New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maun via JoBerg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Starting the process of returning to Bots. Has anyone done this route lately?

The last time I went this route, upon leaving Maun, I had a several hours layover in Joberg on the way out to the States. While I had to go in and out of RSA customs, my kit and guns sat in a holding area. AS I was leaving Bots, the Bots customs officials were very direct in their warning about the security of my guns and kit as it sat in Joberg awaiting my flight back to the States.

Any current intel on this route, and the attendant issues going through Joberg would be greatly appreciated.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bots customs guys were correct in their warning about OR Tambo, we went thru OR Tambo two weeks ago going to and returning from Moz. Had 5 hour layover one way and 3 hour on the other. Bags broken into both ways, had wheeler screwdriver kit and deodorant stolen one way and socks on the return. Just expect it if you have to transit and have a layover. I’ll avoid that place any way I can but some destinations are hard to get to any other way.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would avoid that shit hole called Johannesburg at any cost!

I am absolutely certain it is a government organized crime place.

They did stop it during the FIFA world cup!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
The Bots customs guys were correct in their warning about OR Tambo, we went thru OR Tambo two weeks ago going to and returning from Moz. Had 5 hour layover one way and 3 hour on the other. Bags broken into both ways, had wheeler screwdriver kit and deodorant stolen one way and socks on the return. Just expect it if you have to transit and have a layover. I’ll avoid that place any way I can but some destinations are hard to get to any other way.

I solved the luggage problem with a large Samsonite suitcase that has a combination lock at the handle and no zippers. It’s more than large enough for both mine and my wife”s clothes, so we check 1 bag with an AirTag inside.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I solved the luggage problem with a large Samsonite suitcase that has a combination lock at the handle and no zippers. It’s more than large enough for both mine and my wife”s clothes, so we check 1 bag with an AirTag inside.

My wife and I both have Samsonite hardside luggage as described above. Got it years ago after having been robbed by the baggage handlers in either OR Tambo or at Vic Falls. Never had a problem since. Currently we also have the Pelican Air 1615 hardside luggage and the Pelican Air 1535 Traveler Carry Ons. Any luggage with zippers leaves you wide open to the thieves and they are professionals at splitting the zippers, stealing your goods, and then sliding the zipper tags back and forth and sealing them again. You never know that you've been robbed until you get to your destination or home and realize what's happened. If you travel with zippered luggage-BEWARE-you are at FULL risk and you must individually accept the consequences. Filing baggage theft claims in Africa is as worthless as tits on a chicken and you will get nowhere.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
In addition to the Samsonite, I think the Pelican Air 1615 would be pretty theft proof. Stoutly built with multiple locking points, it’s about as close to bulletproof as you can get with airline luggage.

But the best theft prevention is to simply avoid Jo’burg whenever possible.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it a TSA combination lock on the samsonite hard side?

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a TSA combination lock on the samsonite hard side?

Yes. On ours there are two combination TSA locks on either side of the opening of suitcase. You set your combination and lock it. TSA has access through a TSA key hole located in each combination lock. Our Pelican 1535 Carry Ons also have two TSA locks that are keyed, not combination locks. Pelican provides you two new keys for your Carry On that also has two built in TSA locks, but TSA can access them with a master TSA key.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
What is the empty weight on these 2 cases? That’s always been my problem with hard cases - they weight 10-15 pounds empty. Going through JNB tomorrow/Sat and have 6 hour layover on way home and will probably get robbed. Usually put nothing but clothes and toiletries in the bag and anything valuable in gun case or carry on.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Samsonite is 12-13, giving a pretty good payload. Not sure on the new Pelicans. There has been much written here in the effectiveness of a ballpoint pen in defeating any zipper in seconds. My sense is that the cameras that were operational during the World Cup not longer function or are turned off. Maybe the later!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have the model number or name for the Samsonite suitcase?

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Samsonite currently has its S'Cure hardside Spinner luggage. 11.2 pounds. Type in the best hardside luggage with no zippers for 2023 for other products by other manufacturers. You might also call Samsonite and talk to a representative about what you are looking for to get the latest products and information. My current Samsonsite hardside luggage is 15 years old and I can't recall the name of it originally. It's stored up in the garage, so it's not easy for me to get to to give you that information. I have a large and a medium hardside for international travel and have not had any problems traveling with everything that I need. If hunting, I take the large hardside and my TuffPak. Well worth the money.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Richardson:

I bought this one but without all the add on dodads. Actually bought 2 of them but on African safaris my wife and I put all our clothes in just one.

https://www.amazon.com/Samonit...a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1

one of us
posted Hide Post
John- Mine is celebrating it's 15 year, no model markings. It has the integral TSA system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by John Richardson:

I bought this one but without all the add on dodads. Actually bought 2 of them but on African safaris my wife and I put all our clothes in just one.

https://www.amazon.com/Samonit...a4-dc28e6d374b3&th=1

Thanks for the link. I like that you can get it in orange as that makes it easier to see on the luggage carousel.

John Richardson

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Yep, it’s hard to miss

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I mark my case in a couple of ways for quick recognition.

I paint the hard corners where the wheels are with indelible pens, normally copper color.

I also put the same pant in small sections of the lockable belt I have around the case.

I recognize it it without it being a stand out.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know how you buy something to use later and then forget that you have it?

I just remembered I picked up a suitcase-sized military surplus Pelican (or maybe Hardigg) case from my local Army-Navy surplus store. It's up in the attic and I need to check to see if it will do.

That brings up the point that the US military uses a lot of these protective cases and many are now available as surplus. It may be a frugal (or cheap) way of getting a piece of luggage that even baggage handlers can't destroy.

John Richardson

One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
I just came this route july 2, with my sons. Arrived in JNB around 4:15. Had to go through immigration, grab our bags, get our tickets from united and go through securiy to catch 8:00 pm flight to Newark. I asked in Maun if they could check bags all the through to avoid the hassles. They said they could not. I was worried with the time but it wasn't an issue as we still had plenty of time to do some shopping and go through the "2nd" worthless securiy check at the gate. Where they check for liquids again. Nothing was taken from our luggage, but again anything of value was on our carry on. Probably not much help since we didn't travel with rifles.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John- I have one of the older Pelican suitcases, maybe 25 years old. Problem is it weighs about 24 lbs. Been converted to a storage container.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
John- I have one of the older Pelican suitcases, maybe 25 years old. Problem is it weighs about 24 lbs. Been converted to a storage container.

I see your point. I checked my mil-surp Pelican and I am sure it is the Pelican 1600. It weighs 13 lbs.

Compared to the Samsonite Flite GT 31 spinner, it weighs a pound more, is smaller, and doesn't have wheels. On the plus size, I paid $35 as opposed to $250 or even $239 for a new Pelican 1600.

John Richardson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wheels are a definite benefit when dragging luggage through an airport or anywhere else. Cost and money then are forgotten in the moment. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Wheels are a definite benefit when dragging luggage through an airport or anywhere else. Cost and money then are forgotten in the moment. Big Grin

Yep. I grab my suitcase, roll it through the airport to check in at Airlink, steadfastly ignoring the obnoxious “porters”.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything I fly with has wheels except for my backpack.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Previously reading the reports of luggage break ins at JNB and having a scheduled upcoming trip to RSA, I reluctantly abandoned my beloved Cabelas outfitter series (tough as nails)luggage because it had lots of zippers.

I bought a Coolife hard sided suitcase from Amazon. It has an aluminum frame and molded plastic outside with 4 wheels (wow what an improvement over my 2 wheeled luggage). Has metal reinforced corners and it only weighs 10.2 lbs, has a built in TSA combination lock and no zippers. Went through OR Tambo without loosing a thing.

Just bought wrap around luggage straps to identify my luggage and hold it together in case the 2 locks come unlocked.

Pretty happy with it.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote