New
Find
Notify
Tools

New procedures ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just checked in at the Orlando airport headed to Zim. My last I international trip with guns was about 2 weeks ago . As such, I was surprised to hear there were new procedures.

The process was much more involved. It took more time. Apparently it applies to flights heading to Africa or Brazil. It wasn't that big of a deal. However, it did take time.

One thing I definitely noticed is that they wanted the 4457 at the time of check in. They took the serial numbers down. They had to notify the pilot. They send the details to Johannesburg. The CAGPT sticker had some information recorded on it. They had just been stickers before.

They were not rude. It was new to them. They didn't want to screw up. I get that. My guess is that it took about 20 minutes longer than normal.

I would plan accordingly.

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks...news to me. Wonder what that's all about. Maybe sending that info ahead gives the baggage folks in RSA time to determine if your rifle is worth stealing. They don't want to waste their time with Mossbergs and Savages! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did have a little conversation with them about this issue. Their opinion was that this would make it more likely for you guns to make it.

It clearly shows they are paying attention. It may be a good thing .

Posts: 11987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Which airline Larry?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta