New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania Plastic Bag Ban
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Apparently for all travellers coming in !

https://www.atta.travel/news/2...lastic-bags-by-july/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be odd to drive through a town in Africa without black plastic bags wafting in the wind and decorating the trees :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes, same as in Kenya as it states. Multi-use bags are OK (zip-locs, etc), but even on the plane into Nairobi they instruct you to leave any plastic bags. On the customs card it says any bag under 30 mil is prohibited. They seem to get along just fine without them though, and while I didn’t see any bags stuck in trees, based on what I did see littering the place, a plastic bottle ban can’t be far behind.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The absolute worst plastic bag landscape I have ever seen is the plain between the airport and the city of Sanaa (or Sana'a but I can't get the backword apostrophe to work) in Yemen. Years of windblown trash cover the landscape.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
The absolute worst plastic bag landscape I have ever seen is the plain between the airport and the city of Sanaa (or Sana'a but I can't get the backword apostrophe to work) in Yemen. Years of windblown trash cover the landscape.

I suspect it's got nothing on Midland Texas a couple of years back when oil was $120 a barrel and every little town in West Texas looked like the gold rush days of the old west. The open fields along I-20 around Midland were solid with white WallMart bags tumbling along the ground with the wind.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let us see.

Travelers buying items in duty free are packed in plastic carrier bags.

Water and other soft drinks are packaged in plastic bottles.

Will be interesting how this works out!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66984 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Let us see.

Travelers buying items in duty free are packed in plastic carrier bags.

Water and other soft drinks are packaged in plastic bottles.

Will be interesting how this works out!

Yes, those duty-free plastic bags littered the floor of the plane at Nairobi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has this been enforced in Kenya ?
Just my luck flying into Tanzania at the end of June. I keep my boots etc. in plastic bags for example.
Better not chance it I guess...........

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
In 11 days I saw one, count it, one what we would call a Walmart style grocery bag. Lots and lots of other trash...but no plastic bags flying like flags in the trees.

I don’t know about enforcement. No one ever checked me. Knowing what I do now, I’d find some tensil or light cotton bags for my boots. I used a TAG game bag for my laundry, worked great. Speaking of laundry, at one lodge, instead of the plastic laundry bags you see at hotels, they had nicely printed cotton bags with a tie string. Much better and less wasteful.

At first the plastic ban seemed like overreach, but seeing how it has kept the bags from floating about the country, I’m thinking they are ahead of the game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One great project for the U.N. would be to start a discussion on the problem of one use plastic. A scourge to the whole planet as it stands now. Banning would be a huge challenge but would afford some great business opportunities. Wherever you travel it is a problem. Start at Everest and go to sea level.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote