New
Find
Notify
Tools

currency dates
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read a while back, in a thread I now can't find, that the currency you take into Zimbabwe could be mint dated no later than a certain date. What is that date? Thanks very much.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think what you're probably referring to is the old 'small head' notes.

Older issue notes have a 'small head' on them and in many parts of Africa, the locals either won't accept them or are reluctant to do so because they believe them to be forgeries or possible forgeries.

Any newer, 'big head' notes are usually acceptable though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not quite.

The Zimbabwe Government issued a statement last year that they would not accept US currency minted before 2003 - So you couldn't wander into parks with even the 'new' style US$100 bills minted in 1996,1999 or 2001.

The banks of course would take them and so will most busniess... and the government has learned to be a bit less fussy... but no, old 'small head' notes can be banked but not spent - And even then do not reflect in your account for 6 weeks.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Don and Steve. I thought there was some kind of restriction but could not remember the mint date stated.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In some other countries too, money changers do not take bills minted before 2003.

No idea what's the rationale behind it...

Also, over most of Africa, you get full exchange rate only on $100 and $50 bills. Smaller denominations are exchanged 10%-20% below rate, and at times refused.

Can't remember how many times I had this conversation with a visitor or the other:

Me, thinking "Oh no, not that again...": "You've got only 5s, 10s, and 20s?????"

"Yes. I figured it would be easier with smaller change. And I have plenty of $1 too, for the tips!" Self-satisfied and cunning smile of the new H. M. Stanley.

"But I told you to bring only 100s!!!"

"Yes, sure, but I thought..." The "I thought" conveys the self assurance of a careful expedition planner.

"I did not ask you what you thought about it, I TOLD you on the phone, and I WROTE you in an email, to bring only 100s!!!"

The chief-explorer looks at me with suspicion. I must be one of these hard-nosed deprecating oppressors who does not want anyone to give a tip to the poor smiling helpful gentle whoever-it-is around.

"What's the problem with that? What difference does it make to you?"

"To me none, absolutely none. But instead of 1150 Banashells for a dollar, they'll give you 900..."

Puzzled look: "What do you mean???"

"I mean exactly that. As I said, it doesn't make a difference to me, but you just jacked up your vacations' costs by 20%..."

"????"

"And by the way, next time I tell you something, don't THINK, just do it. You may end up very sick or stupidly dead with too much thinking, around here..."

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crisp bills are better in some areas (Eastern Europe, Central Asia, FSU) as crumpled ones get discounted. Also you can carry more crisp bills unobtrusively.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my way out of TZ now, RON in Amsterdam. We had a couple of problems with older hundreds in Arusha, but generally, they were accepted. It'd be agood idea to ask your bank to provide you with the latest versions of all currency denomonations for travel. Counterfeiting is rampant and the older bills are the ones most commonnly bogus. Just a few years ago, even many European banks would not take the older hundreds. The counterfeiters are that good.

Hunt report later. I'm still on the way home.

BTW, they love ones and fives for tips in camp and in town. I always take a wad of ones and fives. No problem.

Ciao.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote