New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia Trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I have just returned from a great trip to SA, East Cape , with Denham Bowker as our PH. This was our third safari in the past three years to SA. Each seemed to get better. In our last two trips we have flown from Minnapolis to JFK, to Joburg to Port Elizabeth.

We now are looking into a 2009 May/June safari to Zambia. Paticularly interesred in hunting Cape Buffalo, Sable, and Roan. We would greatly appreciate any information regarding such a hunt. Such as: Best travel route, other animals to hunt that may not be available in SA, potential costs, tarvel problems, recommended outfiters and PH's,etc.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have a couple options for you. PM Sent.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be carefull about booking agents sending you their opinions. I hunt Zambia EVERY year and am not a booking agent. Will send some personal opinions tomm. No disrepect intended.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
chipolopolo:

Thank you I would appreciate all the information that I can obtain. Have hunted SA three years in a row and would like to try other areas in Africa.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
Be carefull about booking agents sending you their opinions. I hunt Zambia EVERY year and am not a booking agent. Will send some personal opinions tomm. No disrepect intended.

Wendell books for DuPlooy in Zambia which, according to the thread in the hunting reports section, is who you hunt with in Zambia also.

I'm doing 21 days with DuPlooy next July going after lion with Alister as my PH. If you've got any tips for the trip, I'd love to hear them.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience in Zambia has been wonderful. The people the places and the "Zambia only" species are second to none. I have hunted with the duPlooy's, specifically Alister Norton five years straight. The term came as client left as friend isn't enough they treat me as a family member I have seen their daughters grow up and have held their new one (Rebecca). The camps are proper the hunting areas are well cared for the trophy quality is exceptional and as far as a cat man goes Alister is tops. I have never hunted with Johnny but spent alot of time with him in his camp 30 minutes from Alisters, I would hunt with him in a heartbeat, Alister is just my pal. Alister hunts mostly Nyaminga side and Johnny the Chanjuzi side but they do switch. Time of year, I like july and august, most of the grass is burnt the days are warm not hot like here in Phoenix that time of year the impalas and pukus haven't dropped young yet so I like July August and maybe the first week or two of September before it gets to hot to sleep well. (75-78 nights)spent august 16 thru september 8th this year and did 2 camps. Tondwa for Sable (44")livingstones eland then Luangwa for Buff and leopard. Tondwa is a garden of eden, Sitatunga, roan, puku, sable, blue duiker, bush pig etc. No buff or cats or even elephants. The Luangwa is just buff, cats, kudus, bushbuck, grysbok, and the only place in the world for cooksons wildebeest. So one long safari or two seperate safaris and you will learn to love Zambia as I have. Hope it helps
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve! If you're here in Phoenix we'll have to get together and have a beer so I can pick your brain.

Lee

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,
When is your trip? Alister comes here for a week or two in the off season if you haven't met the hooligan yet good chance to. I think it makes for a smoother trip. You dont have that 2 days getting to know each other thing to do. And yes he IS a hooligan.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My trip is July 1-21. I met Alister briefly at the DSC convention a couple of years ago, and would definately like to get together with you guys when he comes into town. I'll PM you my phone number, but I'm going to be traveling for the next few days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee....I'm chimming in here as I know Steve and Alister and can comfirm 100% what he says. I too just returned from a safari with the DuPlooy's and had a fantastic time....and posted such in the Hunt Report forum. Steve's assesment of client/friend is spot on....Johnny, Alister, Abie and Terry...and also Joey, an junior PH are awesome and a hoot to be around. That being said, I also met Wendell last year in Dallas and I know he books for Johnny and Johnny seems to have high regard for him also.
In my opinion, anyone hunting Zambia with Muchinga Adventures is in for a great trip. Not saying there aren't others....but I can't speak to that.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am not sure who Doug Reynolds is hunting with over there now, but I can vouch that he is a great hunter and a lot of fun on safari!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
got back from Zambia in June hunted with Deplooy's
If you go hunt with Alister.
Take a leopard while there. They are called tree rats there. Basic camp but great area
Wendell is a good, honest guy you can take his advice.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I too have hunted with Alister and can't say enough good about him or Chanjuzi.

Wendell is a friend and I'd trust him with my life. Great combo of booking agent and PH.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second everything that has been said about Alister and the DuPlooys including that Alister is a hooligan Big Grin. Alister MADE the safari for my wife and I. He is tops. We are already making plans to return and hunt with him.

Johnny's concessions are good ones too, BTW. You won't go wrong booking with them.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Well, here's another vote of confidence for the duPlooy operation, Alister and Wendell.

Alister is fantastic. He came to DSC two years ago at my request and after SCI he came and stayed at my house for a few days. He is GREAT guy and one helluva hunter.

I know Wendell personally and you won't go wrong working with him. He can be trusted and that's saying a lot these days!!

Check out the hunting reports forum. There are plenty of stories about Muchinga Adventures and Zambia. I wrote one called "The Luangwa Leopard" as I recall. Written around October 2006.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HEY.....I think Laura and Johnny need to give us a cut for all this marketing we're doing! Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I'm arranging a 2x2 leopard/buff for a couple of clients now with Laura for 2011.

CButler is with them now and has taken Kafue lechwe, tseesbe, black lechwe, hippo, zebra, duiker and bushbuck. Lions are feeding but not the right one yet.

Mark

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark...sorry...just saw your post. I tried to call Charles and chat with him again just before he left...but missed him. I can't imagine he isn't having a great time...he'll get his lion I'm sure. Sounds like he's slingin' lead at other things though!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm down to 236 days until I leave! I'm sure it will fly by. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I'm wating on an update from Laura. Charles had shot most everything he wated except buff and lion last time I knew include both lechwes and tseesbe. I'll post what I find out.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,
I hate to say this, but wait till you spend a little time with Alister in January as time will begin stand still. He'll try to make you think he's actually a gentleman but hell he still insists on pissing on my lawn.
Steve (sorry)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Sounds like a party! If you like smoked brisket we can have a BBQ at my place on a Saturday and Alister can have the run of the yard!

Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,
thats fine with me we'll let the bushman ruin your lawn, instead of mine.
See you in Jan.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!