Find
Notify
Tools

Temperature on Delta to RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
It may be a dumb question but in coach will I need a jacket to wear on the plane? Does the plane get cold? Do the airlines still have blankets?

Also do most people travel in shorts or long pants?

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the plane temperature is comfortable, and yes they have blankets.enjoy your flight.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I generally wear long pants on any flight, but generally have a pair of shorts in my carryon if flying tosomewhere warm so I could change on the plane if it was unbearable hot. That said, I have never been on a hot plane. But plenty of cold ones. So I take enough clothing to be warm and not rely on airline blankets that may or may not be available.

And don't for an inflatable pillow ( or two, I love one for my lower back.)

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I made that tip 2 weeks ago. A light jacket will be usefull. The blankets are quite thin. Also I recommend the coach upgrade they offer.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you sit in a window exit row seat, it is often very cold.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and update on cabin temperature.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry at least one set of hunting clothes including my fleece on the plane in case my checked bag doesn't show. If you do this, not only will you be able to hunt despite a lost bag, you'll be equipped to make yourself comfortable on the flight.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airlines intentionally keep their planes cool during flight - it combats airsickness. I was on a plane once that was quite warm due to an airconditioning malfunction, and a lot of people were feeling sick. The blankets in coach are much thinner than the ones in Business Class. On a long flight I'd wear long pants and take a jacket. The most comfortable things to wear are a pair of track or sweat pants. When your body is warm, even if the air is cool, it is much easier to fall asleep. And in coach on that long flight, you definitely want to sleep. AnotherAZWriter is right, the window seats are colder.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wore my "hunting clothes" over and it was in excess of 80 and I asked three or four times to lower temp, yeah right! I fooled them on the way back with shorts and short sleeved shirt, NOT - must have been 65!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airline blankets are sorry. Go to WalMart and buy a fleece sleeping bag for less than $20, they are about the size of a roll of paper towels. A GI poncho liner is light, warm and packs down to nothing. Wear a long sleeved shirt, if it gets too warm roll up the sleeves.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
JIm, I will pack my old poncho liner. I use to say that is one of the best things the military ever made - that an e-tool.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My experiences on the 777 that delta uses have been great. The cabin air temps are very consistent all through the plane. The window seats will be a little cooler due to the proximity to the outside of the aircraft. The Airbus that SAA uses was the complete opposite. You could walk from one part of the plane to the other and be hot or cold. You would see some people wearing winter parka's and others sweating in T-Shirts.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The 777 is the only way to fly to Africa! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta 200/201 is my favorite way to get to Africa. The Boeing 777 is the best, also.

The asile seat is very comfortable temperature-wise. Long sleeve shirt and a blanket, if necessary.

The window seat has me resting/leaning up against a very cold wall. For me, this kind of a heat sink makes for a poor rest. My fat hunting buddy prefers this seat, though. To each his own.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
http://www.seatguru.com/
Is the absolute best resource for finding something useful ever!

On a flight to Mumbai, it was great in informing me that the infants in coach were often seated right behind the last row of business class. VERY useful info.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Right at the back of the plane, there are a couple of rows that only have two seats. It saves you from having to wake up everytime the person next to you wants to get out of their seats.
Try and get some sleeping pills. Sleeping on the plane is not easy.
Enjoy your trip!

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lift-off followed by two Trazadone. Sleep like a baby, don't wake up feeling drugged. I am a light sleeper, bad habit I picked up in 'nam as a lad.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like airline blankets -- just a personal psychological problem with someone else's germs I guess. I layer. T-shirt, fairly heavy long sleeve shirt (I can't remember the brand, but it's a tactical type shirt that doesn't look like it. It's pretty warm), and a sports jacket. I can strip or add depending on the temp.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always long pants/long sleeve shirts.
If worried about getting too hot, get some pants w/the zip off legs.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dont ask me why, but the temperature in aeromexico flights is usually a few degrees warmer than most other airlines...... delta is pretty good about having the plane nice and cold...

bewildered

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mu United flight this year we cooked on the way down so I got my carry on out and switched from a comfy pair of jeans and a long sleeved shirt to a pair of shorts and a tshirt.

On the trip back we froze so I woree a hoodie and broke out my Woobie.

Woobie

Much warmer than a GI Poncho liner and about 1/2 to 1/3 the weight. It came in handy a few nights in campo as well. I never travel anywhere without it. It also live sin my expedition full time.

As for what the others have sugester? Heck yes carry a set of hunting clothes in your carry on bag with you. this has saved me ona couple of non hunting trips where my checked bags didn't arrive when expected but I was able to continue with my event because I had my rugby gear in my carry on.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote