THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    checking bags through Joburg

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

checking bags through Joburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I are going to africa in late May. We return mid June. I saved my freq flier miles and was lucky enough to snag 2 round trip first class tickets from ATL to JNB on Delta. I booked the Delta legs of the trip myself. The intra-Africa flights were booked for us by an agent on South African Air.

Our flight home begins on June 16 in WDH on South African Air. We connect in JNB with Delta that same day for the flight back to ATL.

How do I get my bags checked straight thru from WDH to ATL when my official "itinerary" in the South African Airline computers as well as the documents i will receive from the agent do not reflect the JNB same day connection because i booked the Delta flight myself?

I sure would like to avoid claiming and rechecking my luggage in JNB on the way home especially since i will be traveling thru there during world cup time.

Is there a way to make that happen?

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Just tell the agent at check in in Windhoek to check your bags all the way through to Atlanta. It should not be a problem as I did the same thing for my wife and I last september. Be sure to double check the bagage tag.

Along the same lines, I assume you will be overnighting in Joberg since the Atl flight does not get in until about 5:30 PM. If so, be sure your bags are not checked through to Windhoek or you will be without your bags on your overnight. Had I not checked my bag tags leaving Atl in September, that is what would have happened to us.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and have the gate at delta check to make sure your bags are on the plane

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote