THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Every have damaged baggage? You will love this.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Every have damaged baggage? You will love this.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Very funny and a catchy song.

Not african travel per se, but checking expensive baggage in general.

True story.

Gotta love the internet.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see that it's approaching 3,000,000 hits. Not that UAL gives a rat's ass. Perhaps someday Congress will seriously increase the limit of liability for such stuff.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd have to look hard to beat Northwest. They destroyed a 1980's vintage Halliburton three-suiter that had been around the world and across oceans countless times on a flight from Regina via MSP to Orlando. That thing was gorilla proof. Or so I thought. And, of course, they are not responsible.

Northwest subcontracts baggage handling and in order to qualify for a position, one's knuckles must drag the ground whie standing erect.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
This sounds all too familiar. Last year we were flying to Colorado for the opening of the elk muzzleloader season and as we waited in the terminal for our connecting plane (Delta) to be prepped the luggage cart showed up and the baggage handler started loading bags on the conveyor. We watched to hopefully see our gun and bow cases being loaded. The first bag coming off the cart that was not a suitcase happened to be golf clubs and the handler tossed it to the side on the tarmac... and I don't mean gingerly tossed it, he threw the dang thing. This was followed by every single gun and bow case. The suitcases were loaded on the conveyor, but the rest was thrown onto the concrete in a big pile. There were several other hunters in addition to our group and everyone was pissed. We got a Delta manager and complained and she got on the phone... shortly here come a couple of guys on the tarmac (obviously the handler's supervisor and his union shop steward). They talked to him and pointed up at the terminal windows. I'm sure the conversation went something like this "You big dummy, don't you know to throw the bags on the other side of the conveyor so the passengers in the terminal can't see them". Thankfuly nothing in our cases was broken.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think of it like this: the people who McDonald's won't hire get jobs as baggage handlers. "Ramp tramps", "ramp rats", "baggage apes." That's how they're known in the industry. As long as they work cheap, the airlines don't care.

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I see that it's approaching 3,000,000 hits. Not that UAL gives a rat's ass. Perhaps someday Congress will seriously increase the limit of liability for such stuff.

UAL would have been money ahead to treat this guy fairly and I'm betting that the customer service guy responsible will be wishing he'd been more reasonable sometime real soon.

We'll see, but this video is getting more traction than most of UAL's expensive advertisements and is likely not going over too well at the Corporate offices.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The video is a hoot!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:
This sounds all too familiar. Last year we were flying to Colorado for the opening of the elk muzzleloader season and as we waited in the terminal for our connecting plane (Delta) to be prepped the luggage cart showed up and the baggage handler started loading bags on the conveyor. We watched to hopefully see our gun and bow cases being loaded. The first bag coming off the cart that was not a suitcase happened to be golf clubs and the handler tossed it to the side on the tarmac... and I don't mean gingerly tossed it, he threw the dang thing. This was followed by every single gun and bow case. The suitcases were loaded on the conveyor, but the rest was thrown onto the concrete in a big pile. There were several other hunters in addition to our group and everyone was pissed. We got a Delta manager and complained and she got on the phone... shortly here come a couple of guys on the tarmac (obviously the handler's supervisor and his union shop steward). They talked to him and pointed up at the terminal windows. I'm sure the conversation went something like this "You big dummy, don't you know to throw the bags on the other side of the conveyor so the passengers in the terminal can't see them". Thankfuly nothing in our cases was broken.

Same thing happened to me back in the 1980s in Sacramento, only bak then there was a door then that I was able to access to get onto the tarmace and go get the bastard. Fortunately for at least one of us, airline security stopped me before I got out on the tarmac. My case was broken, the guy threw it down that hard, so Frontier Airlines had to buy me a new case. I made a big stink about it, and the terminal manager agreed that they'd buy me a new case. Even a plastic gun case has to be thrown down hard to break the end open, so they knew something intentional had happened.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
UAL settled with the guy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving for TZ in about 14 hours on Northwest/KLM. Orlando to Detroit to AMS to Kili. I'm not sweating KLM. All I'm hoping for is that everything makes it as far as AMS intact. I have a real case of butterflies about my luggage. I ain't worried about the buffalo...well, not too much, anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting to Africa with luggage is usually my biggest worry of the whole trip.

If you think you have luggage problems, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQtbLngkmM