Find
Notify
Tools

I'm gonna need a Tuffpak
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I should have bought one at the SCI show in Reno but I didn't...

There doesn't seem to be any on the 2nd hand market... And it just kills me to spend $400 for a guncase I might not need again...

Any suggestions where I might pick one up "reasonable"?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
See if you can borrow/rent one from someone.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you can't borrow/rent one, may I suggest you go ahead and buy a new one. Then when you return, I think if you offered it for sale for maybe $325 it would be sold quite quickly. You said it yourself there's virtually none on the used market, there's a reason why.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've one. Bought it new at Dallas in Jan.
Don't like it. Over priced and only one lock.
I'm stuck with it as postage to the lower 48 from Alaska is $160.
Damn.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Damn.
Cal

Sell it to someone in Alaska.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
That's my plan. It'll be on the table at the next gun show.
C

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
You can borrow mine, if you can either 1) find a way to Atlanta to get it, or 2) pay shipping to your address, or 3) something else--I don't know what.

I have the original size Tuffpak & it's been to Africa twice, as well as some airline destinations in the States.

Comes with the Tuff Sack also.

Let me know if I can help.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the same topic, a sligth difference, I am going in august 14 to scotland to play golf in the royal and accient and also do some stalking for red deer, I will need to buy a hard case for my golf clubs for travel and by looking at them on the golf websites I have trobule not picturing me using them for my rifles in my next hunt, I will try to take pictures of one such case with 2 guns in soft cases inside it, and I will post a link to a picture of the case, has anyone one had any experience doing this? Couse they are very hard and a lot cheaper than the tuff case.

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not how to post pictures but just put
GOLF CASE TRAVEL ON EBAY AND YOU WILL SEE LOTS OF THEM, what is your opinion? could it work not only to deceive the antis but also to protect the scoped guns? is this stupid?
I have QD rings on my 375, could have the scope in a diferent bag with me. what do you think?

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Many airlines require "approved" gun cases and that may not meet the requirement.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I bought a golf club case at a garage sale about 12 years ago. I put 2 hasps on it so I could lock it and used it for a couple years on trips in the US and Latin America. I put the guns in soft cases and then packed clothes all around them. It worked pretty good and no one noticed. However, it did get some cracks in it so it did not last as long as I thought it would. Also, it is a pain in the butt to pack so nothing moves around and a bigger pain to repack it at the airport after the security checks.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try to get the information of what would constitute an "approved case", i will post it,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.

from TSA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold my Tuff Pak. To each their own but it simply didn't fit my needs. Too big too bulky and a major PITA to repack at the airport after security/customs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,
And I thank you sir!. I used it for this last trip after adding the bar and lock that Judge G posted pics of. Worked like a charm. I put foam in the bottom to keep them from slamming my guns down hard, put them in padded cases, inside the tuffsack and put a spare soft case between the rifles and away we went. Everything made it just fine.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal - Just wondering?? Didn't they tell you the price and the demos clearly show only one,(one very good lock I might add) lock on the case?

When something works "as advertised" and gets my firearms safe and sound to their destination I don't bitch about how much it costs. Just me I guess? Later.

Mine is packed and will be on a plane tonight to Mozambique for a 35 plus day adventure.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Damn.
Cal

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I returned from safari #18 nine days ago. Bought mine circa 1995/6. My TuffPak made the trip again, 3 takeoffs and 3 landings, miles over african roads and sand forests into and back from camp. And once again, no problems.

If you use the TuffSak and read the replies to these repeated inquiries here on AR, you will see that a majority of repeat african hunters like the TuffPak. And they do not need an additional lock installed on them to work as designed and to remain secure.

One caveat - remove the bolt and pack it (padded) separately in the TuffPak.

