THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Airline travel with Ruger No 1

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline travel with Ruger No 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to RSA next year, and wants to bring my Ruger no 1. When flying with firearms, vital parts should be removed from the gun. What is considered a vital part for the Ruger No 1? Do I need to remove the breach-block, or would removing the hammer and mainspring unit do the trick? My main consern is the possibility of loosing some of the small parts (ejektor plunger etc) if the breachblock and loading lever is removed.

As i have seen i some posts, many of you are traveling to Afrikan countries with Ruger no1s.
How do you take care of the issue of vital parts?

Posts: 28 | Location: Northwest Coast, Norway | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I never remove ANY vital parts. Leave the firearm assembled and ready to use.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Do not remove anything from your Ruger No. 1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not taken any vital parts off any of my rifles and I can't even count how many flights I've been on with rifles.
As Tom said, leave it ready to use, just check it 10 times to make sure it's unloaded.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I consider "vital parts" to be ammunition. I never travel with a round in the chamber. Do not travel with a round in the chamber and you will be perfectly legal.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 931 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Been to Africa several times with my #1. Just throw it in the case and go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 No issues at all with my No. 1 in either RSA or Zim.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been out of country with guns.
But, first part of July I flew American from CO Spgs to Jacksonville and back.
They never opened my gun case not even once.

I had two bolt rifles and two revolvers. Took the bolts out and laid them beside the action.

They sure inspected my suitcase both ways though. I hadn't been able to locate qty of ammo. So I had 14.5lbs of it and rules say: 11#max. The TSA guy and I mixed n matched boxes best we could w/o opening any. And came up with 11.5#, he ok'd that.

When I got it opened at destination; found a 100rn box of .45 Colts had been thrown back in the suitcase and had opened, scattered ammo all over the bottom. That makes it obvious to me it don't make any difference really. There's just a/h's trying to make a point.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Maral,

If I am not mistaken Scandanavian Air requires the bolt be removed from a rifle and shipped in separate luggage from the rifle. If you are flying SAS this is a valid question to which I have no answer. It is doubtful the airline could or would help. You may try a local travel agent the books Africa hunts like a Norwegian version of Gracy Travel.

All of the responses have been in the context of American travel. We do not have this restriction nor does South Africa Air, nor is it a requirement of the SA police to travel with the bolt removed. It is an SAS requirement.

http://www.flysas.com/en/jp/Tr...al-baggage/?vst=true

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I would take a bolt from another rifle and pack it with your #1.

Just give them what they want.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Agree with what others have said about doing nothing to it.

I took my No. 1 to RSA last year and had no issues at all.

Took it to Zambia this year and through Joburg. No issues at all.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I would take a bolt from another rifle and pack it with your #1.

Just give them what they want.

Wink

Funny but very true. They would never know the difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
I've never been out of country with guns.
But, first part of July I flew American from CO Spgs to Jacksonville and back.
They never opened my gun case not even once.

I had two bolt rifles and two revolvers. Took the bolts out and laid them beside the action.

They sure inspected my suitcase both ways though. I hadn't been able to locate qty of ammo. So I had 14.5lbs of it and rules say: 11#max. The TSA guy and I mixed n matched boxes best we could w/o opening any. And came up with 11.5#, he ok'd that.

When I got it opened at destination; found a 100rn box of .45 Colts had been thrown back in the suitcase and had opened, scattered ammo all over the bottom. That makes it obvious to me it don't make any difference really. There's just a/h's trying to make a point.

George

Delta will not allow more than two firearms in a case; AA allows 3 rifles/shotguns or 5 pistols/revolvers.

I got burned on this rule on Delta, but they gave me a pass; I had two rifles and a handgun.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Delta allows up to four rifles or shotguns per case now. I flew with three in my Tuffpak in May with no problems.

Look in the rifles and shotgun section of the page in this link. Itis about halfway down.

http://www.delta.com/traveling...t/index.jsp#shooting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good you posted Mike; my experience happened a few years ago, proving you should always check the rules!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote