THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Can An American Citizen Leave His Rifle In Africa….

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can An American Citizen Leave His Rifle In Africa….
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I was told today that an American can leave his rifle out of the country for 5 years.

During this time he can get an export license??

Can anyone confirm this??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I don't claim to know all of the legalities involved, I did take a shotgun to Africa and left it with Mike Payne. Had to have an approval letter from the US Secretary of State in hand before leaving the States and Mike had already gotten his approval paperwork from SA. That's my only experience.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
While I don't claim to know all of the legalities involved, I did take a shotgun to Africa and left it with Mike Payne. Had to have an approval letter from the US Secretary of State in hand before leaving the States and Mike had already gotten his approval paperwork from SA. That's my only experience.

I believe in order to “permanently” export a firearm one must submit an ATF “Form 9” and receive ATF approval, not sure if 5 years would be considered permanent. I tried to legally take a rifle to SA years ago and gave up, too much BS.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now in the rush to leave a rifle was forgotten what country would prosecute.

Or how long would it take them ton find out about it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Please translate.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, it has been several years since I did this, but I am unaware of any change in the law.

If one intends to export a firearm from the USA permanently to a third party foreign national, then one must obtain a permanent export permit beforehand.

I would ask whoever told you about this 5 year rule where it exists in the applicable law or regulations.

I have never heard of it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure anyone keeps track of when you leave with a rifle from the USA. If airlines were reporting that to someone I would think there would be some paper work. Where it may become an issue is when you go to leave the country you entered with rifle and dont have it with you on departure, But I'm not sure of that either.
It would be a liability for whoever was holding it though without proper paperwork I'm sure.

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question has been brought up how “they” would know if you left with a rifle, the answer is that the airlines notify CBP of passengers checking firearms, I know Qatar, Emirates and American do this, including a photo taken at check in. Same airlines do the same on your return, I suspect CBP would catch a checked firearm on departure but not return. I was told a couple of years ago by a CBP officer, who recently retired, that DFW was the number one airport for firearms leaving and not returning.
But, after all of this…the rifle I was asked to bring was taken thru Atlanta on Delta by another guy with no problems.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Please translate.

If one needs translation then one should not consider the idea.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Please translate.

English may not be his primary language.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far as I am aware, the U.S. does not keep track of sporting arms taken abroad; hence it does not know whether such arm(s) were repatriated or not.

On the other hand, countries into which you may bring a firearm typically have a record of it coming in and want to see it go with you when you depart the visited country.

Thus the extra-legal export from the U.S. is not the main issue, but rather whether foreign customs authorities will allow you to leave without the same arms you came in with.

The "boat turned over and it was lost" excuse may or may not get you on the plane.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It always makes me smile ruefully when the question changes from “Is it a crime?” to “Can I get away with it?” Big Grin shame

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I would hate to be the PH recipient of a “lost” rifle in Africa. I have heard the jails aren’t that friendly in Africa.

Argentina, for example, will sometimes audit outfitters. Yes, that’s also known as gun registration. Let’s pray we never reach that point.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe will allow a citizens to legally obtain a rifle from a foreign visitor if the proper paperwork is submitted and the firearm is legal to own in Zim.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, the question only applies to US citizens.

I do know other nationalities do leave firearms in Africa and the recipients do get them legalized.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have known American diplomats that had left rifles in Africa and New Zealand, this was all in the mid-2000's.

I don't know if you could legally do it today.

Would you get caught? I don't think so.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gundog 64 is correct about Zimbabwe. You will not be allowed to leave Zim without the proper gift paperwork. To avoid suspicion upon returning to the US, my advice would be to travel with 2 firearms and only return with one. They follow the case not the individual firearm.
That is what I have been told by someone who has gifted several firearms as tips to their PHs on several safaris over the years.

Legal disclaimer:Your results may vary, lol

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Why even take the risk? Why leave a firearm behind for any reason? If someone wants a rifle or shotgun that bad then let them go through the legal channels to legally own or possess the firearm without putting another at risk regarding an iffy issue that might or could potentially prevent you from owning firearms in the future for leaving a firearm behind or illegally transferring a firearm to another. Anyone who asks whether it is a crime or could I get away with it speaks volumes about the issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
So far as I am aware, the U.S. does not keep track of sporting arms taken abroad; hence it does not know whether such arm(s) were repatriated or not.

I’m pretty sure CBP will be aware if you left with a firearm and did not return with the same firearm. I’m more than pretty sure of that at DFW, last 3 times we have returned from hunting they have had my photo and 4457 on their computer screen. Can’t say about other airports, though.
We’ll see if it works that way again tomorrow.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a CBP officer this question yesterday at DFW because I was concerned my rifle case wasn’t on our flight from Doha. He told me that it’s possible after receiving approval from govt (he said CBP one time and state dept another). I asked what happened if my rifle case didn’t arrive and he told me nothing much would happen for a few days if the case had been checked as baggage on an airline. If not checked, he said a really good reason for not returning would be needed.
I surely wouldn’t chance it.

Karl Evans