A TuffPak is one of the best investments a traveling hunter can make.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Mine has been to Africa, New Zealand, South America, Kyrgyzstan and a host of others and I've yet to have to rezero a rifle upon arrival. I must admit they do seem pricey but man they do work. Can't see having to replace this one in my lifetime.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank: PM sent

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Mine has been to Africa, New Zealand, South America, Kyrgyzstan and a host of others and I've yet to have to rezero a rifle upon arrival. I must admit they do seem pricey but man they do work. Can't see having to replace this one in my lifetime.

I just bought one w/tuffsak and have heard all the variables about how to pack. May I ask how you pack yours? I'm going to Africa the Jul 16th. I have always used the SKB double till now.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just bought one w/tuffsak and have heard all the variables about how to pack. May I ask how you pack yours? I'm going to Africa the Jul 16th. I have always used the SKB double till now.

I put a rain coat or similar padding on the bottom of the TuffSack. I wrap some bubble wrap around the end of the barrel and around the scope. Not sure if this makes any difference but it makes me feel better. I remove the bolts, bubble wrap and tape to slings. I put the rifles in their respective Boytt cases and zip the whole thing up and slide it in the TuffPack. If I still have room for a few more pounds I'll add them in too.

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:

I put a rain coat or similar padding on the bottom of the TuffSack. I wrap some bubble wrap around the end of the barrel and around the scope. Not sure if this makes any difference but it makes me feel better. I remove the bolts, bubble wrap and tape to slings. I put the rifles in their respective Boytt cases and zip the whole thing up and slide it in the TuffPack. If I still have room for a few more pounds I'll add them in too.

Thanks, I've not read that method. I think it sounds like a keeper.
Thanks

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Original TuffPaks came with cut foam for the bottom and top of the case. If you don't have them, go to a hardware store and buy enough to cut to fit both ends. 3" thick is enough.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Original TuffPaks came with cut foam for the bottom and top of the case. If you don't have them, go to a hardware store and buy enough to cut to fit both ends. 3" thick is enough.

Thanks again, I believe I read your previous comments on the foam and I have done. I have read bolt in, bolt out. Is this just a matter of choice or have you had a problem? I traveled with my SKB with the bolts in with no problem. I understand this is a different case and is better for a lot of reasons. I do have one concern that has been bothering me. The airport I fly out of, TSA will want to look in the case. When that happens, I give the key and have to stand behind a plexiglass barrier in front of a table. I am not allowed to touch the case or the rifles again. The comments I have read, talk about you just pull out rifles for TSA to check and slide back in. It doesn't work that way at this airport. Do they treat a Tuffpak different than the hinged lid style? Trying to learn from the "salts"

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I should add that I only pull bolt when required by the airline.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Because the bolt extends beyond the flush side of the rifle, it can become a pressure point that can exert an inordinate amount of pressure on the rifle. This can cause a wood stock to break at the pistol grip. I did see this once in Canada on a friends rifle when he took it out of his TuffPak. This can also happen to any gun case if undue pressure is exerted in the area of the bolt. Bolts should be removed from all rifles in any gun case during air travel (but do keep the bolt in the gun case!). Scopes should be left on the rifles.

TSA knows how to inspect rifles in TuffPaks and they manage to get everything back inside and locked - but don't take your eyes off them! And no, they do not allow you to touch the guns or case after it is in their possession.

BTW, most of us slip the bolt into an old wool sock and then into a zip-lock baggie. You can mark the bag with the rifle make if you need to differentiate between multiple bolts. There are now "bolt bags" available at Midway and I bought a couple and used them on my Namibia trip earlier this month, but they don't do anything the old sock in the baggie doesn't. I also use neoprene ScopeCoats on my scopes when traveling.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I like my Tuffpak and use it when I travel to Africa but generally not when traveling within the US. My only complaint is that it is a pain when dealing with TSA and SAPS or other foreign police/security services. LionHunter says TSA knows how to inspect rifes in TuffPaks, but in my experience the case is bewildering to most. Sometimes they don't open my case, but usually they do. Sometimes the officer is pretty adept at figuring it out, sometimes not. Sometimes they let me tell them how to do it, sometimes not. I watched two idiots try to shove the duffel back into the case horizontally after putting all my stuff back into it. It was bulging and not going in very easily. I told them to stand the case on the end and let gravity take it (the easiest way to get it in there) but they seriously told me they knew what they were doing. And continued struggling while I stood there. Very annoying. Coming into some countries there have been long lines and limited space and I have to unpack the whole thing to get the rifles out to be checked. My hinged Pelican case is MUCH easier to handle with TSA and with foreign firearms clearance.

Having said all that, I STILL use the TuffPak and will be using it for a trip to RSA in two weeks and another to Zim in September. I like the ability to pack clothes and other stuff in there with the rifles - it makes it easier for me to get all my gear into just the Tuffpak and one additional duffle bag. It protects well, it's secure, and it doesn't look like a gun case to the uninitiated. If it were a little simpler to open for gun inspections, it would be perfect, in my opinion.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Because the bolt extends beyond the flush side of the rifle, it can become a pressure point that can exert an inordinate amount of pressure on the rifle. This can cause a wood stock to break at the pistol grip. I did see this once in Canada on a friends rifle when he took it out of his TuffPak. This can also happen to any gun case if undue pressure is exerted in the area of the bolt. Bolts should be removed from all rifles in any gun case during air travel (but do keep the bolt in the gun case!). Scopes should be left on the rifles.

TSA knows how to inspect rifles in TuffPaks and they manage to get everything back inside and locked - but don't take your eyes off them! And no, they do not allow you to touch the guns or case after it is in their possession.

BTW, most of us slip the bolt into an old wool sock and then into a zip-lock baggie. You can mark the bag with the rifle make if you need to differentiate between multiple bolts. There are now "bolt bags" available at Midway and I bought a couple and used them on my Namibia trip earlier this month, but they don't do anything the old sock in the baggie doesn't. I also use neoprene ScopeCoats on my scopes when traveling.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your safari.

I really appreciate the feedback and it has helped a lot!
Thanks again!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
RAR60: My TuffPak has been to Africa over 8 times and I just returned from Africa with the TuffPak on Friday. As to the bolt, I have a small zippered bag that attaches to the inside ring of the TuffPak that I put my bolts in, after I have first wrapped each bolt in an old sock and put in a ziplock bag marked with the bolt's serial number and identification. I have a piece of tan masking tape on the outside of the zippered bag that says "Bolts for Rifles". The TuffSack is so simple and easy to use and pull out for inspection by TSA or Customs. In fact, I had two other hunters in Joburg at the SAPS office watch me pull my guns out with ease and get them quickly inspected and each of them asked me where they could pick up a TuffPak. The rifles or shotguns are packed in soft sided gun cases and inside the soft sided cases, each firearm is placed in an ingenious type of gun sock called a GunSlicker that is lightning fast to slip off for the gun's inspection. LionHunter is spot on with his comments as well. Foam placed in the bottom and on the top after packing your rifles will protect your rifles from damage I wouldn't go back to a regular gun case and believe me, I have them all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golf hard case.
I just came back from the Golf Headquarters store and just to inform you, the premium hard case bag holders cost almost the same as the Tuff pack so there is nothing there. Good luck with the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Browning Bruiser double rifle case #149002 for two trips to RSA and Zim. It has wheels, four latches and accommodates three key locks. Hard foam internally with removeable inserts for separating the rifles. I've included within the case a soft case, a knife, two slings and three boxes of ammo per rifle. Cost is half the cost of a tuffpak.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides Airplane trips I use my Tuffpak quite a bit.

I take it to the deer lease, so I can cable it to the inside of my trailer, I use it when going to the range so I can cable it to the inside of my truck, incase I go to town to eat or shop before or after the range, and I use it on motel/hotel road trips because when I get it out of the vehicle and wheel it to the room, it looks like golf clubs, and not guns.

I use it more than any of the other hard cases I still have...

Since most of my hunting guns are takedown guns, I got the takedown TuffPak as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote