THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OUTFITTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts    Forced to Cancel Hunt, Great Deal on Plains Game in South Africa
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forced to Cancel Hunt, Great Deal on Plains Game in South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I'm okay with whatever he wants to do..........I'm not so sure that this outfitter needs the business from this........

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the status of this gents...but I am in for $400.
Let me know.
Best
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just emailed the outfitter. I will post his reply, if I receive it, as to why he would not refund a deposit in these circumstances.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011
posted Hide Post
Things are a little tight for me, however I'm in for $100.
Happy thanksgiving to all, what a special day to have found this thread.
I will make a special prayer and toast to you all with Thansgiving dinner with the family.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest and Carolinasman,

Put me down for whatever is left. Just let me know and I'll write the check.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the same outfitter that is offering a safari in this same forum? If so, I cannot believe he would not get on her to explain whay the deposit was not returned.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Is this the same outfitter that is offering a safari in this same forum? If so, I cannot believe he would not get on her to explain whay the deposit was not returned.

Jason, I'm not involved with the hunting industry in any way but I am a proprietor and these days I can't refund any non refundable deposits, it doesn't matter if its a single dollar.

We're aware of the clients circumstances and its terrible but we're not aware of the proprietors nor is it any of our business.

This internet thing is fun and very informative but it doesn't make us omnicient.

Posts: 9422 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The day we hide behind some obscure legalese or regulatory minutiae stopping us from doing the right thing...we're lost.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010
Picture of 416RugerDG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Personally I have no interest in ever booking a hunt with Bushwack Safaris. Their insistence on keeping a deposit under these circumstances is unconscionable and shows them to be completely without honor or integrity.

John, if you'll send me a private message or email to the address in my profile I'll compensate you for any loss you sustain on this deal. The last thing you should be worrying about right now is dealing with an unscrupulous safari operator.

Godspeed and best of luck to you. You're in my prayers.

ForrestB, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar... hats of to you...

Kevin Brits
For and on behalf of
TDK Safaris
Live The Dream

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
The day we hide behind some obscure legalese or regulatory minutiae stopping us from doing the right thing...we're lost.

Amen brother, amen.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:

The client rolled the dice and didn't get trip insurance. Why is it the right thing for the outfitter to subsidize that decision once it has gone south?

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
quote:

The client rolled the dice and didn't get trip insurance. Why is it the right thing for the outfitter to subsidize that decision once it has gone south?

I will tell you why: Because it's the right thing to do. Sure, by the letter of the so called contract legally, the Outfitter can and has got out of it.

However, there is a thing called common sense.

There are times when one of my customers has an issue (surely not as dire as the one we are discussing) and I am usually able to work with them. Often, I do not charge them (even though I could). It's called courtesy. It is definitely a word that is being forgotten in our society.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
And, friends, there is a BIG difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law needs to be applied here.

I asked Bushwack for a detailed explanation in the other thread in a non offensive manner. Let's see if he replies.

I'm with you gents, and count me in for a hundred or two for the Carolinasman's expenses. When it is sorted out, email me. Better yet, since many "terminal" cases are not that, let's have all of the kind hearted folks here use their generosity and the money to help buy a good SA hunt for Carolinasman. Many of you gents here on AR are the best on God's green earth. My hat's off to you all.

I'm sure we can find a good hunt at a better price as to trophy fees.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great stuff chaps.

Carolinasman you are welcome in my camp anytime and that is the least I can do.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
quote:

I will tell you why: Because it's the right thing to do.

We fundamentally disagree. Where is personal responsibility? People screw up and they expect others to make it right. I see this as no difference than bailing out people that lost money buying property and then asking the public to fund those bad decisions or asking people to fund poor decisions by those that are unwilling to work or to acquire skills needed to work. I think this behavior is a cancer.

That said, it's for every vendor to determine what is right for them in each situation.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We fundamentally disagree. Where is personal responsibility? People screw up and they expect others to make it right. I see this as no difference than bailing out people that lost money buying property and then asking the public to fund those bad decisions or asking people to fund poor decisions by those that are unwilling to work or to acquire skills needed to work. I think this behavior is a cancer.

That said, it's for every vendor to determine what is right for them in each situation.

This guy equates personal responsibility with a guy getting terminal cancer. Amazing. No wonder O'Bama got a second term with idiots like this running around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What money is the outfitter losing by refunding the deposit?

You can't compare it with real estate losses...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This thread and the comments on the thread in many ways represent the best and the worst that AR has to offer.

In my view the comments of bobgrow, Cal, Jason P and JG Raider sum it up, why refund the deposit, because it is the right thing to do, to heck with what the contract says.

Mike

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your comparison is ridiculous and your choice of words is pathetic.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Above is my post with a few thoughts (I screw up every time I try to post a quote). A gent in SA will offer Carolinasman a hunt. I will post it here tomorrow (remember I'm on AK time) and between all of the generous offers to help this gent, Carolinasman can have a good hunt with no worry about expense. I'm also waiting for bushwack to reply to my question as his reasoning for not refunding a deposit. While the matter originally was a private one it is now a public one due to the posting here on AR.
I will chat with you all tomorrow and let's try to help out where we can. If bushwack make the choice not to reply, we will know what many of already suspect.
Cheers to all you fine folks that offered your assistance.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
Above is my post with a few thoughts (I screw up every time I try to post a quote). A gent in SA will offer Carolinasman a hunt. I will post it here tomorrow (remember I'm on AK time) and between all of the generous offers to help this gent, Carolinasman can have a good hunt with no worry about expense. I'm also waiting for bushwack to reply to my question as his reasoning for not refunding a deposit. While the matter originally was a private one it is now a public one due to the posting here on AR.
I will chat with you all tomorrow and let's try to help out where we can. If bushwack make the choice not to reply, we will know what many of already suspect.
Cheers to all you fine folks that offered your assistance.
Cal

But he doesn't want to hunt, i offered the safari in the cancellation clause of his contract to be forwarded to him at a later stage, he want his deposit back...Cal, i didn't refused the hunt to him, i refused to pay back his deposit...so, why organizing other hunting safaris. Carolinasman have double standard now!!!

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quote from Bushleague:
But he doesn't want to hunt...

Carolinasman is in a hospital undergoing chemo for bladder cancer! You think he wouldn't rather be hunting...even with you?!
Your posts reveal more about your intelligence and character than you can possibly fathom.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
Above is my post with a few thoughts (I screw up every time I try to post a quote). A gent in SA will offer Carolinasman a hunt. I will post it here tomorrow (remember I'm on AK time) and between all of the generous offers to help this gent, Carolinasman can have a good hunt with no worry about expense.
Cal

'Forrest Gump' - please read above...

Patrick Reynecke
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Patrick you could
quote:

your Compassion and Humanity to your fellow man?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Looks like the whole Texas is after me..."they say everything is bigger in Texas", now i can see why...

Patrick Reynecke
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Isn't "bushwack" an Old Western name for ambush from behind? Jes askin? Whistling Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushwack:
Looks like the whole Texas is after me..."they say everything is bigger in Texas", now i can see why...

You are absolutely right, bigger hearts and a bigger sense of decency and common sense.

Intelligence is realizing that when you are in a hole . . . stop digging. I must say you are a piece of work. A unique business and marketing model for sure.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bushwack,

From Tennessee you look like a complete and utter FOOL that is lacking in so many respects....

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
quote:

Bushwack,

From Tennessee you look like a complete and utter FOOL that is lacking in so many respects....

Same perspective from Wyoming.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same from corrupt and bankrupt Illinois...

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say that here is a fellow South African who is ethically and morally bankrupt with the compassion of a mfezi. shame

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009
One of Us
Picture of TANGLEWOOD
posted Hide Post
bushwack:

I cant speak for my fellow hunters from Kentucky but all that have spoken to will take steps to avoid ever hunting with you. Count on it!!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Bushwack has offered his explanation on his post. I understand both the explanation and the legality of the contract. I also understand Carolinasman not taking the hunt at a later date due to his medical condition and the possible outcome. That said, I personally would put the spirit of the law ahead of the law's letters and refunded the gent's money even if it caused a loss on my part. And others here, too, would do the same as evidenced by the generous offers made.

All the words have been said that need to be said so let's get down to business.

Below is a post from a gent in SA. All read it, and Carolinasman read it too, as when you are up and about (keep positive) we can make a hunt work for you.

Posted 05 December 2012 13:00
Hi Cal

I like your idea to buy the hunt for Carolinasman.
I would like to offer my services here as I think it is a worthy cause.
If you are interested then perhaps you could administer the funds etc and make this happen.
I would like to keep this going each year, so try and figure out a way to do it annually.

I have dates open in January and February if he wants to move on this now. If he has a wish list let me know what it is and we can switch things up to make it happen.

What I can offer is as follows.

7 Hunting Days in KZN

1) No day rate on the hunt
2) 2 days Bushpig over hounds at no charge
3) Caracal over hounds at no charge
4) Common Reedbuck trophy ram at no charge
5) Blesbuck Ram at no charge

If you can pull together about USD 3000
we can add the following at cost without day rate.

1) Nyala Bull
2) Impala Ram
3) Warthog
4) Bushbuck
5) 1 day of wing shooting

I will collect Carolinasman from Durban airport, he must just get there the rest is taken care of.

This is a suggested hunt programme and he can change things up while here and also adjust the safari to his health needs etc.

If you want to get the trophies mounted then we can get an estimate from a taxidermist that can handle all the formalities etc.

Let me know your thoughts and lets make this happen.
Also please feel free to make comments or advise etc.
I have ensured that all hunting destinations are within 90 minutes of easy driving from the best hospitals in the province so should the person take a turn for the worse he would be within easy reach of good medical.
I would like to suggest that the funds gathered buy him a global rescue membership too so we have access to air lift

Kind regards
Ian

Ian Blakeway

The Box H Safaris Big Game Hounds & Specialist Hunting Outfitters

Dedicated to Hunting & Service Excellence!

Where Long Term Relationships are Valued!

Cell: 083 414 2446
Fax: 086 662 1632
mail: hunt@bushpighunt.co.za
Web: www.huntingtheboxh.co.za <http://www.huntingtheboxh.co.za>

Full Time, Licensed Hunting Outfitters & Professional Hunters

So fellas, what do you think? let's hear from Carolinasman first. When he is up and able, let's pool the funds for the major trophy fees as the day rate for the entire hunt was well as the minor critters have been covered. Ian Blakeway will take care of Carolinasman on his end and we an administer the funds on this end to give the gent a hand.

carolinasman--please reply to this forum or send me an email at pappas@mtaonline.net and we will work to make this happen. Again, keep positive thoughts. I know it may be difficult but every oncologist will state many terminal issues turn out not to be that. Let's focus on your recovery and WHEN you are able, go for the hunt and then vacation up here in Alaska for some fishing or caribou hunting, I will be your host, and join my mates and myself for an afternoon's shoot with some fine double rifles.

Ian, you are a true gentleman to step up to the plate with your offer. You will be known and remembered well on this forum.

So, fellas, what say you all? Can we make this thing work?
Cheers to you gents, you are the best AR has to offer.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like the good folks everywhere all agree on this subject, in this case even with us Texans. Smiler It takes a real man to admit he's wrong, and do the right thing, know what I mean?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cal pappas. Nice work on organizing this. I'm in for a piece when the time arrives. Thanks for caring, and God Bless Carolinaman in his journey.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
bushwack:

I cant speak for my fellow hunters from Kentucky but all that have spoken to will take steps to avoid ever hunting with you. Count on it!!

Samething here from Pennsylvania. I've been to Africa 8 times and will go again in 2013. Bushwack Safaris will not be considered - EVER.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005
One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
Hi All
Cal thanks for posting this and volunteering to manage things from your side.
I have seen my fair share of cancer and it is nasty as cat shit.
Dont underestimate the energy it saps from your body and soul.

One thing that people must not forget is that 80% of the cancers are 100% curable.
Carolinasman, you hang in there. You will hunt again and get to watch the sun set over an African horizon. Its all in the mind, tell cancer to take a hike.

If Carolinasman decides not to take the offer up he is welcome to use it later or auction it off to cover some of his bills. All trophies outside of what I can give will be paid at cost so if there is money left over after the safari it goes to Carolinasmans hospital bills or he can pass it on to next years fund.

I think that this is a worthy cause so lets keep it going and make this an annual event.

I will be as flexible as I can so the basic outline of the safari can be changed up to suit his needs and wishes.

It is indeed heartening to see that even today when the world seems to be less humane than ever before, there are people who still care.

Regards
Ian

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 794 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very stand up. Here is an outfitter worthy of consideration!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Ian,

Good to se that there are gentlemen like you still in this business.

If ever in Zambia give me a call.

Cheers

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good job Cal.