THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Lufthansa to Frankfurt, SAA to JBerg and Bulawayo, any issues?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lufthansa to Frankfurt, SAA to JBerg and Bulawayo, any issues?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
It looks like my travel agent is going to have me go LAX to Frankfurt on Luthansa and then I go SAA to J'Berg and continue to Bulawayo.

I haven't seen the itinerary yet but from what I understand I will ned at least 4 hours to get through J'Berg. Will I need an S.A. import/rifle permit if I transfer directly to Bulawayo and don't spend the night in SA?

Does anyone know of any other special requirements for either Lufthansa or switching airlines in Frankfurt?

Thanks all.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Frank,

As you'll be going through an EU country, don't forget that they have an arms embargo to Zim so make sure you have one set of tickets to take you to Jo'burg and a completely separate set to take you from Jo'burg to Zim.

Germany doesn't always enforce that ban but better to be safe than sorry.

Because of that, you will have to collect your firearms at Jo'burg and re-check them in for your onward flight. I'd recommend you consider using either aubs458 or PHASA for that. ( details here)

You also need to bear in mind that the EU now has a ruling where no ammo whatsoever may be carried on flights out of the EU (details here )..... technically, there's an unofficial waiver to that for sporting ammo but try to get it in writing that they will carry your sporting rifle and ammo and take that with you when you travel.

I'd recommend you allow at least 4 hours and more if at all possible.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, you've always got great advice.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Always a pleasure Frank...... if you find you have time on your hands once you've checked in for the flight to HRE, you might like to consider the Premier Club lounge..... it's reasonably cheap, has TV, comfortable seating, showers, internet access, free drink and snacks and even a smoking room and (IMO) beats the shit out of all the other lounges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lufthanse is a pain in the ass if you travel with guns. They make allways big blabla and they take 70€ handling fee (depending on flight-route) for the gun. 70€ for handling and they forgot my gun in frankfurt Roll Eyes

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I've also had to pay this Euro 70- fee per gun, this after a booking on United but operated by Lufthansa. United washed all hands of the affair, Lufthansa made a big stink about it not being pre-approved -- but finally did a last minute approval (was either pay or they ain't going). Just another money making business and aggravation to the pax = BS. Of course, where you originate from probably has their own 'special' rules that nobody is told about. They ought to apply the same 'rules' to golf clubs, scuba or ski gear, fishing rods, etc.

Pretty soon you'll board the aircraft and see two rails with handholds, you ask the flight attendant where's my seat? They respond, oh, you wanted a seat? Didn't anybody tell you if you wanted a seat you have to pay extra! Roll Eyes Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
These bloody surcharges drive me crazy but they ain't gonna go away.

One should also remember that some airlines, notably BA require 72 hours of someone travelling with a firearm.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a new option:

UA #82 dep LAX 1045pm arr JFK 7am
SA #204 dep JFK 1115am arr JNB 840am
SA #8110 dep JNB 1145am arr BUQ 110pm

SA #8111 dep BUQ 155pm arr JNB 330pm
LH #573 dep JNB 645pm arr FRA 520am
LH #456 dep FRA 955am arr LAX 230pm

I only have to use Lufthansa on the way back and I won't bring any ammunition home.

Since I'm staying in the international terminal at Jo'Berg is 3 hours enough time for the transfer to Bulawayo?

Can I check my luggage straight through to Bulawayo at LAX?

Frank

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I'd recommend you check with your travel agent that you can check your baggage all the way through but I think, Yes & yes. Smiler

Sounds like a much better plan to me. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made three trips on Lufthansa in the past year. All trips , non-stop, originating in Denver. Change planes in Frankfurt. And with guns and ammo. Since they see so few hunters at the station in Denver, the Luftansa always seems flustered by guns being checked. And each trip , something has gone wrong and something has gone in my favor. The first trip was to Croatia for a Roebuck hunt. I had to tell the Luftansa people how to check guns. They were about to just trough the gun case on the conveyor, with out sending in through TSA first. They got a porter, before I knew it, he took off with the case, while the boarding passes were printing. He ran outside with the case. First I thought he stole it. By the time I made it out the door, he had loaded the case on the large item conveyor it took an hour to retrieve the case and get it checked by TSA. In the confusion, I didn't get charged for a gun or a second piece of luggage. Travel agents recommend that you get a German temporary gun permit just in case you have to lay over in Frankfurt. The Frankfurt airport is huge but easy to navigate. Lots of construction going on as well.