New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overnight in JNB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I'm going to Zim next year (hunt a year from today). I'm flying Atl to JNB to overnight there and taking Airlink to Harare the next morning. I'm leaning toward the Intercontinental in JNB. Any thoughts/advice on whether that's the right spot? I'm not really worried about saving a few bucks...I'll pay for a nice room and a good meal after the long flight. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 51 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It or the city Lodge, which I prefer, are the handiest. I’ve stayed at African Sky and Afton Guest House but prefer the convince of a 5 minute walk to City Lodge.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I have not stayed at City Lodge but cheaper than Intercontinental which I have stay at. Intercontinental is very nice and actually closer to the gates in the International terminal. City is by the domestic terminal. Quills at the Intercontinental you will get an extra nice meal.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in April we were going to stay at the International but they had no shuttle service and they told us to not walk over or get a ride as you do not know what will happen so we booked City Lodge

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hydehunter:
in April we were going to stay at the International but they had no shuttle service and they told us to not walk over or get a ride as you do not know what will happen so we booked City Lodge

Are you talking about the Intercontinental at JNB? It's only 223 foot walk from the International terminal, which is shorter distance then City Lodge.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told it was across the road from the airport so I do not know for sure, at 9:00 pm I was not going to look

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look outside the terminal doors at arrivals the hotel is right there in front of you,20 yards across the road.!!!!
Don’t know what shuttle bus your talking about either???
If you did any research or googled it you would have been fine....
Intercontinental is my first choice, city lodge second.Both are convenient and the best places to stay being within the airport.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use City Lodge. Very inexpensive and comfortable.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'll go with the Intercontinental and report back in a year.

Posts: 51 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. And convenient. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

Yep. And convenient. tu2

And a very good free breakfast the next morning.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im old school and used Afton guest house, the take care of you and your stuff, the just check your gear in and put you on the airplane. no line to check in or mess with a ticket...unless things have changed...sent clients to them for years and never a complaint, the feed big time and the rooms amd beds are beyond compare. Everybody stayed there and you met the interesting people.. hunters, PHs, celebrities, friendly folks from the 4 corners of the world..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Im old school and used Afton guest house, the take care of you and your stuff, the just check your gear in and put you on the airplane. no line to check in or mess with a ticket...unless things have changed...sent clients to them for years and never a complaint, the feed big time and the rooms amd beds are beyond compare. Everybody stayed there and you met the interesting people.. hunters, PHs, celebrities, friendly folks from the 4 corners of the world..

I used Afton House for the first time in June. Long story short our arrival to Africa was long abd tiresome, due to FUBAR flights. My sons and myself had not laid down for almost 2.5 days. I knew we needed a good bed and dinner other then airline and airport food. Elize bailed us out on very short notice. While we were at the Afton House, my son said to me "everyone here acts like they've been our friends our entire lives." That speaks volumes IMO.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A vote for both the Afton House and the City Lodge, but the last 2 trips I stayed at the City Lodge, super convenient and a great dinner and breakfast. Also used Gracy Travel for the meet and greet every time and money well spent, Bruce is like the mayor of JNB!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Sky was wonderful and met very interesting people and great conversation. A bit further from the airport than I prefer, but wonderful accommodations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Intercontinental is the way to go.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote