THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Dutch Transit Permit - New Requirement?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dutch Transit Permit - New Requirement?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Today I received my permit from Dutch Customs for transport of firearms through AMS to JRO on June 28th. The fax cover sheet asked that I "please attach a copy of this permit to your luggage in which you carry your firearms and/or ammunition". I checked my prior two Dutch permits (last one in 2007) and there was no such requirement. Is this new? I don't have a problem complying with the request but I seem to remember that there was a rule prohibiting labeling any luggage as containing firearms. I checked NWA's, KLM's and HSA's websites and can't find anything other than a prohibition on labeling luggage as containing "explosives", so maybe my memory is faulty.

Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks,

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard

I advised Northwest and KLM of this requirement by Dutch Customs and also advised them that about the rule prohibiting labeling any luggage as containing firearms and ammunition. To date have not had a reply from them but will follow up and see what I can find.

In the meantime I would suggest you put a copy of the permits inside the guncase and when you check in at the airport show check in agent the fax from customs regarding their requirement and ask them if they are happy that you attach it to the outside of the guncase. If they say yes go ahead then do it. Have an airline employee make the decision - don't forget to get name of employee!

Of course always carry a copy of the permit with you so you can show it to customs if they do ask you in Amsterdam.

Have great trip.

Steve

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Thanks for looking into this. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard

With the help of Barbara Crown at the Hunting Report we are trying to get to the bottom of this, however, in the meantime I received this reply from NWA :

Thank you for contacting nwa.com.
>
>I understand you are inquiring about the paperwork for your firearms.
>Do not attach any information to the gun case. Please have a copy of
>the permit and ask the TSA agent to assist you at the airport.
>
>Northwest accepts handguns, BB guns, rifles, and shotgun type firearms
>as checked baggage only. For complete details, please visit
>http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/specialitems.html#fire
>
>If you have additional questions concerning your baggage, please
>contact Reservations at 1-800-225-2525.
>
>I trust this information is helpful to you regarding your travel plans.
>
>Thank you for choosing Northwest Airlines, now part of Delta Air Lines.
>We value your patronage and consider it a privilege to serve your
>travel needs.
>
Steve

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also carry an envelope and some tape, and an extra set of paperwork so in case someone insists that you attach it to the guncase.

Then you have all bases covered.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from RSA and my flight went through Amsterdam on the way down. I taped a zip lock bag containing a copy of the Dutch Transit Permit to the TuffPack and to the ammo box. Seemed to have worked as everything arrived.

I always put an extra set of paperwork in the containers and a spare lock.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. The Hunting Report has confirmed with Dutch Customs that the new "requirement" contained in my fax cover sheet was a "mistake" and that attaching a copy of the permit to the baggage is not required.

Richard