Find
Notify
Tools

SAPS Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
I have a "bait shooter" coming to Zim with me in June. He wants to bring his rifle and I will have two rifles. We are overnighting in JNB, so we will have to clear SAPS. Obviously, SAPS limits you to two rifles.

My question is can we put all three rifles in my case and each of us clear our respective rifles OR do we need to separate the rifles into "owner specific" rifle cases?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
We traveled through Jo'berg with three rifles in a single Tuff Pak in April with no issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem at all.
He just needs his paper work separate
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the responses to Will's question.

I'm in the exact same boat about 21 days after Will goes through JNB.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've travelled with a shared guncase to save on weight. Obviously my hunting buddy and I were on the same flight! We did JHB-Harare.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would check with my airlines. I know that Alaska Air has a two-rifle per case limit. This could be a big problem. It was for me one time.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the above, check the contract of carriage for your airline for baggage restrictions on firearms. Likely no one will care, but it takes just that one to ruin it. Enjoy

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If two of the rifles are the same caliber, there will be a problem...I saw SAPS confiscate BOTH rifles a guy was trying to clear that were the same caliber (.270 Win, not "military" caliber)...he wasn't very happy.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2746 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw SAPS confiscate BOTH rifles a guy was trying to clear that were the same caliber (.270 Win, not "military" caliber)...he wasn't very happy.

He must not have had any "Tip" money with him!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have seperate U.S. Customs forms with seperate names and fill out seperate SAPS forms then they both can be of the same caliber in one case.

Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Three rifles in a case.... wouldn't that put you overweight and be subject to a heavy baggage charge? I think its $100.

You might want to check.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
17lbs tuffpak holds three in soft cases with weight to spare.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote