New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Air new rules
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The unfriendly skies of BA have changed the rules yet again. They are now not handling any firearms period. Brittany got caught up in their mess this am and she is now on her way to Namibia sans rifle. I don't know how many of you knew about the rule change that kicked in yesterday, I didn't. Another reason not to fly BA at all in the future for any reason. I heard they informed PHASA but most of the phs I talked to this morning didn't know. At that it certainly didn't get passed along to their Namibian counter parts or to this side of the pond from what I can tell.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I can't find anything about this on the BA website. I do have a call into Debbie Gracy to see if she can check it out. I do know that the BA affiliate Comair based out of RSA is not carry guns as of now but no one seems to know about BA not carry guns on their long haul flights. Are you sure this applies to ALL BA flights?

Just heard from Debbie Gracy. She knows nothing about BA not carrying guns. Comair does not carry guns but BA still is carry guns as far as I can tell.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I saw a post by Brittany Boddington on Face Book today where she stated she had a long battle with them but ultimately had to leave her rifle behind.

Mark, you and I have discussed this in the past and I know you like BA but I've just heard too many horror stories concerning BA and flying with firearms through London that I automatically check them off of my list of carriers when booking flights across the big pond.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
The unfriendly skies of BA have changed the rules yet again. They are now not handling any firearms period. Brittany got caught up in their mess this am and she is now on her way to Namibia sans rifle. I don't know how many of you knew about the rule change that kicked in yesterday, I didn't. Another reason not to fly BA at all in the future for any reason. I heard they informed PHASA but most of the phs I talked to this morning didn't know. At that it certainly didn't get passed along to their Namibian counter parts or to this side of the pond from what I can tell.

Mike

something there doesn't make sense...... As far as I'm aware, BA don't fly from the States to Namibia?

Do you mean she was flying from the US to London on BA and someone in the US wouldn't accept the firearm? - If so, was it a calibre issue or did they say no firearms whatsoever?

Or do you mean there was an issue further down the line with Comair?

Or do you mean something else?

bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this info relates back 24 hours its warmer than a fresh buffalo turd.

A friend just recently received several rifles, (4 to be precise) from NY to TZ via London with BA but they refused to accept 2 handguns which were part of the consignment.

The short-shipped handguns followed several days later: NY to TZ via Istanbul with Turkish without so much as a squeak!

Screw BA !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Brittany is talking about Comair. Just because she is an outdoor celebrity does not mean she or her people are on top of all travel related happening.

The only people that I know that have had a real problem with BA where my clients that ran into some counter personnel that didn't know how much to charge them for their guns.

BA is very fussy about their gun handling procedures but people get there with their guns and that is what is important in my mind.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
From British Airways website....

Travelling on British Airways flights operated by other airlines

If you are planning to make a booking on ba.com that includes a flight operated by an airline other than British Airways, please contact us before booking to check that the other airline is able to carry your firearm.

Please note: You will not be able to take any firearms, including sporting rifles, on any flights operated by Comair.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Comair thing is old news buddy.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Guys, according to Brittney's FaceBook post, it was her 9.3x62 they refused to take on the plane leaving the US.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

It would be very interesting to hear all the details on this. I wonder if she notified them ahead of time that she was taking guns. I just can't find anything today to substantiate that BA has changed its policy on carrying guns.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Reading the comments on her post, there are several guys stating that as of April 1, 2013, BA is no longer accepting firearms for carriage into SA. Of course, this is not confirmed policy, just relaying her post here.

I have to say however, that BA and firearms carriage issues just seems to keep coming up again and again. Mark, you'll remember I started a thread awhile back asking about experiences with BA and firearms. That particular thread was overwhelmed with BA supporters. Hardly 2 weeks later, another member posted he had just had an issue with them and THAT thread was overwhelmed with BA opponents.

I hate to say it but it seems like one of those "if there's smoke there's fire" type scenarios to me. That may be completely unfair but I don't see the same problems repeatedly being raised with Delta and SAA. None of them are great, but I'd sure hate to have a trip diminished because the airline refused carriage of my weapons.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Todd,

It would be very interesting to hear all the details on this. I wonder if she notified them ahead of time that she was taking guns. I just can't find anything today to substantiate that BA has changed its policy on carrying guns.

Mark

Agreed Mark,

We need all the details. Right now, it's just Brittney's FB post and speculation thereafter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Just sent an e-mail off to BA asking for a clarification. I'll post what I find out.

I've had this BA discussion for years. If you look at the overall comments by the opponents they are mostly people who know someone that knew someone that had a bad experience. When you look further you often discover that these folks didn't do their do diligence and caused their own problems.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Below from the PHASA website. Note the date at the end of this article.

My guess is that something happened with Brittany's personal booking that has nothing to do with BA's overall policy. Perhaps whoever arranged her travel just dropped the ball.

BA/Comair traveling with firearms

As the BA/ComAir decision directly effects many of the international hunting tourists visiting South Africa, PHASA had regular discussions with ComAir management over the past two weeks regarding it’s decision to no longer transport firearms.

PHASA was given the assurance that the decision to no longer transport firearms, was purely based on business principles.

The quotation from RAPS, the security company at ACSA airports responsible for handling firearms, makes it impossible for BA/ComAir to cover the costs of transporting firearms in Southern Africa. The figures quoted to us was that 2060 firearms were transported last year, at a cost of R3million to BA/ComAir.

PHASA has approached TBCSA (Tourism Business Council of South Africa) and AASA (Airlines Association of Southern Africa) for assistance in this regard.

ComAir senior management had a meeting on 20 February and informed PHASA that:

1) ComAir has received a revised quotation from RAPS in this regard, which they unfortunately still could not accept.

2) ComAir is in the process of finding an amicable resolution, and specifically so regarding the transport of hunting firearms and will keep me informed.

3) Although it was indicated that they will no longer transport firearms as from 1 March 2013, they have agreed at this stage to honour all bookings on any BA/Comair or Kulua flights until 31 March 2013.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
You mean kind of like how Mark Sullivan has had 1,000 charges and always shoots his clients buffalo for them!!

sofa

Smiler Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the R3Million quote. It's just another piece of baggage for crying out loud! What a bunch of wankers?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Any additional word on BA and firearms?

Obviously, I was funning with you a bit concerning the Sullivan reference. I certainly hope you took it a such.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

No response to my e-mail to BA yet but I think it's pretty clear that BA is still carrying guns. I'm dense so I didn't really get what you were saying about Mark Sullivan but no I did not take it as any kind of insult.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mark. Just that with Sullivan, it's always someone told me about a guy who said he shoots buffalo with a 22 to get them to charge. But everyone who has actually hunted with him has only good things to say about the man. Just a bit of sarcasm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it. DUH!

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may well be right and Brit didn't do something she was supposed to under their rules. there seems to be an awful lot of people chiming in about it though. In my opinion why fly an airline that makes my life difficult? As to going to Namibia through London normally I would agree bad choice. In this case she was going to visit friends before going on. What irritates me about BA is they put all these extra restrictions that no one else seems to need in place. Then like every airline no two people can give you a straight answer as to what the policy is on any given day. I am waiting to hear the response myself as now I am unsure. Either way it is too much drama to screw with them IMO.

Steve, the truth is I don't know. I only have the limited info from the face book page and chat. I am now second guessing this whole thing myself.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, BA do have a long standing rule that they require 72 hours notice of travelling with firearms and if that info isn't put into the booking correctly, the agent isn't supposed to accept the firearm.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I emailed one of my friends in BA management about this and have had the following reply:

"Steve

I have checked with our security teams and can state that currently can categorically state that BA have not stopped carrying firearms and specifically there is no prohibition on carrying sporting firearms to South Africa. There are restrictions and prohibitions on some routes; these will either be because we do not have security handling facilities in place or because of UK trade restrictions that prohibit the export from or transfer through the UK of firearms to certain countries.

BA don't fly directly to Namibia, so it is likely that the specific passenger issue referred to (Brittany Boddington) involved carriage on Comair - and as people have already indicated, they have ceased carrying firearms. BA.COM is up to date with the current requirements.

Please can you update the forums, If anyone has any issues please ask them to contact Customer Relations directly."

As always, my thanks to BA and my friends there for their prompt and efficient help. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Below is BA's response my e-mail question concerning them carrying firearms. It would seem that Brittany's problem was with her personal reservation and not with BA refusing to carry firearms.

Response Via Email (Suzannah) 03/04/2013 07.09 AM (GMT)
Dear Mr Young

Thank you for writing to us about the sporting firearms you wish to carry on our flight.

You can carry the firearms and ammunition for your travel with British Airways. However, you must call one of our contact centres at least 72 hours before your flight if you intend to travel with firearms and/or ammunition. Their telephone numbers for your nearest British Airways office can be found at:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ctclist

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
So my guess is either she failed to give them 72 hours notice or it is the Comair thing. So looks like the ball was in her court. Either way though still too much extra kock.

Happiness is a warm gun