Find
Notify
Tools

Rio Hondo Land and Cattle, NM-Barbary Rams
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello:

My name is Jim Welles. I own and operate JFW Ranch Consulting, LLC, 10600 Eagle Rock Ave, Albuquerque, NM 87122. Our phone number is 505.294.7861. I have been a registered outfitter in NM for 16 years.

We have the priviledge of hunting Barbary Sheep on the Rio Hondo Land and Cattle Ranch in the beautiful Hondo Valley beteen Roswell and Ruidoso NM.This ranch is over 100,000 deeded acres and is the lifeblood of wildlife in the SE part of NM. We get 6 of the 10 Trophy Barb hunts every year. The 4 hunts we don't have are 3 day hunts. We get the 5 day hunts. They generally start right after the 3 day hunts in early February. We estimate the hunt will start on the 5th of February in 2012.

There are only 2 of our 5 day barbary hunts left on this wildlife mecca for 2012. The hunt is guided 2x1 and hunters stay in a great lodge on the ranch. Meals are the responsibility of the hunters and a kitchen is in the lodge with all the utensils one needs to cook the food to fill your stomachs.

The cost of the remaining 2 hunts is $3,200ea + Tax and License. Licenses are available over the counter at Game and Fish Office in NM. I am happy to answer any questions about this great fun hunt that takes place at a real boring time of the year.

A good ram on this ranch is 28-30 inches. These rams have more mass than there Texas counterpart. The horns in Texas are longer, these are fatter, SCI score tend to be a wash between these rams and Texas rams...but these hunts are way less in $'s.

The pics that follow are a 31 in ram taken in 2010, and 29's taken last month.

Get your buddy, son, daughter, wife and come have fun on the Rio Hondo.

Posts: 846 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't everyone need one of these in their trophy room?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took this pic while we were loading his buddy in the back of the Suburban. Lucky for him we did not have another tag we needed to fill.
He was very sad for the loss of his buddy.