THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    IMPORTANT - new ammo policy flying to S.A.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMPORTANT - new ammo policy flying to S.A.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! You of course would have shot it all up in camp if there ever was a question.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark _ I meant, can you just leave it at the airport if you get the hassle there and they want you to ship it on it's own?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Yeah! You of course would have shot it all up in camp if there ever was a question.

Mark

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
How secure do the lockable boxes have to be? For instance, is a really cheap tacklebox acceptable? I saw a $10 tacklebox at Dick's Sporting good that had a place for a lock. However it was really flimsy.

I looked at Walmart and didn't see the cashbox that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking one of my S&W blue plastic pistol cases might be perfect. Has anybody been told their box isn't secure enough?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by Sue:
I just think it is easier to go ahead and get the lockable ammo box and use it. Go to the highest level that has crossed their minds. If they don't require it, that's fine. If they do, I'm covered.

Now, if they decide on some new happy crap like "must be covered in 'Dora the Explorer' stickers," then I'll have a problem.

That is right Sue, it is all about making your life easier! Why tempt fate?

You and both know know that if they did require the "Dora the Explorer" stickers, you (me too) would cover the ammo box in stickers!

No reason to make life difficult on yourself when complying is so easy.

The liberals must love you guys.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Received the same notice from SAA via the NAPHA office.

My advice pack the ammo in a lockable metal container; some SAA rep who got out on the wrong side of bed will be sure to make a issue.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused about "lockable". Does this generically lockable or lockable with a TSA approved lock. I have a small pistol case that I could use, but I have no way of attaching a TSA lock to it.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
I'm a little confused about "lockable". Does this generically lockable or lockable with a TSA approved lock. I have a small pistol case that I could use, but I have no way of attaching a TSA lock to it.

Either or as long as it can lock, SAA's main concern is theft of loose ammo or if you luggage gets damaged ammo flying all over the floor. It is merely a safety precaution.

With the run-up to the 2010 Soccer World Cup and airport security being paramount I think we can expect more regulations like this.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry - probably the easiest way of doing it.

The problem always seems to originate when you leave South Africa - check-in agents are always reading the rules different to anyone else.

I highly recommend you take a copy of the official SAA rulings, which is printed on their letterhead, with you and if check-in agent says must be tagged seperately show them the letter.

Of course this may anger the check-in agent because you know better than them - so really if they are going to check as a 3rd piece of baggage and not charge you - go for it!

Below is the actual working from the SAA announcement regarding international travel :

Ammunition may be carried within checked luggage, provided that it is securely packed in a lockable or secure container, and that the total weight does not exceed 5kg’s of ammunition per passenger carrying a firearm. (In general, most airlines allow the carriage of ammunition in terms of the dictums of ICAO Dangerous Goods Standards and associated airline processes followed in terms of IATA requirements/guidance).
DO NOT pack ammunition loosely in checked baggage.

Hope this helps.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the most dumn arse logic I have ever heard! If someone wants to steal it they will take the frigging entire box and go....

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just returned from RSA in august - going no problem with ammo in checked luggage. On the return flight at check in they made me take the ammo out (it was in a Pelican 1200 case- locked) and they put it thru as a third piece of checked luggage and did not charge me for it.
Crazy but I wasn't going to make a big deal out if it and when I arrived at Dulles there was my little ammo case waiting for me. I flew BA and talking to them it wasn't their idea but the South African airports great wisdom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned and had no problems. Flew Delta and SAA (in country) left Pittsburgh Pa and TSA didn't open either gun case or baggage with ammo. In Richards Bay told them guns and they only looked at the gun case to see if it did in fact contain 2 guns. Police checked guns for obtaining permit on arrival and Delta security took charge of guns on leaving Joberg and the police never opened the case to check guns and never took back SAPS paper work. No one ever ask about ammo other than was it seperate from guns (Delta people) and SAA never ask. It is different each trip. Go figure one must remember we are dealing with TSA and Africians. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote