THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    African travel getting cheaper?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African travel getting cheaper?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just had a client quoted through Gracy Travel $1,700 Denver/London/JNB/Harare $1,700 for Sept dates. That aint bad!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That's really good, and with oil prices down, likely to stay relatively low for the foreseeable future. Combine that with the likely slow convention season due to low oil and the stock market tanking, and there should be some great deals as the year goes on. 2016 is the time to go, for those who can afford it.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Check this out...

San Francisco (my int'l. Gateway airport) to Johannesburg, departing August 20, returning September 5th. The round trip fare is...

$897 on Virgin Atlantic! Now that is cheap.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually it is only $1530 for the flight, Gracy fee is $250. I think it sounds cheap?

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
You can thank cheap oil. For those not in the oilfield, enjoy it ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just booked through Gracy for Pitt-Atlanta -Jbg. It was quite a bit more. In June.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the time of year you go. Last May I flew Delta round trip Dallas-ATL-JNB for $975. This year, low oil prices and all, in August peak season, the same route costs $1850.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to book from Seattle to windhoek for May. Prices havent moved much.

It's like a chess game with some carriers not handling firearms, and others (Air Namibia) charging for them, plus permits in different places for transit, etc., etc.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that transporting firearms through London is a bit dicey. Is that still true?

I am getting ready to book a flight from Denver to Bulawayo for mid-September and I haven't found anything really good at this point.

Most of the flights have an overnight in Dubai, or some such nonsense.

Back in 2002 and 2003, I could book a flight from Denver, with one stop in Atlanta and then direct to either Jo-burg or Cape Town.

This option doesn't seem to be available any more.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Im not sure why your seeing that. Delta has a daily flight from ATL to JNB.

I just jumped on Expedia, It pulled up flights for June 2016. No problem.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BH63,

There are no issues transiting London with firearms if you just follow BA's rules as you would with any airline. Book your US departure city to Heathrow and then on to JNB. Check your guns in at the city where you pick up the BA flight all the way through to JNB. The BA flight gets in early AM in JNB allowing you plenty of time to recheck your baggage and catch the flight to Bulawayo. This allows you to avoid an overnight in JNB. BA does charge for handling your guns as they handle them as special cargo separate from the other luggage. The point is you will get your guns and luggage once you arrive JNB.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and you will need to clear them in Jburg and get the SAPS 520 DONE!!!!!!!
That can be a lottery re time to make another connection.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:

Thanks. I will try again. I must have used the travel site owned by United. I have found they don't always show their competitors routes. Although it could be that I am flying from Denver.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I've found Google flights to be better than almost every travel search engine. It's quick and gives tons of options for nearly every major carrier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
nickh,

You need about a full 3 hours between your flight arriving JNB and the flights to ZIM and the BA flight gets in early enough for this. If you use a meet/greet service it will go faster.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:

I checked again and got the same weird flights. I then checked on flights from DEN to JNB (originally I was looking for flights from DEN to BUQ (Bulawayo) and then found the more direct flights (via ATL) to JNB. Apparently I will need to book the flight to JNB and then book a separate flight to Bulwayo. I also found that by booking them separately I save about $500.00! Go figure.

I realize that if my JNB flight is a day late, I am screwed on the Bulawayo flight, but even at that it appears I will save money.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Lin Stanton
posted Hide Post
Hi
For some reason the Bulawayo-Johanasburg flight is one of the most expensive. Book this seperate and It will save you money.

Lin Stanton
Email: lindon@mbalabalasafaris.com
www.mbalabalasafaris.com

Posts: 134 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
I've found Google flights to be better than almost every travel search engine. It's quick and gives tons of options for nearly every major carrier.

My wife has been using it and agrees.

Played with it last night. I like the format of it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever fly Qatar airways via doha to Joberg-they are showing some good prices

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am flying to Botswana in June and a few months ago and asked the dude at Travels with Guns if three was nay chance the rates were going to come down, given the falling price of oil, I was assured that they wouldn't. Who you going to believe?

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If you book the short flights separately, directly with Air Bots or SAA on their websites, you pay in pula or rand. Because of the super exchange rate on the dollar, you will save considerably as opposed to booking with a US travel agent and paying in dollars( not to mention the ridiculous commissions they charge).i have done that for the past 4 years flying to Kasane from JNB. No problem at all.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13164 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Searching Baltimore to Port Elizabeth on google flights for my dates in June, the tickets are more than what Travel Express was able to get them for 3 months ago.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote