Find
Notify
Tools

A Unique Wolf hunt!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A Unique Wolf hunt!!

As many of you know shooting a wolf is probably one of the hardest trophies to get in NA or anywhere else for that matter. They are just impossible to target and even with normal baiting methods there is no guarantee they will show up!

In doing research for a client who is very keen to shoot a wolf, I believe that I have finally found an outfitter in Canada who with many years of experience has perfected the art of hunting wolves!!

As you can see they come in various colors and sizes. This is a small sample of the photos that he sent me.

It started off with him shooting wolves to protect his and his neighbors livestock. After shooting dozens of them over the years he figured he would start guiding for them and this is all that he does, no ducks no deer nothing else. He only does a handful of these hunts each year and what is unique about his hunt is that there is no fixed date for your hunt! You send in your deposit and your name gets put on his list.

He has baits and stands well situated and once he feels that the wolves are coming in and he is sure (80-90% shot guarantee)that they are going to be around, he starts calling his list of hunters. If you can't go he calls the next hunter on his list and so on. If he calls you 3 times and you still don't go then you lose your deposit.

The cost of the hunt is $4,000 + 5% tax and is 6 hunting days. Over the years he has figured that 6 days will give the hunter enough time to take a wolf. You will stay with him in his house and eat home cooked meals prepared by his wife. License fee $110. Hunt deposit $1,600.

The method of hunting is sitting in a box blind as long as it takes, he has heaters but it will be cold.

To get there fly to Edmonton and from there it is a 2.5 hour drive.

Your hunt is over once you have killed or wounded and lost your wolf. The shot is about 100 yards.

The season is from 1st of January to about 15th April because he says the hides are not good after that. You can go after April as well but the hides may not be good.

You cannot get picky with the color or sex of the wolf, he wants you to shoot any mature wolf that you see. If you pass one up then you may not get another chance. It is luck of the draw, but he says that for the most part they shoot mature males.

Once the wolf is down he will take it to a local taxidermist who will prepare your trophy for shipment along with a CITES permit or he can mount it for you as well. This is obviously your cost.

This is not a hunt for everyone as flexibility to pack up and go when he calls is crucial. I did my best to press him to commit to hunt dates but he said that is fine if someone just wanted to come and hang out with him and his wife Smiler.

For the 2016 season he figures from experience that he can take a couple more hunters in addition to the names currently on his list.

His knowledge of these elusive animals and their habits is truly impressive. He takes great care on the positioning of his blinds and wind and scent and everything else that is crucial for your success. Finally he is an old timer and a rancher and is as straight as they come.

Thanks for looking.

Arjun Reddy
Http://www.HuntersNetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
USA
Tel: 845 259 3628
Email: arjun@huntersnetworks.com
DSC booth #: 340

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outfitter pick up or do you have to rent a car

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very interesting

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT photos!!
What is success rate, ie # wolves per # hunters?
Is the price stated in $US or $Canadian?

Very Interesting!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2561 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where are the photos of his clients wolves or is this a first year he has sold hunts?

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,

He has been hunting wolves for many many years. I have lots of client photos he sent me but don't wish to post them as they are not my clients!

Price is in USD

The shot opportunity is 80-90%.

Cheers
Arjun

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody that is that damn independent is likely to be pretty good. I just can't do anything spur of the moment.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote