New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Bears with Jake Jefferson 24'-25'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Jake Jefferson AKA Foutyonesix here on AR and I have a business arrangement and I'm going to be helping him market his spring bear hunts in Alaska's Unit 16.

These are baited hunts for both black and brown bears with brown bears most likely to show in the night and black bears in the daylight. Actually it will never really be dark at night at that time of year.

These are wilderness hunts with active bait stations only accessed via jet boat or bush plane.

Hunts are 10 days at $18,000 with Jake picking you up in Anchorage, AK on day 1 and dropping you off on day 10. Hunt price is all inclusive from Anchorage to Anchorage. Your only extra is lic/tag that is available thru the AK, F&G website.

Pix are some recent bears Jake's clients have taken.

By today's standards this is an inexpensive brown bear hunt. If you need a bear this could be a great hunt for you.

Call me and get your brown bear.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dose he still he still have is his no alcohole no tobacco policy?

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spelling is not my srrong point

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Good question. His reasons for this policy in the past rang hollow. Of course, that’s his right as is mine to look elsewhere.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13164 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep! That's his policy. Copenhagen etc is fine but no smoking or drinking of alcohol. Given this particular hunt being that you are camped close to the bait no smoking or drinking might be a great idea.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I've done this hunt with Jake. Killed a nice grizzly & a Real nice black bear. The last picture of Jake walking up on a grizzly was taken on the hunt I went on. Jake's the real deal & he'll give you 110% getting you on bears.

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Good question. His reasons for this policy in the past rang hollow. Of course, that’s his right as is mine to look elsewhere.

This amazes me everytime someone struggles with this. Thanks to everyone who has sent emails supporting my hollow decision and for the guys who have booked hunts just because of this policy.

I have worked in several hunt camps that allowed drinking and had numerous clients still unable to function 100 percent the next day. One guy even asked me to carry his gun as he struggled to climb over logs and navigate uneven ground. Alcohol affects each person different. A night cap for some might be just fine, for others have a different effect. A couple beers some people don’t notice, someone else might. In camp remote isn’t the place where I want to find out what kind of drinker someone is. So I chose to just eliminate that possibility. I’m there to take someone on a hunt. If drinking is that important to you there are plenty of outfitters who will cash your check and pop a top with you.

Smoking. If a smoker lives in one of my tents, even if they don’t smoke in it. The next client who isn’t a smoker will not want to sleep in that tent! I’m not going to purchase two sets of camp gear to accommodate smokers and non smokers. So, I have a no smoking policy. Again if someone needs to smoke plan for that when booking your hunt.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good policy, well explained.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake,
Fully support this and would book with you BECAUSE of this. If alcohol (kills the brain) and tobacco (kills the lungs, lips, throat, nose, etc) is important enough, then by all means commit suicide by stupidity.

Having held my mother's hand as she died of lung cancer due to smoking and finding my dad dead from liver failure due to alcohol, I am fine with Jake's policy and wish the world would ban them both.

Posts: 10201 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
dogcat...uh, I never took you for a Liberal.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely not a lib in much in life. Reworded my post a little to better convey my meaning.

As I tell my kids - nothing good comes from alcohol or tobacco.... If you abstain, you never have a problem.

In my family, by count, half of my family have alcohol or/and tobacco issues. It has taken a toll.

Posts: 10201 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Definitely not a lib in much in life. Reworded my post a little to better convey my meaning.

As I tell my kids - nothing good comes from alcohol or tobacco.... If you abstain, you never have a problem.

In my family, by count, half of my family have alcohol or/and tobacco issues. It has taken a toll.

Sorry...I just couldn't resist. Wink I agree that alcohol and tobacco certainly cause a lot of problems.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am a bit of liberal on gun control/management.
I am big fan on mandating "REAL" training and proof of learning in order to own a gun. Much like getting a driver's license. I don't think back ground checks do much, but proof of proficiency training and knowing gun/hunting laws should be mandatory in order to buy a gun.

I would encompass concealed carry into this as well. Proficiency and training, to me, does more to help than some other measures.

On the conservative side of my thoughts - death penalty to anyone committing a crime with a gun. Death penalty to drug pushers. Longer jail time to drug users. Maximum 5 years wait on death row, then you get the needle or the chair. Death penalty to pedophiles. Ban abortion as murder. I have a long list....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

Sorry...I just couldn't resist. Wink I agree that alcohol and tobacco certainly cause a lot of problems.

No offense taken.... I was not clear in my wording.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am big fan on mandating "REAL" training and proof of learning in order to own a gun.

One major pitfall in government is that those making decisions base those decision on their personal immediate experiences and bubble.

Since that training is not going to be free nor the license (proof of learning) you have just put a barrier in front of the poor in Texas and elsewhere.

But here is something most on this forum, yourself included, never think about. If you live in the village of Tuluksak, Perryville, Hooper Bay etc. where are you getting this training and approval let alone paying for it? These folks use that firearm to provide food for the table. You want to remove that ability with a rule you would not find burdensome in Texas?

Also next time you hear assault rifle ban will that include the Ruger mini-14, likely one of the most used hunting rifles in the villages?

I get where you are coming from but Covid government reaction and mandates should have taught us all that one size fits all.......rarely does.

Cheers
Jim

PS Sorry Mark and Jake for the derail. Just an issue that bugs me.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm the one that started this I guess, Its his choice who he wants to work for. But its your hunt and if you want a drink or two at the end of the day it's your vacation. I don't smoke but once in the while I'll smoke a cigar around a campfire. If your in the entertainment business you make people happy. If your on a fall Kodiak hunt your looking at 14 hrs in the tent, whiskey helps. Its your business do as you want just don't be suprised when you lose clients because of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted all over the world, including hunting grizzly in Alaska, in camp with Jake guiding other hunters. I have spent many 12-16 hour days hunting for years and years. I don't smoke or drink or do other drugs-never have. I don't need a smoke or a drink or any other drug to either celebrate a hunt, or to relax at the end of the day-be it Africa, Alaska, Mexico, the U.S., Europe or anywhere else. Some of you do. Many, many others here on AR do not as well-I believe that Saeed is one of them. Yes, you started it and you have your answer directly from the horse's mouth, although he answered this very same issue many years ago. Can't ask for more than the answer that you got. It's his business and he's been very successful at it for many, many years and I would bet that he will be for many, many years to come.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I recently booked a fairly expensive Nevada deer hunt and didn't think to ask about alcohol in camp. I guess I don't care, I'm going to deer hunt, not drink.

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do understand the no smoking nor drinking policy and i do know that one year i had to put out all guns of our hunters into a safer area for the reason that some cannot control the quantity of alcohol they used ... luckily nothing bad happened but that group was banned to hunt with us forever.

and it was only for barrend ground caribous hunting.

Posts: 1739 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you about drinking and hunting. Years ago I was scheduled to hunt pheasants on a property. We arrived and were getting ready to hunt when up pulled a carload of other hunters drinking. I told the property owner that if he allowed them to hunt, we were out of there and would never return to hunt there again. He told them to leave. They left. We continued our hunt. Guns and booze don't mix.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Funny - the only issue I have had is the guides getting hammered and not being worth a shit the next day.. This was in the US naturally...

Totally up to the outfitter.. I wont let anyone smoke in my house or truck..

I enjoy a drink after a day in the field but if am just as happy with a cup of coffee to be honest...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I’m sure many have seen those who can’t control themselves on hunts, I know I have including a friend I had no idea drank like he did.

As far as Mr. Jefferson’s hunts are concerned it’s his guiding business and his rules. If somebody doesn’t like it, shop elsewhere.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
Funny - the only issue I have had is the guides getting hammered and not being worth a shit the next day.. This was in the US naturally...

Totally up to the outfitter.. I wont let anyone smoke in my house or truck..

I enjoy a drink after a day in the field but if am just as happy with a cup of coffee to be honest...

I hunted with a PH in Zambia (very well known) who got so shit-faced, I REFUSED to ride with him on dark public roads. I told him "either I drive, or I'll walk back"

He reluctantly let me drive his rig home.

As to Jake's hunts; Yes it is his company and his prerogative to apply rules as he sees fit.

However, this is a message board, we all know how this stuff goes. If you don't want public comment, put it on FB where you can delete any negative stuff.

I am a non-smoker and haven't drank in 37 years. It would be my preference to avoid an outfitter with these kinda rules. To me, they show intolerance and where does that intolerance stop?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I placed my campfire so the smoke would drift and collect high up on the thatched roof which deters mosquitos and other undesirable bugs. There is a constant smoky smell around camp. I smoke but am wary of it around others.

It's Jake's camp and he calls the shots. Take it or leave it. My pet hate is a loaded rifle behind my back.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9873 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I placed my campfire so the smoke would drift and collect high up on the thatched roof which deters mosquitos and other undesirable bugs. There is a constant smoky smell around camp. I smoke but am wary of it around others.

It's Jake's camp and he calls the shots. Take it or leave it. My pet hate is a loaded rifle behind my back.

Have you ever had a client ask you to not smoke?

It’s been ~20 years since we did Bangweulu but don’t remember your smoking being an issue

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never understood drinking on these hunts. I can drink at home. I don’t need to the middle of nowhere to drink.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I specifically asked two different PHs in Africa not to smoke around me, especially in the bakkie. They agreed to do so for the entire hunt. Made the hunts very enjoyable. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

I specifically asked two different PHs in Africa not to smoke around me, especially in the bakkie. They agreed to do so for the entire hunt. Made the hunts very enjoyable. tu2

I had an incompetent, American PH in Tanzania a few years ago. He smoked in the cruiser, I asked him to refrain, he did. He smoked while tracking Buffalo, he smoked all the time. He told me while following Buffalo, “I pay no attention to the wind”.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

It’s been ~20 years since we did Bangweulu but don’t remember your smoking being an issue

No and I approach the subject first, especially in the confines of a car. Occasionally I will use cigarettes as a wind indicator.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I never understood drinking on these hunts. I can drink at home. I don’t need to the middle of nowhere to drink.

Each to their own and many clients will bring a good Scotch to the table to highlight their vacation and safari. But most appreciate a cold beer and the odd glass of fine South African wine around the campfire.

There are no stereotypes on safari.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I’ve hunted with Jake a couple times now and would not hesitate to hunt with him again. He’s a standup guy, great family man and a damn good guide.

Life is about choices. Jake has defined his and publicly puts it out there. How this is remotely a problem in a world where other options exist is beyond me.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

No and I approach the subject first, especially in the confines of a car. Occasionally I will use cigarettes as a wind indicator.

I get the use as a wind indicator. But this guy was oblivious to that.

He worked for Federico Gelinni. That right there says it all.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I remember a trip to Zambia where the alcohol got a bit out of hand

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have seen it both ways. Last guided hunt in WY. I had to get the guide up because of drinking. I was on another hunt and two hunters over consumed.
I have seen it as much or more with fishing.
I agree with Larry Shores, spend the kind of money it costs and the effort to get there and limit yourself.
The bottom line is with this Guide is his terms are up front and clear. If someone can't abide by them. Move on, no different than any other business transaction. It is a business transaction.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

Picture of ashersdad
posted Hide Post
I've been on 5 different hunts with Jake over the years. He is by far one of the best in the business and a pleasure to share a camp with. Most of his hunts are booked years in advance. Pretty sure he's not losing many clients to his no drinking/no smoking policy. Keep up the great work Jake!

Posts: 8 | Location: Happy Valley, OR | Registered: 01 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am big fan on mandating "REAL" training and proof of learning in order to own a gun. Much like getting a driver's license.

And look at all the idiot drivers out there.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Jake is the man. A great guy and great guide. No alcohol or smokes? Big deal. If that's your sticking point, go elsewhere. You want to shoot a big bear or nice Dall, book with Jake.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote