THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    How soon should a I book a flight

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How soon should a I book a flight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Planning to go to SA in Sept 2015

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Use a consolidator and do it now. At least that is how it used to be. You are right to ask!

Posts: 4851 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
September is a busy month so if you are after a particular seat (bulkhead, Economy Comfort, etc) then you should book well in advance - like now.

If you want the best price, then you should wait until 45-35 days beforehand. As fuel prices drop, airfare will also drop, but far more slowly. But you may wind up in the middle of a row in the back of the plane.

Consolidators only can only do so much on US carriers like Delta. On international carriers like SAA they have a little more pricing latitude, so it's a good idea to check both.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I like to get it over with. Angst is a killer of enjoyable anticipation. I buy the ticket and then immediately forget what I paid for it (saving a buck or overpaying some???) What's a couple of hundred bucks of perhaps tens of thousands.

And... earlier is better for seat selection. A bulkhead comfort economy seat is much better than being stuck in the middle row of steerage, IMHO.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I like to get it over with. Angst is a killer of enjoyable anticipation. I buy the ticket and then immediately forget what I paid for it (saving a buck or overpaying some???) What's a couple of hundred bucks of perhaps tens of thousands.

And... earlier is better for seat selection. A bulkhead comfort economy seat is much better than being stuck in the middle row of steerage, IMHO.

Great advice.

I book as soon as I know my hunt dates.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked my flight for a late May early July sable hunt in Zimbabwe soon after I knew the dates on Emirates. I was surprised that some flight were full or nearly full at this early date. Lucked out and got exactly what I wanted. Why wait once you are committed to a safari date and have your flight sold out and have to scramble to find flight that will work if is is available at all.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I book ASAP, but I use points to fly Business Class and those go quickly.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to book now my co hunters want to wait. This started as my trip. I think one of the guy's are going to bail. I;m hunting. one of my party is afraid of ebola. I'm making plans this week thanks Bruce

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afraid of Ebola? Does he own a map?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
Maybe explain to him that sitting in New York, he's about the same distance from Sierra Leone than what Port Elizabeth, South Africa is.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Book now sounds like one is going to bail and the other one is thinking about it. Waiting on them to make a decision could place you in an difficult spot air travel wise.

quote:
Originally posted by bbruce:
I want to book now my co hunters want to wait. This started as my trip. I think one of the guy's are going to bail. I;m hunting. one of my party is afraid of ebola. I'm making plans this week thanks Bruce

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
What my travel agent indicated is you want to book 6 to 15 month out and let them look for the best prices. Let the travel agent look at leaving times to help in obtaining good pricing.

For you, you should let your 2 traveling companions know that you will be booking your flight and that if they would like to sit as a group together that they need to be ready to make the purchase.

You all should use the same travel agent, book a window and 2 aisle seats so you are next to each other and can chat and change seats if you elect.

Window seat is good for sleeping.

If your friends are going to bail on you, it is good to know it now rather than later.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I normally book 6 months out or more. My wife and I hunted RSA in September this year and booked our tickets in March. I did notice all the bulkhead seats were already taken but, nearly two thirds of the aircraft was empty.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What worked for me:

I got a time range from my outfitter, then had my travel agent find the best fare in that range---once I booked my cheapest flight then I locked in my hunting dates---this was all 10-12 months before Hunt.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get it done asap. You WILL want to get a bulkhead seat on the window before they are all gone. I booked two weeks ago for a flight to RSA the first week of May, 2015.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 3-4 months before.I booked a window seat yesterday on SAA.I will leave the bulkhead for someone that really needs it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bbruce,

Being a booking agent I hear pretty often that the guy I'm talking to is committed but 2-3 others are a maybes and they can't all agree on what to do etc. I'll tell you what I tell my clients. If you want to go book it and if the others get on board fine but don't let the other guys jeopardize your adventure.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great advise

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
bbruce,

Being a booking agent I hear pretty often that the guy I'm talking to is committed but 2-3 others are a maybes and they can't all agree on what to do etc. I'll tell you what I tell my clients. If you want to go book it and if the others get on board fine but don't let the other guys jeopardize your adventure.

Mark