 to shoot buffalo in the balls is not worth the effort I am about to make to dispute it, but here it goes anyway. I do not know where you hunt your buffalo. Where I hunt my buffalo the grass, bush, trees, and every other obstacle God created obscures most parts of a buffalo anyhow. In 20 years I do not recall ever seeing the testicles of a buffalo before he was shot nor have I ever had any inclination to try and shoot them. What is the point? For those who have no penchant for ever doing what I do, I can only imagine their minds race wild with things that don’t matter. If you want a buffalo to charge, put yourself in front of him, let him see you, then walk directly at him. The notion that I would waste my time using a .22 should embarrass those spreading the rumor.

The second question is more of a statement than a question. After a client takes his shot on dangerous game, I determine whether or not a backup shot is necessary or even possible. The last thing I want is for a wounded animal to get away. Contrary to what I have been accused of, I do fire backup shots quickly. More often than not, I have been blamed for firing too quickly, too often. I shoot as a backup for a number of reasons. Clients demand that I do. I determine they need help by observing their skills or lack thereof. If I am filming I believe more gun shots are better than fewer gun shots. I remember purchasing a hunting movie where I waited 45 minutes to hear the first gun shot. That may be the kind of movie you like to watch, but not me.

The second part of this is I “taunt my prey…for the purpose of filming a charge.” While this statement seems logical to the inexperienced, it is precisely for that reason why it is not true. Let me explain. An inexperienced client, or equally inexperienced professional hunter, wrongly believes that in order to get a wounded buffalo to charge, you must first “taunt” him. The very fact that someone says this tells me he has limited dangerous game experience and does not know what he says. His knowledge of wounded buffalo behavior is incomplete or simply nonexistent. Let me set the record straight. There are two kinds of buffalo; those that run and those that charge. Ninety-five percent of all wounded buffalo fall into the first category. Those that run will never charge. They are cowards and no amount of campfire story telling will change that fact. The five percent that charge do not have to be taunted at all. The moment it sees you they charge. The idea that it must be taunted into charging is simply untrue. The mere fact that you have violated their personal space by being there is enough to set them off. What is not known beforehand is which kind of buffalo you are confronting. I have never had a buffalo that first runs away, later turn and charge. In my new book “Fear No Death” I go into great detail about this and much more. Anyone interested in knowing what I know should obtain a copy.

The third item, “my clients must sign a non-disclosure agreement” is a new one. I marvel at the creativity of the Mark Sullivan haters of the world. It reminds me when people say my cajones are the size of grapefruit. While I am sure they are trying to flatter me, I later set the record straight and confessed they are the size of watermelons. Directing a client not to talk about his safari with Mark Sullivan would be like trying to tell your wife she can’t go shopping. My clients are highly educated professional people and would never sign such a document. I could no more tell them what to do than they could tell me.

The fourth question conflicts with question #2. On the one hand I am accused of not “firing backup shots to kill a buffalo” at the first opportunity and now I am accused of firing shots “on top of my clients.” Let me tell you this story. In 1997 I did not have a cameraman. Sensitive to the criticism that I shoot clients game “on their dime” I decided to experiment. I would not help a single client shoot his buffalo, except if one charged, and none did. The next three clients wounded five buffalo and all were lost. Each bull had an outside horn measurement greater than 40 inches with one I was sure would exceed 45 inches. All shots were standing broadside shots under 100 yards. The animals seemingly there for the taking and yet they were lost to die a horrible death in the bush. I ask you, “Is that what you want?” Do you wish me not to shoot so the animal runs off never to be found? I cannot believe any hunter wants that. I certainly do not. I believe we have an obligation to kill the animal as quickly and as humanely as possible.

In my movie Death by the TON, the young man’s statement deserves an explanation. I was perturbed you may say, but not for the reasons you state. This is where the way I hunt differs from how you hunt. The reason why I was disappointed is because the charging hippo was too far away to be shot. He was 21 feet away. In my opinion that is too far for a certain killing shot. My instructions to my client (before we entered the arena) were to wait until the hippo breaks the 10 foot barrier before shooting. He did not do that. I do not believe in shooting early. Twenty one feet is much too far. Why is it too far? It goes to the core of how I hunt dangerous game. I believe 10 feet is the correct distance to begin shooting; not 21 feet. It is all about the hunt, not the kill. At 10 feet it is hunting. At 21 feet it is killing. This is how I hunt. By the way, for those of you who have never stood just ten feet in front of a charging animal, there is not a lot of time to shoot. This is why it appears I am shooting “on top of my client” to the inexperienced. If you disagree that is fine. However, your disagreeing with me does not make you right. Conversely, these are solely my views. They do not make me correct either. I prefer to let my clients determine if my hunting method is right for them.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I leave for Tanzania to begin my 21st season. I will not be present to respond to your comments. If I have insulted any of you, please accept my full and complete apology. My intention is not to irritate. My writing manner is direct much like my manner and method of hunting. This is how I am made. It is what makes me—me. I have no trouble with those who disagree. But until you hunt with me you will never know me. I have more clients this year than I have ever had. I do not hold a gun to their heads to get them to sign up. They come to me willingly and leave as life-long friends. I welcome each and everyone one of you to do the same. Remember, shoot straight and let them come close!

In closing, I wish to personally thank those in support of my SCI situation. I know many of you have written SCI on my behalf. I cannot begin to thank you enough. I am humbled by your generosity. I am honored with your friendship. Recently I renewed my membership for an additional three years. Regardless of their treatment of me, I will continue to support SCI at every opportunity.

Great Hunting and Best Wishes,

Mark Sullivan
Professional Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I respect the opinion of others even if I disagree with them.

I find that the majority of the time, substantially all the time, I am in 100% agreement with you. Generally, I think you are quite reasonable and logical in your conclusions and opinions. If you don't like or don't respect Mark Sullivan, fine . I respect your opinion.

I can't comprehend the constant bashing him that goes on and on. It just seems so out of character for you. I do not understand it. I wish I did. It truly puzzles me.

A lot of the things out of Mark's mouth are schtick. Nothing more, nothing less. I spent a weekend around him on the hunt to benefit Stu Taylor. He is a completely different person than one sees on film.

Now carry on gentlemen.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Saeed and Mark have two diametrically opposite hunting styles. I think Saeed is both intimidated by, and more than a bit envious of, Mark's more confrontational, up close hunting style. Just an opinion.

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I respect the opinion of others even if I disagree with them.

I find that the majority of the time, substantially all the time, I am in 100% agreement with you. Generally, I think you are quite reasonable and logical in your conclusions and opinions. If you don't like or don't respect Mark Sullivan, fine . I respect your opinion.

I can't comprehend the constant bashing him that goes on and on. It just seems so out of character for you. I do not understand it. I wish I did. It truly puzzles me.

A lot of the things out of Mark's mouth are schtick. Nothing more, nothing less. I spent a weekend around him on the hunt to benefit Stu Taylor. He is a completely different person than one sees on film.

Now carry on gentlemen.

Larry,

I don't like AR being made as ad advertising platform for a fake.

As I mentioned before, he can be the nicest person on the face of this earth, but he certainly does not portrays himself as anything but a bloody idiot.

Business must be bad for him, as his agent posts a hunt offer for him here on false pretenses.

And he makes all the excuses when members call him out on it.

His agent goes a step further, and repeats his fake offer and puts it on the African Hunting Forum, just to get more exposure.

I have no problem with any agent or outfitter posting hunt offers, but as AR only interest in any offer is to be truthful, and above board.

This offer clearly was not, as members have found out.

We do not protect advertisers on AR, as they do on other sites that get paid for it.

Any offer is open to praise or criticism, no exceptions.

Frankly, I find anything to do with Mark Sullivan and hunting to be so silly.

Nothing matters, no one matters.

It is all about him and his ego.

And he saves everyone else from trying to prove that point by doing it himself.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed:

Now carry on gentlemen.

Well said, Larry. Also, I will look forward to our flight to South Africa on the 6th.

Saeed's endless attacks on Mark show a problem with him. It is very similar to his attacks on the USA and Trump in the political forum. Same stuff that never ends--alomst a jihadist hatred. Other than these two areas it is indeed not like the Saeed we all know and love. I wish there was a way to work the the AR site and find out how many of the anti Mark posts Saeed has made. A few years ago I stopped counting after 300 and I'm sure it is many times that now. There is a deep psychological reason Saeed finds it necessary to bash Mark with out end. Maybe, if there is a psychologist here, thay can shed some light on the why. On the positive side, Saeed gives Mark more publicity than anything else--the posts of others, my atricles in the African Hunter, etc., nothing comes close to keeping the name of Mark Sullivan in the forefront.

Larry, you are always the word of logic and wisdom. Unfortunately it won't work in this arena. Saeed will answer you as well as comment on my post here as he absolutely must have the last word on anything Sullivan.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
must have the last word on anything Sullivan.

Very strange.

I thought Mark Sullivan has the last word on professional hunting clap

I wonder why he thinks he the most hated professional hunter??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Saeed:

Now carry on gentlemen.

Well said, Larry. Also, I will look forward to our flight to South Africa on the 6th.

Saeed's endless attacks on Mark show a problem with him. It is very similar to his attacks on the USA and Trump in the political forum. Same stuff that never ends--alomst a jihadist hatred. Other than these two areas it is indeed not like the Saeed we all know and love. I wish there was a way to work the the AR site and find out how many of the anti Mark posts Saeed has made. A few years ago I stopped counting after 300 and I'm sure it is many times that now. There is a deep psychological reason Saeed finds it necessary to bash Mark with out end. Maybe, if there is a psychologist here, thay can shed some light on the why. On the positive side, Saeed gives Mark more publicity than anything else--the posts of others, my atricles in the African Hunter, etc., nothing comes close to keeping the name of Mark Sullivan in the forefront.

Larry, you are always the word of logic and wisdom. Unfortunately it won't work in this arena. Saeed will answer you as well as comment on my post here as he absolutely must have the last word on anything Sullivan.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal

Maybe Saeed has a deep psychological problem with bullshit Smiler

This whole promotional shoot is just a glorified expensive version of a Mark Sullivan DVD. Everyone has to make a living and everyone has to pay a mortgage. So shooting a few ear tagged buffalo in South Africa and selling 3 day shoots might be a nice way to make some money.

But I am pretty sure on the high dollar price real Tanzania hunts Mark Sullivan is a professional PH and there is no shtick.

Clients dont pay six figures for a shtick. But the shtick might sell some dvds and maybe a few year tagged buffaloes.

Mike