New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flight Pricing Tracking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm headed back to Namibia next July 2016. It is obviously the more expensive time of the year to hunt, but my buddy and son are going with me and their schedule is not as flexible as mine.

Question: Is there some type of flight service/website that can send pricing updates to you once dates are selected? Reason being, I check googleflights a couple times a week, and occasionally there are some good deals (specifically interested in Delta only) for a day or two, then price may get jacked up $500 almost overnight.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a website called "expert flyer.com" where you can check availability by fare bucket and also frequent flyer redemption availability. I believe the full site costs about $10 a month but you can get some info for free.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are flying with guns and want to avoid NYC, then Atlanta and Delta is about your best choice. Unfortunately, that time of year is always busy and most of the flights are full to near full 3 to 4 weeks in advance. If you want Economy Comfort, you should book as soon as possible as those seats go quickly. Otherwise, there really is no price advantage of booking any more than three to four months out. It is really a seat choice decision.

While booking agents can get deals on SSA, BA, Emirates, and Lufthansa from time to time, they generally do not get much of a break on Delta.

Also, don't forget that JNB to WDH is also very busy that time of year so make sure you book in advance on SAA. I stay at the City Hotel and then take SAA flight 74 which get into Windhoek around 10:30 - 11:00. I generally spring for First Class as you can get through Customs in Namibia quicker.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second Opus, however if you're traveling with Firearms, there's no point in getting through customs early in Namibia. Having traveled there, 10+ times, I've never had my guns cleared by the police before, everyone, and I mean everyone has gotten through and out of baggage claim area.

First Class is always nice, but won't help you on that front!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely true. If you travel with guns it is slooow but I will say the Namibian Customs folks are very cordial and admittedly very, very, very lenient.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JG here is what I saw last year - but unfortunately it is not on Delta.

That July -ish and summer time period is the high time of the year.

About February or so last year there were some pretty inexpensive flights in Economy up through Paris to JoBurg and then you would have to add the Windhoek flight. This was on Air France. I think also South African also had some pretty cheap flights. And it also depended some on the days you went and returned. But the prices were for July when we were leaving.

And then about September 15 air prices go down again.

If you are booking in Premium Economy or in Business then the fares really didn't change that much.

Beings we were going on British Airways and in Premium Economy and Business then it didn't make too much difference.

We were first off the plane in Windhoek and our luggage too but I am pretty sure we were the last out in to the terminal. There was no issue with the rifles it just took a while, and it took the one other guy whose case they had first a really long time.

I know if was just me going with out my wife and family along I would look into those next time.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. You guys clearing firearms in WH mirrors mine. I know what to expect with Delta EC, and will likely stay with that. Both City Lodge and Africa Sky are great.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote