THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Multiple items on 4457 vs a form for each

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple items on 4457 vs a form for each
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to Zim in 2011 and took two rifles-416 & 7mm Rem Mag. Going back in March of 2015-taking the 416 again and my new 300 Win Mag. I have also started to go to South America once a year to shoot birds (made my 3rd trip this year). The guns I take will vary from trip to trip. Is it necessary to get a new 4457 for the guns I take each time? I have thought about just getting one 4457 for each gun, then take whatever forms I need when I go. Will this confuse or irritate the rocket scientists I will encounter traveling?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I only put one gun on each form. That way you can take different guns without confusion

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a smart idea to get separate 4457 for each of your firearms. In many countries the local authorities think that a 4457 is a gun permit. Makes things a lot easier They cannot get their head around the fact that in the US we do not need a gun permit. Many hunters get them plastic laminated making them really look official. coming back it also makes things easier with the custom folks.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agreed now. At one time I had several rifles on my 4457 and coming back into LAX with only one of the rifles on the form totally freaked the Customs Agent out. Had to call his supervisor and was very curt.

Now I do as you suggest, much easier.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have multiples on the form, and so far no problems.

It's a tax form, and says that I own it, so they cannot charge duty on it. The only time I had anyone say anything, a simple iteration of what the 4457 is cleared up the issue.

I have had individual customs agents say that my form is too old a time or two, but not that there was an issue with stuff on it that I didn't have with me. They don't expire, so don't get caught with that either...

Most all ICE folks I have met are pretty good about verifying the rules if presented to calmly, and politely.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2 In 12 African Safaris since 2002 and to over 8 different countries around the globe I have never had a single issue in any country or upon return to the U.S. All of my 4457 forms contain multiple items, including more than one firearm. In fact, the form has a place to list the number of items found on the form. But, each to his own I say. I always politely point out which items on the form I'm traveling with to the officials I am dealing with and they usually just thank me for assisting them.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine how having one item per form could be a problem.

I CAN imagine how having multiple items per form could be a problem.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What should be a no brainier can be very confusing for some African custom official or even A US custom official resulting in delay and unwanted attention .When this can be avoided by having one gun on a single 4457

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I did add my scope to the 4457 on my gun form. I hope the combo stays together.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
this can be avoided by having one gun on a single 4457

Which is what I said

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
As customs indicated to me to make the process easier for me.

1 item per form.

If you have more than 1 item on the form they would like to see the number of items identified.

Question, did you leave a prohibited piece of equipment over seas?

So 1 form for each rifle and do not mention scopes on the forum in case you change.

I know things can be explained later, but why put yourself through the hassle of proving you have an item at your house, that was on your multiple form, when you did not take it along in the first place.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every rifle I have taken overseas has its own form.

Scopes each on a separate form

Gino's each on its own form.

Camera separate form.

The customs folks here couldn't care less how many forms they do for me and I have never been hassled either coming or going.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1054 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do one form per firearm. I say "with scope and mounts". Never include serial number of scope because I change them out from time to time.
I never bring a 4457 for binos, cameras, scopes, etc. I simply have too many of each to keep track and they never ask anyway.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went today to get my new forms. Took two rifles and a shotgun (going to Argentina in June). Asked the agent for three originals for each firearm because the travel agent wanted an original and I wanted to have one to take on me plus a spare. He refused to give me more than one original for each firearm, but he also never looked at the firearms-never took them out of the Tuffpak.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put one firearm only on each form. Then I have the folks at the office make color Xeroxes and put them in a file folder that my secretary keeps in a file drawer behind her desk, along with folders for past and pending safaris, taxidermy, business expenses, etc.

Same as an original, in my experience and I have multiple copies so I can simply pull the form or forms I need for any particular trip.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Went today to get my new forms. Took two rifles and a shotgun (going to Argentina in June). Asked the agent for three originals for each firearm because the travel agent wanted an original and I wanted to have one to take on me plus a spare. He refused to give me more than one original for each firearm, but he also never looked at the firearms-never took them out of the Tuffpak.

Just get them notarized. The guys in Argentina will think they have been endorsed by the president.

I understand the new old import regulations are being enforced into Argentina. Get your RENAR form before you go!

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote