THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Anyone recently transited Heathrow with firearms?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone recently transited Heathrow with firearms?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the past, we have avoided transiting the UK but flights to SA are currently crazy expensive. Our best options are thru Heathrow and Turkish Air thru Istanbul. Haven’t done either route but seat availability and fare might force one or the other. Any experiences, good or bad?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I’ve done the flight on Turkish last year to JNB, albeit without guns. Well pleased with the flight service, Istanbul lounge, and overall experience- and last year it was $1500/ticket cheaper than Qatar or Emirates.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I have transferred at both Heathrow and Istanbul. Heathrow both with and without guns. I transit Heathrow once or twice a year. The easiest is the T5 to T5 transfer, you need at least an hour. I like a little more time to head to a lounge and get some food. The shopping is great at Heathrow. T3 to T5 you need at least 2 hours. I’ve done it in an 1 1/2 hours, but don’t make any stops. The Gatwick to Heathrow should be avoided at all costs. As you are leaving DFW, BA metal is T5, AA metal is T3. Use BA metal. And if flying BA business try to get a plane with the Suite seats.

IST, I would recommend about a two hours layover. The food in the lounge is cooked right in front of you, but beer and wine only. The food is excellent on Turkish.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, we are flying to Spain later this year on Turkish, they were $3500-4500 leads expensive than the closest competitor. Have a fairly long layover in Istanbul but DLS here on AR kindly hooked us up with a tour guide to see Istanbul. There are some good people on AR!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
I have transferred at both Heathrow and Istanbul. Heathrow both with and without guns. I transit Heathrow once or twice a year. The easiest is the T5 to T5 transfer, you need at least an hour. I like a little more time to head to a lounge and get some food. The shopping is great at Heathrow. T3 to T5 you need at least 2 hours. I’ve done it in an 1 1/2 hours, but don’t make any stops. The Gatwick to Heathrow should be avoided at all costs. As you are leaving DFW, BA metal is T5, AA metal is T3. Use BA metal. And if flying BA business try to get a plane with the Suite seats.

IST, I would recommend about a two hours layover. The food in the lounge is cooked right in front of you, but beer and wine only. The food is excellent on Turkish.

Exactly the info I was hoping I’d receive! Thanks!

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
But don’t forget BA has a high gun fee.

Posts: 754 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, $150.00 per gun case, but is cheaper than Turkish Air’s fee of $237.00 per firearm. Both ridiculous…

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

Exactly what Wesheltonj said. Most of the negative feedback on Heathrow is self induced if you really check. Just went through there in November. Easy Peasy!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went through Heathrow two times in February. No problems. I didn't take a rifle.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. Looks like we will be going thru Heathrow. We are pretty good at reading and following rules, so shouldn’t be too tough

Karl Evans