New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emirates bargains
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you that are going to Africa this year and might like a great flight at a really good price, Emirates has reduced fares on their business class tickets from DFW to Joburg, Cape Town or Harrare until 1/25/16. We are heading back to Zim in August and booked our biz class tickets this past Monday...really reasonable. We flew Emirates a couple of months ago (business class) from DFW thru Dubai and it was very, very nice.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl did you have any problems going through Dubai with rifles and ammunition ? In the magazine Australian and International Trophy Hunter some Aussies transiting Dubai on a hunt had problems . Two weeks before they left for the trip they were told they could not take ammunition through . They ended up having to pay for one of their number to go via Turkey carrying their ammunition .

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
For those of you that are going to Africa this year and might like a great flight at a really good price, Emirates has reduced fares on their business class tickets from DFW to Joburg, Cape Town or Harrare until 1/25/16. We are heading back to Zim in August and booked our biz class tickets this past Monday...really reasonable. We flew Emirates a couple of months ago (business class) from DFW thru Dubai and it was very, very nice.

Karl:

Why sue Delta Airlines for not flying big 5 trophies trophies but personally pitch Emirates also an airline that has banned big 5 trophies?

As DSC member and Delta shareholder I hate that my dues are paying for in my opinion frivolous litigation against Delta.

Sorry to rain in on the Emirates parade.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
We also booked with Emirates. Got my rifle permits to transfer Dubai in 24 hours. And really good prices

Posts: 50 | Location: Sask Canada | Registered: 13 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
I'm flying Emirates in April...fingers crossed for no issues. I talked to a customer service rep the other day who made it sound like once the online forms and paperwork are completed it should be smooth sailing...I hope.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How much is "really reasonable" from Dallas to JNB?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E

As DSC member and Delta shareholder I hate that my dues are paying for in my opinion frivolous litigation against Delta.

I must have missed it, where did you get your law degree?

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E

I must have missed it, where did you get your law degree?

Florida State - Do we have to rank law schools and first year grades (mine were terrible) Cool

Mike

PS - sorry I was posting in your thread first time around

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So please share with us your understanding of the law in this area and why you believe the case is frivolous.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I put in the other thread I was talking to our agent Riana at Frosch Travel at DSC and she told me the same thing.

For not too much more than we paid for British Airways Premium Economy seats last year we could go on Emirates Business Class.

BA did a good enough job with the rifles and ammo without a lot of hassle and I am sure Emirates would do as well. The Emirates business class would be a nicer trip too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
So please share with us your understanding of the law in this area and why you believe the case is frivolous.

It frivolous cause I called Delta IR and asked them about it. They were clueless about it. They finally got back to me after checking with legal a few days later and said it is something that will be handled and litigation costs are not material.

Given that I knew that an earlier social media driven ban was rejected by delta because of a few AR members and SCI political skill (probably the only time I have seen SCI effective on hunting policy). Delta was a pro hunting airlines. Go listen to 2Q 2015 earnings call and they talk about how profitable the joburg flight is and anyone who has flown it knows the number of guns and hunters it carries in hunting season. Delta did not join AAL and UAL and other major international airlines in the ban till Cecil came along. They are not going to just give up on this litigation cause public opinion has changed that is reality - it will be litigated for a long time.

I read the plaintiffs complaint - nice PR - should have been done when cecile was in the news not in a court filing. Since then lion is off limit.

We demand NRA type single focused allegiance to the african trophy hunting cause but no one is serious. I will fly delta or emirates over south african (a more pro hunter in transporting trophies) airline if fares are cheaper, frequent flyer miles or easier connections. Nearly all other AR members will do the same.

Specialized lawyers will litigate the common carrier issue and Delta can easily spend millions of dollars - its a rounding error when you have $4 bil. cash of balance sheet. Competent litigation is not cheap as you know - how much will DSC spend of its budget litigating DAL?

We can all make a calculated guess on the outcome and spend the next year becoming experts on common carrier law. But the reality is no one is serious about the issue. If we were we would demand a boycott of all airlines who don't carry big 5 trophies.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Karl:

Why sue Delta Airlines for not flying big 5 trophies trophies but personally pitch Emirates also an airline that has banned big 5 trophies?

Sorry to rain in on the Emirates parade.

Mike

No rain ion the parade and I'm not "pitching" Emirates (or any other airline, but if you would care to look, I have in the past posted pretty much the same thing regarding Delta), I merely put the info out there for others to see and take advantage of if that is their choice...just like some folks post regarding sales on ammo or reloading components.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Karl, kudos to DSC for taking on Delta on this issue . . . screw Delta and the Delta shareholders in my view . . . Wish SCI, DSC and others would use more dues money to fight anti-hunting efforts such as this. tu2

Mike

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

How much is "really reasonable" from Dallas to JNB?

For grins,I checked.
6-14 AUG DFW to JNB round trip

$3800 USD on Emirates Business

vs

$1300 on Qatar in economy
$1500 Emirates in economy
$2200 Delta in economy

that said....
YMMV
taxes,tags, dealer prep not included
must be present to win
offer not valid in all states
prices slightly higher in alsaka and hawaii
Big Grin

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've never flown business or first class in my life, and likely never will. Wonder which of these airlines have the best economy.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duckear. That's about what I thought the difference would be.

FWIW, round trip to WDH Namibia from Dallas cost me $2200 with Delta comfort + on the bulkhead row 29.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I've never flown business or first class in my life, and likely never will. Wonder which of these airlines have the best economy.

Delta Economy Comfort is pretty nice and well worth the upcharge.

But nowhere near First or Business.
Only flown up front twice. Both were miles upgrades.
Last time was when I took my wife on a trip this summer for our anniversary. Upgraded to business with miles.
When flying business, your vacation starts the minute you finish with the TSA goons. The flight was a very nice part of the trip, not just a necessary evil.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karl. About a $1,200 drop from early December. Been putting off booking - glad I did.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Enlighten me. I am booking a Zim elephant hunt for July and Emirates Air has some advantages: it's about 1000$ less expensive and I avoid an overnight in Jo'burg. But, I hate the thought of flying into a Muslim country and are there any issues with taking a firearm? Any permits required? (I'd late to lose my .600 Wilkes because I didn't have the requirements in order).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

The issues is that they may not allow you to take your guns and offer no explanation. Gracy Travel had 2 clients refused last year. In safari travel "it probably will be fine" is not good enough for me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Maybe the folks booking through Gracy would be well advised to use Steve Turner. I have never heard of anyone having their rifles refused for transport on Emirates. Certainly never an issue on any of my five flights on Emirates to Harare. I suspect there is more to the story than just a no explanation refusal to accept the rifles, e.g., late application for transit permit, other.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
no problems with emirates or UAE as long as you have the necessary docs/papers from the AIRPORT police in Dubai. I did them myself and all was good when flying with firearms to the UK.
IT would be no different when flying through to Zim.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Steve Turner last June flew emirates not a problem at all checked in at DFW went all the way through no problem. Smooth both ways but Steve made sure everything was done and was great best trip I have done by far. Doing the same trip same way in May.

Posts: 603 | Registered: 16 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I flew Emirates last July Houston to Harare with the overnight in Dubai.

Steve Turner at Travel with Guns set it all up, got the permits for Dubai etc. Checked the rifles in Houston and picked them up in Harare. The permits for Dubai are a lot less of a pain than SAPS in RSA.

I have never had more efficient and smooth African travel than with Emirates. The Emirates people in Houston were extremely efficient and helpful. IN Dubai even though I only speak English, there was never a problem. The only trouble we had were a lost bag on the way back from Zimbabwe, but that's Africa.

I highly recommend Emirates and even more highly recommend Steve Turner.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Turner would be a good option but he does not get back to you if you are not from the US. Wish we had someone in Canada who could help the average guy who likes to hunt internationally. But guess I'll just keep doing it myself. Makes it part of the adventure! Lol

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote